PDA

View Full Version : Three from Me

EasyEd
December 12th, 2010, 18:27
Hey All,

I've been noticing I rarely post images. In fact I've had a Flickr account for 15 months and haven't uploaded to it yet. Why? Probably because I'm trying to be really picky about what I upload. I think these 3 plus some others will make it.

All with the Panny G1.

The first is from a recent snow we had here on Vancouver Island - just some curves adjustment. The second is from this past summer as we passed through Yellowstone National Park. Yes I did do a bit of HDR to it. The third I took today - an oak I been waiting for the "right" circumstances to photograph. I think the fog works and I've some other ideas for this tree.

Comments - positive and negative - welcome.

-Ed-

AussieMan
December 12th, 2010, 21:28
#3 really catches my eye. Very moody and could be anywhere in the world during Winter.

#1 Not too bad either.

Cheers
Pat

Cazzie
December 13th, 2010, 03:01
Well, I like the first a lot Ed, nice natural contrasting color in a gray world.

The second is a great composition source, but you forgot the rule of thirds, your horizon is split in the middle. The problem many people run into doing scenes like this is that they think you should capture the tree tops and that is simply not necessary and many times ruins a photo.

The last is a great shot too, like Aussieman said, it's a mood photo, as most fog photos are. A bit stark for me, I prefer having at least one object in the foreground sharp in fog shots with others slowly fading in the mist.

Caz

jmig
December 13th, 2010, 04:16
Ed - I like the first shot in the same way Caz does. The contrast is excellent. I think that if the tree had been shifted just a little to the right, it would look even better. Nothing wrong. We are just talking about a minor detail and perception.

I would have never know the second picture was HDR without you telling me. I don't see a problem with the horizon because the main focus, the mud flat is well below the middle of the picture. In this case it looks fine.

I am with everyone else with the tree in the fog. I agree with Caz that if you had a foreground object to draw the eye into the picture it might be better. But, sometimes you get what you get. I have seen many an excellent picture with a single object.