PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Irritating Words of 2010

Wing_Z
December 15th, 2010, 11:04
According to a recent poll, 39% rated "Whatever" top of the list.
At 28% was "Like,...".
"You know what I mean" came in at 15%
My personal favourite: "Sweeet!"
You have to pucker up your mouth like a duck to do it right, and bob your head up and down, also like a duck.

Jagdflieger
December 15th, 2010, 11:23
I always find "duuude" a bit irritating.

I wonder what the German and Spanish equivalents to whatever, duude and sweeet are?

djscoo
December 15th, 2010, 11:44
My personal favourite: "Sweeet!"

:jump:

OQJz04kTPJ0

beana51
December 15th, 2010, 11:45
When in fact some are "MOVING BACKWARDS" they insist they are "MOVING FORWARD."...every time I hear that,I know they are not!!...."MOVING FORWARD!!"....YUCK!!

wiltzei
December 15th, 2010, 12:07
Not a new combination nor modification of word(s), but the expression "mid-air" has bugged me always. Either youīre in the air, or not. http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshots/images/735doh.gif

Whitehawk
December 15th, 2010, 12:28
'Near miss' lol! To me, near miss signifies that you NEARLY missed, i.e. you hit the target, but not a clean or a direct hit. Ah the English language, how it is being destroyed by (unfortunately) my generation and newer..

allcott
December 15th, 2010, 12:52
`At this location`

What's the matter with you Yanks? Can't you just say "HERE"?! :ernae:

PRB
December 15th, 2010, 13:46
"Pre" in front of words that don't need "pre" in front of them. Like "pre-determine". What is that anyway? Something you do before you determine. But it just means determine, so just say that! My favorite is "in terms of" just to sound important, in terms of more words in your sentence.

Quixoticish
December 15th, 2010, 13:55
The only thing I find rather irritating is people complaining that all of the wonderful and diverse nuances that creep into our lexicon each year are somehow irritating or wrong and the refusal to accept by many that they are not just the natural shifting evolution of verbal communication but are somehow an abrasive travesty. ;)

Curtis P40
December 15th, 2010, 14:57
Whatever

Sorry, I couldn't stop myself.

n4gix
December 15th, 2010, 15:55
Much more irritating to me is the rampant, improper use of pronouns!

I've even heard folks who have PhD's in English use pronouns improperly for pity's sake!

Only an absolute moron would ever say "Me went to the movies," yet even educated folks will say "Me and my wife..." <sigh>

Rami
December 15th, 2010, 16:11
I would have to go with the "texting" language, thought I'm guilty of it from time to time..

OMG
LOL
IMHO
LMAO
ROFLMAO
TTYN

You get the idea...and don't forget "refudiate."

Wing_Z
December 15th, 2010, 16:16
Whatever

LOL...
Sorry, I couldn't stop myself.

Navy Chief
December 15th, 2010, 16:25
Two words used often that I can't stand are:

Closure

and

Bipartisan

brad kaste
December 15th, 2010, 17:08
The word 'awesome.' This word has been on a roll for the past so many years,...at least in the States. Everything is 'awesome!!!' Awesome! Awesome!...And awesome! I'd expect this adjective come out of the mouths of many slack jawed teenagers since most have a limited vocabulary. Unfortunately,...this grossly overused word carries into adulthood. If I could take out a magic marker and removed that word from all dictionaries,....I would.

spotlope
December 15th, 2010, 17:26
The word 'awesome.' This word has been on a roll for the past so many years,...at least in the States. Everything is 'awesome!!!' Awesome! Awesome!...And awesome! I'd expect this adjective come out of the mouths of many slack jawed teenagers since most have a limited vocabulary. Unfortunately,...this grossly overused word carries into adulthood. If I could take out a magic marker and removed that word from all dictionaries,....I would.

And it's British counterpart, brilliant. Honestly, these two words need to be packed away for a year or two.

stiz
December 15th, 2010, 18:10
bill, that is a brilliant idea!! absolutly awesome! :icon_lol:

:bump:

jmig
December 15th, 2010, 18:33
The only thing I find rather irritating is people complaining that all of the wonderful and diverse nuances that creep into our lexicon each year are somehow irritating or wrong and the refusal to accept by many that they are not just the natural shifting evolution of verbal communication but are somehow an abrasive travesty. ;)

Ahhhhhh, tell me that in 30 years. :)

pilottj
December 15th, 2010, 19:03
Years ago my cousin started saying the teeny 'hecka' to replace 'hella' to replace 'hell'...boy that made my ears cringe.

