PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Junk Yard

Moses03
December 17th, 2010, 09:34
"Umm yeah, do you possibly have a 30mm hex bolt for a Focke-Wulf 190?"

http://i56.tinypic.com/2vjy4as.jpg

rpjkw
December 17th, 2010, 10:35
This pic looks like it's from an old Kadachrome slide, so my guess would be it was taken in Germany shortly after WWII.

Great post! Thanks,

Bob

Bjoern
December 17th, 2010, 11:18
Those...poor...aircraft... *Goes fetal* ....poor....aircraft... *Sob* ...poor...

stansdds
December 17th, 2010, 11:57
That's just depressing.

TARPSBird
December 17th, 2010, 12:07
Thre were piles of Axis and Allied planes like that all over the world shortly after the end of the war. Sometimes brand-new aircraft were declared surplus and disposed of. It's always sad to see well-built machinery in such bad shape. :frown:

magoo
December 17th, 2010, 12:09
When you see the results of some of the latest warbird restorations that began with pulling a wreck out of a lake or muskeg (Actually...millions of dollars coated with aluminum and squeezed into the shape of a plane based on the wreck....)....you have to wonder how many of those war-end dumps were simply bulldozed over with landfill and may still hold (hopefully) mumified airframes and components today.

Besides the obvious Focke Wulf on the top of the pile, I can make out a Stuka on it's back, and what may be an Me-262 half buried in there.

I think we've read countless times how most of the late-war Luftwaffe were no so much shot down, but were grounded due to lack of parts and fuel. Photos I've seen over the years lead me to believe there dumps like that all over the place. Many previously occupied countries simply kept German service aircraft to restart their own airforces in 1946, but in Germany, it seems the bulldozer ruled with some provisional accountability and a tight time-line.

....Makes the mind race.

TeaSea
December 17th, 2010, 12:16
It does seem a little sad....but remember all that metal that was going into war machinery was not going into appliances, cars, trains, etc......

The commercial world needed all that material back and needed it back fast!

Moses03
December 17th, 2010, 12:50
....you have to wonder how many of those war-end dumps were simply bulldozed over with landfill and may still hold (hopefully) mumified airframes and components today.

Was thinking the same thing magoo. Once it was covered over with dirt, I bet the pine trees quickly encroached back over the area easily hiding the spot. Buried under a mature forest now. Like you said, one can wonder.

Remembering some of that old Navy footage where they are pushing perfectly good Wildcats, Hellcats, Helldivers etc into the drink. Now that hurts!

Emil Frand
December 17th, 2010, 12:56
A Marine vet told me how they buried brand new Hellcats still in the crates on some island.

Willy
December 17th, 2010, 14:24
Under the terms of Lend Lease, a lot of the aircraft that went to our allies had to be either paid for or destroyed at the end of the war. So guess what happened?

HouseHobbit
December 17th, 2010, 15:26
Yea but to have to remember in 1945 the allies were tired of war and anything to do with it..
And all those german aircraft represented " the Evil Enemy "..

Now we say OH NO, but then they were saying THANK GOD...

TeaSea
December 17th, 2010, 15:33
My thoughts exactly Mr. Hobbitt.....

Think how many Harley Davidson's came out of those things.....