PDA

View Full Version : Duel Saitek Throttle Quadrant HELP!

Capt.Vaughn
December 16th, 2010, 02:05
<TABLE class=tablebg cellSpacing=1 width="100%"><TBODY><TR class=row1><TD class=profile vAlign=top></TD><TD vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=5 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD>I just bought 2 Saitek throttle quadrants for my A2A B17 with Accusim. I finally managed to asign them to the engines, the first 4 leavers are engines 1,2,3,4 and the last two leavers are prop pitch and fuel mixture. My problem is this, If any of you have a Saitek throttle quadrant you will know what Im talking about, when you have the throttle all the way back, there is a "notch" that the throttle sets in. when I pull the throttle"up" out of the notch, the corresponding throttle inside the B17, jumps about half way up. The 3rd throttle leaver on both quadrants are the only ones that "move up" slowly instead of jumping to the half way point of the throttle inside the B17. I figure thats probably because by default from Saitek on each quadrant, the first 2 leavers are mixture and prop pitch the third being the actual throttle. Ive tried everything I can think of. Ive calabrated a thousand times, Ive adjust sensitivity, null zones, anything I could think of. I know it can be done, what am I missing? Also i have Windows 7. I dont have FSUIPC. Is that the problem? Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

HighGround22
December 16th, 2010, 06:17
Well, I'm not certain that this is your problem, but do you have a copy of FSUIPC running with your FS installation?

Not knowing what I was really doing, I thought I'd mess around with FSUIPC's Calibration setup. Y'know, just toying around to see if it improved things or not. Well, from that point onwards, I was having trouble as you describe, but I just didn't mentally connect the two events.

For months, I was pulling my hair out. Calibrated 'till the cows came home. Null Zones, Sensitivity, the works. Even bought new Saitek controllers, hoping I could "start afresh". Nothing worked. Nuffink!

Then one day, the penny dropped and I probed around down at the bottom of my FSX.CFG (made a backup copy first, of course) and found a section relating to FSUIPC's calibration (can't remember the details, but it was obvious). I removed those sections, saved, and VOILA! The problem went away, and I've been happier than a clam, ever since.

It's worth a peek in your FSX.cfg to see whether you accidentally had a go at FSUIPC's Calibration.

Daveroo
December 16th, 2010, 08:30
well i think the "detent" at the bottom of the "stroke".(just like on the CH products) is for another key assignment...it took me awhile to "get it"..but calibrate from the stop ABOVE the stop(detent) to the top only..then when you pull the lever all the way back in to the detent you can use that to assign a key value..like the reverser on a turboprop,,,,,on CH products,,,,,you bring the trottle back into the detent,and flip the switch below it up and the reverser kicks in,,,,but you have to use the ch products or FSUIPC software to set that up

i dont know about calibrating with FSUIPC...again i have CH,,i use the CH software to calibrate as its more sensitive ( in my opionion) than windows,and then i set my assignments in FSX....

maybe try calibrating with the sieteck software if it comes with it..or you can download it...and then set up your assignment ( its just easier than fsuipc's numbers)in FSX,,but remember to stay ABOVE the detent when calibrating...

big-mike
December 16th, 2010, 09:01
Has one of the throttles a PS2 connector?

modelr
December 16th, 2010, 09:42
Has one of the throttles a PS2 connector?

Not if they are strctly the "add-on" (stand-a-lone) throttle Quadrants. The PS2 connector is only on the quadrant that comes as part of the yoke.

Daveroo is correct about the detents. Set your bottom throttle movement at the detent, not below it. The part below the detent is another control/switch.

big-mike
December 16th, 2010, 10:10
I have this Yoke system with an extra throttle too.
S o i know the throttle coming with the yoke has an PS2 connector.
With this throttle i have trouble,since i bought the system
and in my opinion this PS2 connection causes these troubles.
So i understand,what Cpt.Vaughn means,i have the same issue.
Today i ordered a PS2 to USB adapter and hope,this solves the problem.
If it doesn`t,i will buy an CH TQ.
The "notch" Cpt.Vaughn mentioned is not the button,which directly sits below.
So the question is,if Cpt.Vaugh have two throttles,both with USB connectors?

warchild
December 16th, 2010, 10:18
The problem your seeing lays in the fact that when you set up fsx for the quadrants, they are automatically assigned a default set of control responses, such as switching views, lowering flaps, etc.. it appears that the easiect way to eliminate the unwanted behaviour is to simply delete the extra control sets, but the truth of the matter is that those controls have been moved over from your main joystick.. You'll need to open the controls window, and reassign all the button controls back to your main joystick and eliminate them from your throttle quadrant..