It is 'hecka/hella' hot....er....just say its hotter than hell...or heck if you are so inclined. Even using the F bomb to decribe one's extreme envirionmenal condition would be better than 'hella'. :icon_lol:

OBIO
December 15th, 2010, 19:03
Irregardless. Not even a freaking word, but I hear people saying it everyday.

Went missing. I hate this phrase, yet it has become standard terminology for anytime something or someone freaking disappears or vanishes. She went missing a week ago. My wallet went missing. What ever happened to the time when people and things were abducted, kidnapped, or simply vanished? Next, we will be hearing magicians saying "And for my next trick, I will make this rabbit go missing!" And that will be the day I hang myself.

Emo. I have no idea what an Emo is...an Emu, yes...but not an Emo. Every picture I see of an Emo guy he looks like he is trying to be a girl or something. Emo girls...well they look like girls with really bad taste in clothing and no sense of style whatsoever. I have a nephew that is Emo...I can't tell you what his brother and cousin call him as it would not be PC and against forum rules....though I agree with them whole heartedly.

Terrorism. I hate how everything that is not PC is quickly becoming "terrorism". A 4 year old boy uses his finger and thumb to make a pistol and points at someone...it is no longer school yard Cops and Robbers, it is now terrorism. A guy kicks the neighbor's cat...terrorism. I suppose the way the bathroom smelled after my last dookie is terrorism...well, that one just MIGHT be terrorism!

OBIO

Wing_Z
December 15th, 2010, 19:17
"dookie"... *Shakes Head*
You know, I have never heard that word before today, and yet, I know EXACTLY what it means!
Amazing...

magoo
December 15th, 2010, 19:41
When offering a compliment or in the state of being impressed, many younger folks use the term,"sick...."
.....As in,"Wow.....is that Corvette sick!!"

I'm sorry....I just can't get my head around it. Bugs me.

johnh_049
December 15th, 2010, 20:19
What I really hate hearing is a couple of young people "conversating" whatever that is...:173go1:

Chacha
December 15th, 2010, 20:41
BAD... ... as in good....

My workmate told me: "Eli, man, you are bad"
He meant I rock, That I am good.... that whatever I looked like or what I did that day was bad as in good...

:bump: :bump: :bump:

Goodness, what happened to our vocabulary!
Confusing...

(and yes, like sick!)

Naismith
December 15th, 2010, 21:15
And it's British counterpart, brilliant. Honestly, these two words need to be packed away for a year or two.

Bring back SPLENDID. That would be totally wicked and awesome........ooops! lol

SADT
December 15th, 2010, 21:47
When offering a compliment or in the state of being impressed, many younger folks use the term,"sick...."
.....As in,"Wow.....is that Corvette sick!!"

I'm sorry....I just can't get my head around it. Bugs me.

Totally agree. When people say that, I think, they don't know the meaning of sick..........

(Interpret that in whichever ever way use "sick", in)

pilottj
December 15th, 2010, 21:57
Bring back the Jive ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RezHc7YRSlA

Whitehawk
December 15th, 2010, 22:57
I would have to go with the "texting" language, thought I'm guilty of it from time to time..

And that is now considered accepted in some school exams back in NZ..

SADT
December 15th, 2010, 23:37
And that is now considered accepted in some school exams back in NZ..

I know! Some kids in my class couldn't spell for Africa................

Yet they still got top marks :isadizzy:

flaminghotsauce
December 16th, 2010, 01:09
"Let me be clear" right before blatant bald-faced lies.

Penzoil3
December 16th, 2010, 01:54
As part of my job, I ask people leaving with a rental car if they need any directions. About six months ago, people started replying " I'm good." Well that's nice. I suppose it's preferable to being evil; but what the hell does it have to do with a yes or no question ? Where did that one come from suddenly ?
Sue

HouseHobbit
December 16th, 2010, 02:06
I grew up in a world were proper english was required..
And today any "english" is accepted..

I now realize how my parents were not impressed in the 60's-70's when I grew up, that many New words or meanings were being used..

Our English is an everchanging language, not set in stone..
Knowing and realizing this, I try to adjust to the times..
And as in the past what was popular to use to describe something today
will change tomorrow..

One of the things today everything is a terrorist, or predator..
This does disturb me..

As I have noticed (we) tend to use words that best cause a sensation
without being honest to the intent or meaning of the word..
as they say, welcome to the New world order..

And all this Political Correctness, is just a way to hide the truth..
What happened to the truth???
when you change a meaning or word to hide the truth, what have you done??
Just to make a Bad thing into a good thing that is terrible to do..

