PDA

View Full Version : Apple is pulling me in.......!

Lionheart
November 27th, 2008, 10:13
Well, after the impressive 'integration' with the iPod software and iTunes, I am now using Safari, their net browser... Working good so far!

hmmm......

:ernae:

Bill

buzzbee
November 27th, 2008, 10:19
Safari works pretty good. The Apple software updater works pretty well too.

At the Law firm I work for about half of us have Apple notebooks as our personal laptop.

Panther_99FS
November 27th, 2008, 10:26
I'm pretty much positive that my next laptop will be an Apple/Macintosh...:mixedsmi:

stiz
November 27th, 2008, 12:05
good luck trying to play COD4 without a lot of hassel on a mac!! :isadizzy:

Lionheart
November 27th, 2008, 12:22
Stiz,

Its comes with a free built in Windows XP edition OS as an alternative for running IBM based games and software on.

:d

Bill

Lionheart
November 27th, 2008, 12:23
I'm pretty much positive that my next laptop will be an Apple/Macintosh...:mixedsmi:

Me too P. They just released their new line of MacBooks.. The screens are made just like the iPods with that tight grommit all the way around. Glass is right to the knifes edge.

hey_moe
November 27th, 2008, 13:43
The laptop I brought a few months back was one of my better investments, has not missed a lick and has nice features...Mke

stiz
November 27th, 2008, 13:50
Stiz,

Its comes with a free built in Windows XP edition OS as an alternative for running IBM based games and software on.

Bill

so you buy a mac cos your not happy with windows, yet you still end up useing windows anyway? :costumes: :173go1::ernae:

Lionheart
November 27th, 2008, 14:15
lolol... is that your point? It has XP! I have vista. A shame that I have to go to apple to get XP, lol.. and its proven on the max speeds on the equipment (hardware) to run at the best speeds.

If thats what it takes.... Thats all I can say.

I also like how the side software works, the refinements and all with Apple. Very impressive.

:wavey:

MCDesigns
November 27th, 2008, 14:21

I'm sorry! :d

Panther_99FS
November 27th, 2008, 14:51
good luck trying to play COD4 without a lot of hassel on a mac!! :isadizzy:

If I got a Mac laptop, it would be for work purposes :mixedsmi:

Panther_99FS
November 27th, 2008, 14:52
The laptop I brought a few months back was one of my better investments, has not missed a lick and has nice features...Mke

Yep and OS X "Leopard" is quite nice :mixedsmi:

Panther_99FS
November 27th, 2008, 14:53
Hmmm...
I don't know what's worse...a Windows/Mac debate or a FS2004/FSX debate...:d ;)

djscoo
November 27th, 2008, 15:02
That macbook air sure is enticing. I used to not like it, considering how limited the scope of usage for it is, but really the only thing I'll ever use a laptop for is internet and maybe word processing. I just wish the thing wasn't so darn expensive (pretty much all Apple product are though...). The Dell Inspiron mini 9 is what I've got me eye on now...

Cratermaker
November 27th, 2008, 16:27
When I got my mac, I would try to price any other laptop with the same features and the price was actually pretty close. They threw in a printer (which I needed), and an iPod (which I'm glad I got) so I'm pretty sure it was the same price or cheaper in that case.

I got a copy of XP through the school for $29 I think. They were selling it cheap in any case.

I find myself in OSX and XP about 50/50.

Pepere
November 27th, 2008, 17:41
Well, after the impressive 'integration' with the iPod software and iTunes, I am now using Safari, their net browser... Working good so far!

hmmm......

:ernae:

Bill

I just loaded Safari and am going to give it a try. Thanks for the HU.

David

Pepere
November 27th, 2008, 17:46
Stiz,

Bill

Do you still need graphics cards? Or are they just built in?

David

Lionheart
November 27th, 2008, 20:19
Do you still need graphics cards? Or are they just built in?

David

They are using high end industry GC's now, such as nVidia. They recently did a joint venture with nVidia to create a new experimental chip that has an integrated GC system. Supposedly its much faster as the GC link with the ECU (or what ever the main chip(s) are called), is emmediate and not going through Mobo routings.

But I dont know if thats out. I think you also have the option of adding your own GC.

Mind you guys, I dont have an Apple yet. I only have an iPod Touch and I am really impressed with it.

There are some informative tutorials and all (movies of sorts) on Apples at the apple.com website. (Thats what I have been watching).

Bill

Cratermaker
November 27th, 2008, 20:38
If anyone likes manuals for the OS's, I recommend Windows XP in a Nutshell and MAC OS X Leopard Edition: The Missing Manual.

hey_moe
November 28th, 2008, 01:37
Something you will notice on the Apple computer with either a lap or a tower is the graphics are nuthin but sweet.Also when using Leopard OS when enlarging the rcreading screen the is no distortion what so ever. When the Aple goes into sleep mode it is very fast and you don't need any security software with this OS.

WND
November 28th, 2008, 05:19
Keep in mind that I AM NOT as computer savey as a lot of you folks are, so these questions mind be on the dumb side...

I currently run Windows XP and Explorer. I have tried several "brouser's" but haven't found one that suits my fancy yet.

Are you saying that I can run Safari on Windows XP?

And are you saying that I can switch over to a MAC OS and still run FS9 and whatever else??

Bill

WND
November 28th, 2008, 05:28
:banghead:

Cratermaker
November 28th, 2008, 05:41
There is a version of Safari that runs under Windows.

You will need a copy of XP installed on to a partition on the Mac to play any Windows based games. Really no way around that. I'm not sure what all games will work this way, there might be some that don't. I haven't found any non-game software that won't run on XP on my Mac.