Capt.Vaughn
December 16th, 2010, 13:34
Thanks for the feedback, I dont have a registered version of FSUIPC, I dont know if maybe thats the problem? Maybe it would work better with it? I just calabrate to the detent, I dont go below it, I have found where the detent is assigned to other functions and deleted those. Both of the quadrants are USB, I use a CH Products yoke, The problem is when I have all throttles set at 0% (not below the detent but above it) when i start to push the throttle up, they jump to 50%, then I have full control up to 100%. Then the same thing when I pull the throttles back down, full control down to 50% then jump to 0%. Nothing in between 0% and 50%. Thanks for any ideas on how to fix this.

big-mike
December 16th, 2010, 13:39
Have you deleted the throttle,prop and mixture axis of your CH-Yoke?

GypsyBaron
December 16th, 2010, 13:54
Thanks for the feedback, I dont have a registered version of FSUIPC, I dont know if maybe thats the problem? Maybe it would work better with it? I just calabrate to the detent, I dont go below it, I have found where the detent is assigned to other functions and deleted those. Both of the quadrants are USB, I use a CH Products yoke, The problem is when I have all throttles set at 0% (not below the detent but above it) when i start to push the throttle up, they jump to 50%, then I have full control up to 100%. Then the same thing when I pull the throttles back down, full control down to 50% then jump to 0%. Nothing in between 0% and 50%. Thanks for any ideas on how to fix this.

A registered copy of FSUIPC4 is well worth the price.

I use it constantly to create complex control/button assignments that are aircraft specific.

I seem to recall way back when I installed my Saitek Pro with dual quadrants that the
default calibration put some of the axis at 50% for "0".

Here is my joystick calibration section from my FSUIPC4.ini file which is specific to
the A2A B-17G.

I suggest that you set the "ShortAircraftNameOk=Yes" in the INI file so that all variations
of a given aircraft will use the same Button and axis sections. Note that the "short name"
for the A2A B-17g is "Boeing B-17G"...the "common part" of all the names listed
in the "Title=" sections of the aircraft.cfg file.

Paul

[[JoystickCalibration.Boeing B-17G]
AllowSuppressForPFCquad=Yes
ExcludeThrottleSet=No
ExcludeMixtureSet=Yes
ExcludePropPitchSet=Yes
SepRevsJetsOnly=No
ApplyHeloTrim=No
FlapsSetControl=0
FlapDetents=No
ReverserControl=66292
Reverser1Control=66422
Reverser2Control=66425
Reverser3Control=66428
Reverser4Control=66431
MaxThrottleForReverser=256
AileronTrimControl=66731
RudderTrimControl=66732
CowlFlaps1Control=66162
CowlFlaps2Control=66163
CowlFlaps3Control=66164
CowlFlaps4Control=66165
SteeringTillerControl=0
MaxSteerSpeed=60
Aileron=-16380,-512,512,16380/8
SlopeAileron=4
Elevator=-16380,-512,512,13339/8
SlopeElevator=8
Rudder=-16380,-512,512,16380/8
SlopeRudder=4
Throttle=-16256,16256
PropPitch=-16193,16192
Mixture=-16193,16192/16
Spoilers=-16384,16383/16
Flaps=-16384,16383/24
UseAxisControlsForNRZ=No

Capt.Vaughn
December 16th, 2010, 17:07
Thanks for all the replys, i did end up buying a registered version of FSUIPC 4 and that did the trick, a spent a couple hours trying to figure FSUIPC out, but eventually I got all throttles assigned, calabrated and in working order. Its going to take a while to figure out all the features of FSUIPC. Thanks again for the replys.

GypsyBaron
December 16th, 2010, 18:09
The "FSUIPC4 for Advanced Users.pdf" and the "FSUIPC Lua Library.pdf" documents
contain the information on the most powerful functions available with FSUIPC4.

Also the "List of FSX controls.pdf" should be kept handy for reference.

With FSUIPC4 and Lua you can create aircraft-specific profiles that will allow you to
map scores of functions to your dual quadrant setup.

I have a profile for the A2A Accu-sim B377 that has over 60 functions mapped to my
dual quads.

For the A2A Accu-sim B17G I mapped over 70 functions to the quads.

I can pretty much enter the VC of those aircraft, bring the engines to life along with
various other systems, taxi out, fly and cruise pretty much without having to touch
the keyboard or use the mouse to operate switches or controls.

Essentially, you can have more "Modes" than you can deal with, unlike the
Saitek software that gives you perhaps 3 modes.

Paul

Merlin216
December 17th, 2010, 05:20
I know you have fixed your issue with FSUIPC, but did you ever remove the deadzones on the controls? It sounds a little weird one throttle wouldnt have the deadzone and the others did so I assume you might have messed with them already. I too have a set of Saitek throttles and I had to stop using them because they arent synced properly. Without a deadzone, I can have all throttles roughly at the same point, and they will all read very different positions.

big-mike
December 17th, 2010, 06:20
Thanks for all the replys, i did end up buying a registered version of FSUIPC 4 and that did the trick, a spent a couple hours trying to figure FSUIPC out, but eventually I got all throttles assigned, calabrated and in working order. Its going to take a while to figure out all the features of FSUIPC. Thanks again for the replys.

Would you please explain,what you did in FSUIPC to get the throttles working properly?