Good is still good, and bad is still bad, No matter what sweet name you now call it..

Okay off my soap box...:a1451:

Bushpounder
December 16th, 2010, 02:09
"We know what our constituents want"

I hate those words!!! They never do! LOL!

Don

allcott
December 16th, 2010, 02:29

Ah! the old `confluence of divergence` argument!

Surely the lexicon is only increased by increased verbosity, not by `natural shifting evolution`? The lexicon is only benefitted when evolution is not devolution. Otherwise we would all grunt at each other, monosyllabic languages would be the norm and the expression of complex theorems eruditely debated would be missing - or `texting` as it is more commonly known! :ernae:

Do you truly believe: "Wicked!" responded to by: "Whatever" benefits the lexicon or contributes to the understanding of the topic?

Degradation of language is a portent of disaster for any civilised society, not a sign of variance or advancement. There is also greater evidence language is NOT driven by any principle of evolution as we understand the concept. Rather it is a result of fashion, emphasis, laziness - and simple prevalence. Joseph Goebbels said it best:

"If you repeat a lie often enough, it becomes the truth."

So `wicked` means `extremely good` not through evolution, but through banal osmotic repetition by the stupid. And the absence of desire or ability to use any of the hundreds of other words to better describe the same feeling.

Wicked still means evil.

How does having the same word have two meanings in direct opposition benefit the lexicon?

Terry
December 16th, 2010, 02:30
I grew up in a world were proper english was required..
And today any "english" is accepted..

I now realize how my parents were not impressed in the 60's-70's when I grew up, that many New words or meanings were being used..

Our English is an everchanging language, not set in stone..
Knowing and realizing this, I try to adjust to the times..
And as in the past what was popular to use to describe something today
will change tomorrow..

One of the things today everything is a terrorist, or predator..
This does disturb me..

As I have noticed (we) tend to use words that best cause a sensation
without being honest to the intent or meaning of the word..
as they say, welcome to the New world order..

And all this Political Correctness, is just a way to hide the truth..
What happened to the truth???
when you change a meaning or word to hide the truth, what have you done??
Just to make a Bad thing into a good thing that is terrible to do..

Good is still good, and bad is still bad, No matter what sweet name you now call it..

Okay off my soap box...:a1451:

Hey man, "It is what it is".

Quixoticish
December 16th, 2010, 03:01
Anyone who encourages the censorship of language because they find a word somehow incorrect or irritating is wrong and understands very little about the evolution on language. The definition of what was once "proper" English changes with each generation, anything that resembles a de facto standard only ever exists for a very brief and transient period of time.

On a semi related note I'm very much with Stephen Fry on this:

<object width="640" height="385">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/J7E-aoXLZGY?fs=1&hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></object>

Mickey D
December 16th, 2010, 04:32
A well chosen video Chris.
My pet hate is the incorrect usage of the word "an" by many of our colonial ( US ) chums. Usually in forum postings. The word "an" should only be used before a word starting with a vowel and NOT before a word starting with a consonant. Back to school chaps.
Oh and another phrase. The " learning of lessons" by people who's job it is to ensure the safety of vulnerable children, Social Services mainly. They never seem to have learnt a lesson from the last abused child's death. Why are they still walking free?

Clarke123
December 16th, 2010, 05:45
Whenever my Mum rings up customer services she starts off with "What it is, is."

HighGround22
December 16th, 2010, 06:05
. . . My favorite is "in terms of" just to sound important, in terms of more words in your sentence.

Yeah, in a feeble attempt to indicate "regarding", et cetera.

And here I thought that I was the only one who developed a bad case of the worms, every time I hear that. I generally respond to such "word splatter" in terms of derision.

Whenever my Mum rings up customer services she starts off with "What it is, is . . . ."

Y'hear that more and more frequently, these days. Very clever, normally erudite speakers on TV will blat-out that (and it's verbal bretheren) bit, without batting an eye.

kilo delta
December 16th, 2010, 06:18
Economic downturn

IMF/EU Bailout

and ......

Female Bodybuilder (thanks to Panther)

:d

stiz
December 16th, 2010, 06:32
*stands front and centre and clears his throat*

i'd just like to defend txt speach and say it really does have its uses, treat as just another form of slang. I agree it shouldnt be used in exams, interviews etc but for texting and chat in online games where you have under 10 seconds on average to type a sentance its marvoluse.