Really, hardware-wise, current Macs are Intel PCs. Just running OSX by default.

The only ones I know for sure work, because I tried them, is the FSX demo and C&C 3. They both ran flawlessly. This was on a MacBook Pro laptop. I wasn't really interested in making it my game machine though. Just had to install a couple of things "just in case" I ever got bored somewhere. :mixedsmi:

TeaSea
November 28th, 2008, 06:28
Okay, let me make sure I understand this....

The selling point of a MAC is that it runs Windows, which it was designed to compete with, allowing you to run a different OS and browser, which you can now run under windows, so you can run a MAC, which allows you to run windows.....

:isadizzy::d

Actually, I think both platforms have their pluses and minuses and I think its great if you can use what works best for your mission.

sparks
November 28th, 2008, 06:48
A few select quotes from Tom's Hardware Guide:

Despite what Apple’s TV ads might want you to believe, Windows PCs remain the standard for personal computers. This isn’t about ignorance—it’s all about mainstream affordability and limitless extensibility.

Just last month, you could get a complete Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 with 3 GB of RAM, a 500 GB hard disk, and Windows Vista Premium from the Dell Outlet for under $400.

When the $600 Apple Mac Mini only offers an anemic 1.83 GHz Core 2 Duo with 1 GB of memory and 80 GB of storage, it’s hard to make the case for the “Apple Tax.”

Windows PCs remain one of the most technologically advanced platforms. Only Windows offers the constant evolution of new hardware and software. Want the latest Nvidia or AMD graphics card? Just plop it in. Want to activate the PhysX capabilities of your GeForce card? Just install new drivers.

While Apple is challenging consumers to make the switch away from the most popular operating system in the world, the Apple world is one of conformity. Once you decide to play in the Apple sandbox, you are stuck in the Apple sandbox.

I can’t buy a laptop with eSATA or an iMac with a Core 2 Quad or a monitor-less Mac with a Core 2 Duo and an Nvidia GPU.

BananaBob
November 28th, 2008, 07:39
When I went back to college, many years ago now, LOL, we used Macs for Commercial Art and Design, but this was in 95 so I don't remember much about them, but when they can compete with PC's power for power with comparable prices, I'll look into them, they seem to market the rich, well, anyone who makes over 800 dollars a month like myself that is, LOL :d

Cratermaker
November 28th, 2008, 07:56
Getting a Mac laptop was an easier choice perhaps, knowing that upgrades are limited on all laptops anyway.

Still, I can boot into either OS. It does depend on what I am doing. And though I haven't price compared since I bought mine, they were the same price given the same features (remember, I'm talking laptop) and I just couldn't argue with the compactness, weight, and style. Not sure if LED backlights are the norm now or not on laptops, but at the time mine was new, and setting it down next to a Dell or HP or whatever, the screen image difference just blew me away.

My desktop is a PC. I built it, with a little help from txnetcop. :mixedsmi: My best, most reliable desktop yet.

Pepere
November 28th, 2008, 08:23
I went make believe shopping at:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/mac_pro?mco=MTE3MDQ

and spent 6,000.00 and that's without a monitor + not the top end..

David

Lionheart
November 28th, 2008, 08:45

David

LOLOLOL!!!! Oh My GOODNESS!!! An 8 Core with a 4 (four) terrabyte HD and 32 gigs of memory???? lolol.... DANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I NEED ONE!!!

Lionheart
November 28th, 2008, 08:52
You guys,

For me, when I lost my computer almost a year ago, and I went through battles with HP trying to get XP, and have suffered the loss of tons of data trying to load up XP on a vista HD, etc, etc, etc.. and going through the daily goofy things that vista does that XP never did, I lost my faith in MS. I have been looking for a good system.

Think about it.. I needed a computer that has XP on it, and Apple does, lol.. Second, I want a new OS that is good, dependable. One whose update service wont erase my HD's. I need something good, powerful, stable, up to the times..

The iPod really impressed me and this is why I am heading that way. I am not trying to get people to come with me.. Its my own journey that I thought I would share with you all.

man... 4 Terrabyte HD with an 8 core Mobo, lol... That is wild! WILD!!!!!

Lionheart
November 28th, 2008, 11:12
I went back in to check that the 32 gigs of RAM was for real. It is, lol.. The 'four terrabyte' HD isnt, as they use 4 HD's in succession, but the RAM is indeed maxxable to 32 gigs of DDR2 RAM.

Goodness....

hey_moe
November 28th, 2008, 11:18
Did ya order one or two of them one for upstairs and one for downstairs.

David

djscoo
November 28th, 2008, 20:05

David
lol...if you choose the most expensive option in every category you get a $28,000 ($30,000 w/ Texas sales tax) computer :costumes:

Pepere
November 29th, 2008, 04:02
Did ya order one or two of them one for upstairs and one for downstairs.

In my make believe word "in my dreams" I've got one for each room.:costumes:

In reality I have to keep what I have till I turn 62 when I retire for "real". :costumes:

David

Lionheart
November 29th, 2008, 09:51
lol...if you choose the most expensive option in every category you get a $28,000 ($30,000 w/ Texas sales tax) computer :costumes:

Mine was pretty much up there to.. A Raid card shouldnt cost you $800.00. Alot of those prices seemed a bit inflated. But man, could you imagine the power of 8 gigs of DDR2 RAM memory? I still cant get over that.

Bill

djscoo
November 29th, 2008, 10:47
what would 32 gigs of RAM do for you anyway??