PDA

View Full Version : XP problem need help

Buddha13
November 27th, 2008, 00:40
Hi all,
A friend of mine has just had a problem with XP service packs 2 and 3.He cannot get them to install after doing a repair install.The reason for this was that he had lost the use of his optical drives due to Securom when he uninstalled Call of Duty.That is now sorted but he needs to reinstall SP2 and 3.It downloads the updates and installs to 90% then kicks him out.He does not have a full XP disc just the reinstall disc that came with the machine.Any suggestions would be gratefully recieved.
I have told him to get an external HD and copy across the files he wants to keep and set the machine back to factory standard.But he is a bit reluctant to do this staright away and would like to try some thing else.The version of the disc is XP Home with SP1.

Thanks,

Buddha13

GT182
November 27th, 2008, 04:13
Buddha, I've never had a problem with any of the COD versions. If he has Silent Hunter III that could be a problem.... it has StarForce in it. Which is not a good thing at all.

See if a Registry Repair program might help. I use ErrorKiller, but that is payware. It is the best I've ever used to correct registry errors.

Buddha13
November 27th, 2008, 11:30
Hi all,
He has tried registry repairs with no luck I think that it is left overs from either of the service packs that is causing the problem.
I personally use Registry Mechanic.But that is payware as well.
He has not got a lot of money to spare so the payware ones are out.

Buddha13