*nods head and walks off stage*

:wavey:

James
December 16th, 2010, 06:57
what I can't stand is when people refuse to use an apostrophe whenever it is warranted...saying "your" when it should be "you're", etc. Not a word, just my opinion.:wavey:

brad kaste
December 16th, 2010, 07:38
what I can't stand is when people refuse to use an apostrophe whenever it is warranted...saying "your" when it should be "you're", etc. Not a word, just my opinion.:wavey:
I'm not so sure it's a refusal of using the apostrophe where and when needed,....but a matter of not knowing there is a difference between the contraction of 'you are' vs. the word 'your' pertaining to possession of an object. Same for 'to' and 'too.'

Stratobat
December 16th, 2010, 07:46
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned "Diss" yet.

Regards,
Stratobat

fsafranek
December 16th, 2010, 07:52
I'm not so sure it's a refusal of using the apostrophe where and when needed,....but a matter of not knowing there is a difference between the contraction of 'you are' vs. the word 'your' pertaining to possession of an object. Same for 'to' and 'too.'
And "there" and "their".
:ernae:

Also, it seems to me that when I was growing up I was told not to use the word "the" before the word "both". Now I see it all the time, "The both of them." Was I not listening correctly that day so many years ago?

MickeyD, you are correct about the use of the articles "a" and "an" but it has become common to consider the sound of the word when choosing the article -- not that that makes it right. Whether correct or not, "I will be there in an hour." sounds so much better when spoken than "I will be there in a hour.". (And then you have the rules of punctuation. Should that final period go in front of or behind the quote mark?) :icon_lol:

Bone
December 16th, 2010, 08:09

Regards,
Stratobat

Bingo...and the way the sententence is constructed when using it. "You be diss'n me"... I hate dat.

n4gix
December 16th, 2010, 08:20
On a semi related note I'm very much with Stephen Fry on this:

Oddly enough, I pretty much agree with Stephen Fry's observations. There's a time and place for everything, including critique of another's use -or misuse- of language.

An associate of mine once quipped to me, "I always get worried when you start trotting out extra vocabulary."

I replied, "That's because you're a naturally suspicious and un-trusting soul, without one scintilla of philosophical discernment or sensitivity to guide you through the perceptual and ontological shallows of your day to day existence."

His reply was to signal back using the universal symbol of disrespect... ..|./ :ernae:

My major concern is that it's all too easy to become so used to using "shortcuts" such as emoticons, that it becomes difficult to not use them in an innappropriate context, such as formal or professional correspondence. <G>

Stratobat
December 16th, 2010, 08:38
Hey Bone,

Bingo...and the way the sententence is constructed when using it. "You be diss'n me"... I hate dat.

That is the one word that rubs me up the wrong way.

I replied, "That's because you're a naturally suspicious and un-trusting soul, without one scintilla of philosophical discernment or sensitivity to guide you through the perceptual and ontological shallows of your day to day existence."<g>

Hehehe.

Regards,
Stratobat

</g>

Bjoern
December 16th, 2010, 10:01
I'm more irritated by the grammar and spelling of some native english speakers on the web than by single words.

I wonder what the German and Spanish equivalents to whatever, duude and sweeet are?

Whatever = Egal
Duuuude = Alter
Sweet = [There's about a brazillion out there in german alone]

Whatever

Dammit, that was *my* line! :icon_lol:

Emo. I have no idea what an Emo is...an Emu, yes...but not an Emo. Every picture I see of an Emo guy he looks like he is trying to be a girl or something. Emo girls...well they look like girls with really bad taste in clothing and no sense of style whatsoever. I have a nephew that is Emo...I can't tell you what his brother and cousin call him as it would not be PC and against forum rules....though I agree with them whole heartedly.

My money is on a british slang term for cigarette.

And your lack of tolerance is disappointing.

Bring back SPLENDID. That would be totally wicked and awesome........ooops! lol

What a spiffy idea!

sentance its marvoluse.

That's it, I'm emailing every webbrowser developer out there, to build in an always running spell checker into their product(s)!

G'dammit...

gaucho_59
December 16th, 2010, 10:29
"Pre" in front of words that don't need "pre" in front of them. Like "pre-determine". What is that anyway? Something you do before you determine. But it just means determine, so just say that! My favorite is "in terms of" just to sound important, in terms of more words in your sentence.
Actually.... pre-determine passes muster for "to determine a priori.... i.e.: determine before the fact as opposed to determine... "on the fly" so to speak... (I taught English for quite a few years as well as Effective Military Writing... I am a Viet Nam retired vet... Old but savvy... lol)
What really constitutes redundant English usage as well as a hackneyed expression (cliche') are things like... pre-conditions... (pre-conditions to anything should be just simply conditioning the discourse at hand... Ooops... "just simply" should be just or simply... one or the other I sin myself sometimes ... SO IT PAYS TO EDIT WHAT ONE WRITES... HAHAHA Merry Xmas to all... (here I go again... what the hell is Xmas... we Americans sometimes murder old Willie the Bard's language...)

