December 15th, 2010, 11:28
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11996311

nice

Dexdoggy
December 15th, 2010, 11:40
A great find, thankyou!

AndyE1976
December 15th, 2010, 11:43
Good find, I can't believe the idiot government is retiring the Harriers early.

There's one Sea Harrier that flies privately in the US, but the operator is an ex Harrier pilot. I can't see the CAA letting these go up in the hands of anyone but an ex-RAF or USMC pilot if at all.

Paul_Yorks
December 15th, 2010, 12:10
Spot the lack of legroom in there? Jeez, looks pretty cramped! And he's not a short chap, I reckon. My 6'+ would be a killer I think.

SkippyBing
December 15th, 2010, 12:23
The main limitation for Harrier aircrew is the buttock-thigh length as your knees need to clear the instrument panel when you eject.

I remember talking to a Shar mate when they were retired and he was of the opinion the only way the CAA would even think of letting one fly in private hands in the UK was if the nozzles were locked back. Even that is pretty unlikely and introduces other problems as they normally have them slightly vectored on approach.

spatialpro
December 15th, 2010, 13:14
If only the RNHF were willing and able to take one on (or had taken on an FRS1 or FA2 not so long ago)...

That way it would have had a support organisation, kept it's military registration and been flown at many airshows by military pilots.

I would have loved to see a Swordfish-Firefly-Sea Fury-Sea Hawk-Sea Harrier lineage in our skies...

Andy

SkippyBing
December 15th, 2010, 13:41
If only the RNHF were willing and able to take one on

Unfortunately the running costs of one Harrier are probably an order of magnitude more than the cost of running the entire RNHF!