Mickey D
December 16th, 2010, 10:36
And "there" and "their".
:ernae:

Also, it seems to me that when I was growing up I was told not to use the word "the" before the word "both". Now I see it all the time, "The both of them." Was I not listening correctly that day so many years ago?

MickeyD, you are correct about the use of the articles "a" and "an" but it has become common to consider the sound of the word when choosing the article -- not that that makes it right. Whether correct or not, "I will be there in an hour." sounds so much better when spoken than "I will be there in a hour.". (And then you have the rules of punctuation. Should that final period go in front of or behind the quote mark?) :icon_lol:

Thanks for pointing that out Frank but as the aitch in hour ( please note correct spelling) is silent it starts with a vowel 'sound' and therefore complies with the rule. I think we'll continue this on Skype eh? :icon_lol:

gaucho_59
December 16th, 2010, 10:43
`At this location`

What's the matter with you Yanks? Can't you just say "HERE"?! :ernae:
Tell me about it! I taught Effective Army Writing back in 1984... when the US Army was trying to make sense of Army correspondence... eliminating things like... "all personnel concerned" instead of "if YOU are...or if you need.. etc. and POC (point of contact) instead of "if you have any questions or need further information... CALL ME AT (telephone number)... Examining AR's and other correspondence today... I see the plan failed... people still prefer to sound important rather than being clear and concise... Indeed... AT THIS LOCATION should really be simply HERE.. or THERE...
I used to tell my NCO and Officer students... if people don't comply or call you on the phone to find out what you meant in your correspondence by ... whatever seemed unclear... you have defeated the purpose disseminating information.... I must say... woking with Brits in the MFO in Sinai... I was pleasantly surprised by their "chits".. just a simple handwritten note.. instead of our American ledgers that were verbose, important sounding and only were meant to say things like... "Please render as much help as you can to this soldier on such and such... "

stiz
December 16th, 2010, 10:57
That's it, I'm emailing every webbrowser developer out there, to build in an always running spell checker into their product(s)!
[/QUOTE]

my spellings always been bad, even in programs that have spell checkers :bump:

gaucho_59
December 16th, 2010, 11:07
Thanks for pointing that out Frank but as the aitch in hour ( please note correct spelling) is silent it starts with a vowel 'sound' and therefore complies with the rule. I think we'll continue this on Skype eh? :icon_lol:
The period should be outside the quotes... for it ends the sentence... the last punctuation should be the logical one... As to the use of the indeterminate article... the rule is that A precedes a consonant ... like A MONSTER... or a vowel with a consonant sound like A UNIFORM (here U has the sound of Y...which is a consonant)... and coversely, AN precedes a vowel or a silent consonant... like H in AN HOUR ... Basically.... the reason is that things like A APPLE or AN UNIFORM forces a glottal stop or hiatus that, in the long run, would give you a sore throat... besides not sounding right... and, furthermore, folks like some rural or black Americans who routinely use it.. end up making a glottal liaison that mispronunces the following word... like AN-ISTERICAL... which should BE sounded A with a following aspirated H... A HYSTERICAL...ETC... With things like I ATE-A APPLE... the human throat instinctively tries to make speech flow... otherwise one stutters... lol what really erks me is those folks who say AN HISTORICAL MOMENT... this H is not silent... therefore AN HISTORICAL MOMENT is just plain wrong... and yet the folks who use this are often important people... like news broadcasters....who should know better...
English is a really easy language to pick up... very simple grammar... but its USAGE is really what takes the cake... Most foreign born speakers find the grammar and spelling easy but really have trouble with correct usage and pronunciation (I should know... I am a naturalized American)... Coversely, native speakers have trouble with spelling... Americans especially... because English is not phonetic at all... just the old I befor E except after... hahahaha

gaucho_59
December 16th, 2010, 11:21

These wonderful and diverse nuances as you put it...really corrupt the language... however colorful they might sound... one must remember that the purpose of language is COMMUNICATION and making folks follow a logical pattern of thought... things like "Sorry...MY BAD" invite only one thought in a person who speaks English well... (MY BAD WHAT?)... speaking in fragments seems to unite those who use them and exclude those old farts (like me) who don't... Obviously, I am being pleonastic... for after one hears them in context one quickly becomes HIP... but really... why should we evolve a language that changes every ten years... like "chilling" superseding "cooling"... etc. I think one should use English properly if we are to know what our fellows are thinking and trying to convey to us... and vice-versa Most younger folk nowadays cannot put a straight forward sentence together... their speech and writing are sometimes so confusing and confused...

keatles
December 16th, 2010, 11:31
How about "...the people on the ground..." (where are all the others?);
"...at this point in time..." (what is wrong with 'now'?)
and perhaps the most ubiquitous of all, "...with regards to..." - the word 'regard' may be replaced by the word 'respect', and we do not say "...with respects to..."

But then, I'm just a grumpy old man. :(

wiltzei
December 16th, 2010, 12:28
Golly, this is a great thread.

Terrorism. I hate how everything that is not PC is quickly becoming "terrorism"...

Perhaps people are kept in constant fear of real terrorism from government level downwards? A scaring nation is an obeyant one, according to some theorists. People tend to make moles out of molehills.

Regarding the cops & robbers example of yours, I reckon itīs a symptom of a larger phenomenon, demasculinition of manhood, which some people call "equality of sexes".

Bring back the Jive ;)

And easily understable warnings. http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshots/images/573_laugh.gif (http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshots/view-573_laugh.gif) http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshots/images/792a_little_hot.jpg

Economic downturn
IMF/EU Bailout

+ Given the state of economy...

I wouldnīt like to generalize, or downtone issues with true importance, but sometimes it feels like people area beaten into submission in the same manner as helicopters beat air.

On an unrelated note involving several marketing studies, a human being is very likely to buy a certain product after the advertisements have been seen about eight times.

Speakers of my native language seem to adapt simple words like straight out from the English language and from nearby nationīs native languages. I donīt know why, but perhaps hosts of popular tv/radio shows start using them, and somehow they become popular.

Duuuude = Alter

That reminds me of the show Der Alte. As a kid, I often wondered, why a German detective is called "The Old One". http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshots/images/735doh.gif

perhaps the most ubiquitous of all, "...with regards to..." - the word 'regard' may be replaced by the word 'respect', and we do not say "...with respects to..."

Doesnīt sending regards mean more of saying "hello" than paying honest respect in English language? It isnīt my first language, so correct me, if Iīm utterly wrong. Great first post, welcome to forums.

---

Enough of quoting.

Why do people buy stuff assuming themselves that "it is in fashion"? Who does determine whatīs fashionable or not? I wonder if it could be the various kinds of industries, who just try to sell people goods in order to artificially patch their self-esteems?

Eoraptor1
December 16th, 2010, 14:21
I'm personally guilty of abusing the word "actually". I've gotten on my own nerves with it now. I'm counting on my SOH friends to help me break the actually habit.

JAMES

brad kaste
December 16th, 2010, 15:33
I'm always amused when someone says to me,..."to tell you the truth".......does that mean this person(or even an old time friend) has been lying to me when he or she hasn't prefaced the statement with "to tell you the truth" previously?

Cloud9Gal
December 16th, 2010, 16:07
Irritating words for me: Someone that continuously uses the words: "You know". It's usually done when filling dead air in a conversation, you know...so, whenever people do that , you know, it really gets on my nerves, you know...

Naismith
December 16th, 2010, 16:26
1. You know, (in the middle of every damned sentence)
2. You know what I mean, (at the end of every sentence)
3. At the end of the day.
4. Errrr errr ummm errr (a sign of engage brain before speaking)
5. Aks instead of Ask.
6. Illiterate sports personalities being interviewed. As if they may grace us with some great insight.

brad kaste
December 16th, 2010, 17:06
Irritating words for me: Someone that continuously uses the words: "You know". It's usually done when filling dead air in a conversation, you know...so, whenever people do that , you know, it really gets on my nerves, you know...

Ya' know,....that's really awesome to know.....

demorier
December 16th, 2010, 23:52
"Totally..."
"24/7"....I think that one is on the way out , I hope so.

stewpot
December 17th, 2010, 00:53
Using the words 'should/would of' instead of 'should/would have' is everywhere in the UK nowadays.

Snuffy
December 17th, 2010, 03:54
Actually, you know, Ummm, ahhh, I ... you know ... er ... find ... ummm ... this whole ... you know ... thread ... er .... irritating.

:wavey: :wiggle:

Mickey D
December 17th, 2010, 06:09
Basically.... the reason is that things like A APPLE or AN UNIFORM forces a glottal stop or hiatus that, in the long run, would give you a sore throat... besides not sounding right...

Well Ah'll go ter t'foit of our stairs. Ah've alas wondered why t'Yorkshire fowk 'ave sore throits. It's cos t'glottal stop is part o' t'way we speak. Tha loins summat new ivery day. :icon_lol:

Clarke123
December 17th, 2010, 06:36
Well Ah'll go ter t'foit of our stairs. Ah've alas wondered why t'Yorkshire fowk 'ave sore throits. It's cos t'glottal stop is part o' t'way we speak. Tha loins summat new ivery day. :icon_lol:
Sore throat? You sownd like a nancy sufener. Get sum gravy down yeh, yull be reet.

Bjoern
December 17th, 2010, 07:19

m(

^
|

Facepalm smiley.

That reminds me of the show Der Alte. As a kid, I often wondered, why a German detective is called "The Old One". http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshots/images/735doh.gif

Alter Verwalter...:icon_lol:

I'm counting on my SOH friends to help me break the actually habit.

Actually, I wont but maybe...

...C9G could actually help you out, Eoraptor, you know... :icon_lol:

n4gix
December 17th, 2010, 08:23
Subject: "Emo"

My money is on a british slang term for cigarette.

And your lack of tolerance is disappointing.

"Emo" is an au courant term for "emotional," but it's actual origins began in the 1980's:

Emo emerged from the hardcore punk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardcore_punk) scene of early-1980s Washington, D.C. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington,_D.C.), both as a reaction to the increased violence within the scene and as an extension of the personal politics espoused by Ian MacKaye (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_MacKaye) of Minor Threat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minor_Threat), who had turned the focus of the music from the community back towards the individual.

Fast forwarding past a lot of history, today the term is most often associated with a fashion and stereotype:

Today emo is commonly tied to both music and fashion as well as the emo subculture.<SUP id=cite_ref-3news_98-0 class=reference>[99] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emo_(music)#cite_note-3news-98)</SUP> Usually among teens, the term "emo" is stereotyped with wearing slim-fit jeans (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slim-fit_pants), sometimes in bright colors, and tight t-shirts (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-shirt) (usually short-sleeved) which often bear the names of emo bands. Studded belts (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belt_(clothing)) and black wristbands are common accessories in emo fashion. Some males also wear thick, black horn-rimmed glasses (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horn-rimmed_glasses)

What is important though, is that there is no history of usage that has ever been indicative of sexual orientation. In fact, the stereotype is deliberately androcentric.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emo_(music)

HighGround22
December 17th, 2010, 08:30
I think I'm among the majority here -- contrary to some assertions in this thread -- with my great reluctance to be openly critical of others on their misuse of language, punctuation, or pronunciation. Rather, I tend to just mentally flag the solecism, possibly keeping it in mind as an indicator of that person's capacity for attention to detail. Or maybe not.

Hence, I take this thread as being merely a means for us to semi-anonymously vent our accumulated language frustrations and seek some small comfort in knowing we're not alone (certainly not, judging by the thread length).

But while we're delving into obscurity here, p'raps I can trot-out one of my little pet peeves: the inability to distinguish between "if" and "whether". A small example:

"Ask him if he's going to the store.", versus "Ask him whether he's going to the store."

By using "if", an ambiguity is inserted. Maybe you meant "IF he's going to the store, then ask him. But otherwise, don't bother." "Ask him if (but if not, then don't) he's going . . . ."

So do you want me to ask him only under the condition that you described, or should I just go ahead and ask him anyway? Clarify, please.

Whereas it all becomes perfectly clear when it's stated as "Ask him whether he's going to the store." No ambiguity; clarity reigns.

A seemingly little thing, but in my dotage, I have time on my hands which I spend maundering (I.E., silently) nit-picking such less-than-catastrophic rustications as the above. Sigh! :sleep:

gaucho_59
December 17th, 2010, 08:35

my spellings always been bad, even in programs that have spell checkers :bump:[/QUOTE]
While teaching Effective Army writing to a group of NCOs and covering the importance of correct spelling... one of my students said: "I don't have to worry about that... I got Spellcheck...in my computer"... (it was in the early days of Word for Windows)... I retorted..."the problem with Spellchecker is that it will accept any word that is the correct spelling for a word in the language being used (English or whicheverany other ) but one that does not follow the context... like using YOUR for YOU'RE... so really, it is of no help at all if one is not aware the usage is wrong...." In other words, it is of no help to those of us who cannot spell.... Even the dictionary is no help to find meanings if one cannot spell the word in question correctly... hahaha ... If one wishes to avoid mispellings... one has to go back to the drawing board and revisit grammar school... mmm quite a quandary, eh? If you use SHIP when it should be SHEEP... the spellchecker will pass you on it... **** insted of SHEET... (to one's later embarrassment) You get my drift?

Kiwikat
December 17th, 2010, 08:47
Same for 'to' and 'too.'

... and 'two' as of late. People can't even get the usage of a number correct!

In the Gran Turismo forums everyone's been spelling 'Camaro' C-a-m-e-r-o. It irritates me every time I read it. It is one of the most well known cars on Earth, yet people can't spell it?

Lens spelled as lense is also annoying... (for those photographers out there)

wiltzei
December 17th, 2010, 09:36
Lens spelled as lense is also annoying... (for those photographers out there)
Teh mispelling of words in becomming a real nuisance.

n4gix
December 17th, 2010, 10:23

While teaching Effective Army writing to a group of NCOs and covering the importance of correct spelling... one of my students said: "I don't have to worry about that... I got Spellcheck...in my computer"...

Too bad you didn't have this for the dunder-head to peruse... :ernae:

<CENTER>Ode to a Spell Checker

I have a spelling checker
I disk covered four my PC.
It plane lee marks four my revue
Miss steaks aye can knot see.

Eye ran this poem threw it.
Your sure real glad two no.
Its very polished in its weigh,
My checker tolled me sew.

A checker is a blessing.
It freeze yew lodes of thyme.
It helps me right awl stiles two reed,
And aides me when aye rime.

Each frays comes posed up on my screen
Eye trussed too bee a joule.
The checker pours o'er every word
To cheque sum spelling rule.

Bee fore wee rote with checkers
Hour spelling was inn deck line,
Butt now when wee dew have a laps,
Wee are not maid too wine.

And now bee cause my spelling
Is checked with such grate flare,
There are know faults in awl this peace,
Of nun eye am a wear.

To rite with care is quite a feet
Of witch won should be proud,
And wee mussed dew the best wee can,
Sew flaws are knot aloud.

That's why eye brake in two averse
Caws Eye dew want too please.
Sow glad eye yam that aye did bye
This soft wear four pea seas.
--Author Unknown </CENTER>

JayKae
December 17th, 2010, 11:34
Instead of 2010 (two thousand ten) people saying 'Twenty Ten' .. almost as annoying when it was the year 2000 when people were saying 'Y2K'

Also the blantant wrongful usage of the words;

They're
Their
There

really grinds on me when I see it on fora or facebook or even in SMS.

Wing_Z
December 17th, 2010, 11:47
Instead of 2010 (two thousand ten) people saying 'Twenty Ten'
Ah, that would be: Two Thousand and Ten... :)
Get used to it...2000-2009 are "The Naughties", and the mass media have decided the rest of the century will be "Twenty xx"

EasyEd
December 17th, 2010, 11:51
Hey All,

I see it this way... Not meaning to be snarky or anything...

Don't you remember
The fizz in a pepper
Peanuts in a bottle
At ten, two and four
A fried bologna sandwich
With mayo and tomato
Sittin' round the table
Don't happen much anymore

We got too complicated
It's all way over-rated
I like the old and out-dated
Way of life

Back when a hoe was a hoe
Coke was a coke
And crack's what you were doing
When you were cracking jokes
Back when a screw was a screw
The wind was all that blew
And when you said I'm down with that
Well it meant you had the flu
I miss back when
I miss back when
I miss back whenThe Song

wkNMnfbMMpQ&feature=related

-Ed-

johnh_049
December 17th, 2010, 12:06
Ah, that would be: Two Thousand and Ten... :)
Get used to it...2000-2009 are "The Naughties", and the mass media have decided the rest of the century will be "Twenty xx"

actually, the whole last century was like that.
no one ever said "one thousand nine hundred sixty"
it was always "nineteen sixty"

wombat666
December 17th, 2010, 12:15
How can one have a 'favourite' irritating word if the word is 'irritating'????
Fail.
:173go1::173go1::173go1:

andersel
December 17th, 2010, 16:19

That comment was AWESOME! Oh, I'm sorry. I meant RAD!

b52bob
December 17th, 2010, 16:23
Lawyers

JayKae
December 17th, 2010, 19:41
Yes, I realised but it was too late to edit ;) Now as far as the mass media goes, they can decide all they want, I shall not be using it, ever.