PDA

View Full Version : Old Battle of the Bismarck Sea

Talon
December 12th, 2010, 17:59
I remember when this first came out many years ago. At the time there wasn't much of a choice of planes for it. They use the Alpha A-20,stock B-25 which was modified and the stock Kagero. I don't remember which B-17 was used,P-40 or B-24. The VN Japanese transports were pushed out for it also. It was also one of the first times the Volcano effect was used to simulate burning ships.

At the time it set some new standards in mission building by a talented team headed by Jag I believe.

Well as time went on and new planes and ships came out I've been updating it and adding missions to it.I now use the TR A-20's which I made into a skipbomber,TR Boston which was used to Attack Lae,TR B-25's ( Chatterbox.Dirty Dora and Hellsfire ) as skipbombers, FDG B-17e which I made into a skipbomber ( not easy to skipbomb with ),the new Beaufighters and the Beaufort. I changed the Japanese ships to all Usio ships and still get great FPS.

Very nice to watch as the Beaufighter attack the Destroyers with guns and see them burn and 1 even is sunk,attack with the B-25 and watch as others attack and also defend the bombers with P-38's and P-40's.

It was always one of my favs along with Defense of Australia and Pen32Win's Midway missions,I just enhanced it a little bit. I'm sure some other members do the same thing with older missions and campaigns. It's fun to do.

Talon

Seagull V
December 13th, 2010, 01:26
Suppose we could get all the campaigns updated so that there was a Mega-Campaign running from the Flying Tigers to Hiroshima/Nagasaki with an optional ending where conventional forces invaded Japan with US/Britain & Commonwealth from the South, Russians from the North ?

Then follow that up with a Korean War campaign.

Also add Europe/Africa/Ost Front to the mix, plus many of the "What If" scenarios.

Given that a lot of work has already been done by some of the wonderful crew that use CFS2, that is something that could be done.

Many thanks to all of those who have done the original missions/campaigns and updated them !!!!!!

Back to the paint shed for me for the time being. Have some interesting books that would make great campaigns, just need the time.

CrisGer
December 15th, 2010, 11:19
This sounds great hope to see it when you are done.:salute:

Talon
December 15th, 2010, 15:43
This sounds great hope to see it when you are done.:salute:

Well Cris most people don't have the planes I'm using because I fixed them up for what I want them to do.

Examples- FDG donationware B-17E I made into a skip bomber
TR A-20 I made into a skip bomber

I did a thread on how to do it but I don't know how many people tried it. Alot of my planes are tweaked so they work the way I want them to and I posted how I tweaked them. Not many people have said they tried it or if it works for them.

Talon

CrisGer
December 15th, 2010, 16:55
Can you share those threads? I am indeed interested in trying the tweaking :):salute: Much appreciate your efforts.

Talon
December 15th, 2010, 18:37
Can you share those threads? I am indeed interested in trying the tweaking :):salute: Much appreciate your efforts.

Try this link.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=31662

Talon

Jagdflieger
December 15th, 2010, 21:50
It's amazing how far we've come with airplanes, ships and airfields in CFS 2. We even have a Beaufort now for the torpedo attacks by the RAAF thanks to Thicko. Who would of thought things would advance so far when we made and released that campaign.

Talon
December 17th, 2010, 12:30
I was using the TR-A20G in my missions but whenever I came back to base to land I'd CTD. I've now made the FDG A-20G into a SkipBomber to replace it and have had no problems since. This is the first time any of TR's planes have done this in any of my missions.

Talon

Talon
December 18th, 2010, 15:55
Here's some pics of some of the changes I've done.

1 pic is of a P-38 protecting B-17's and the others are Beauforts and the weather they flew through.

Talon

Talon
December 18th, 2010, 15:59
Here's some pics of Beaufighters and B-25's getting ready to attack and Beaufighters attacking Tokitsukaze.

Talon

Talon
December 18th, 2010, 16:00
B-25's attacking.

Talon
December 18th, 2010, 16:04
A-20's attacking.

Of course the A-20's have to be setup to attack with skipbombs so it works right as do the B-17's I use. There is a link on how to do this in one of my post in this thread. I don't know if anyone has tried it or not.

Talon

Talon
December 29th, 2010, 16:46
I finished the work I was doing on this campaign,it's 11 missions and some are new and some are the old ones updated. I did some missions two or three times from different perspectives. One mission you will be flying a Beaufighter to attack the destroyers,next a B-25 attacking the transports and one flying a fighter to protect them. All have differnet goals.

I've been senting them out to some members to try.

Talon

mariereid
December 30th, 2010, 04:10
I'm still a little dizzy from reading how you did this! I guess a fella has to know a lot more than how to use the mission builder to make great missions. :salute::salute::salute:

I am working on a mission now that I have changed over 200 times and it's still not "perfect". I guess I have to learn a lot more about the ship files. At least seeing what great mission builders can do, should give us "young" fellas hope! Thanks, for that.:ernae:

Talon
January 2nd, 2011, 16:50
I'm still a little dizzy from reading how you did this! I guess a fella has to know a lot more than how to use the mission builder to make great missions. :salute::salute::salute:

I am working on a mission now that I have changed over 200 times and it's still not "perfect". I guess I have to learn a lot more about the ship files. At least seeing what great mission builders can do, should give us "young" fellas hope! Thanks, for that.:ernae:

Well mariereid all the information to make the planes skipbomb and glidebomb has been posted and it has nothing to do with ship DP's. I even made a thread a few years ago how to get AI planes to torpedo infrastructure ships form the side instead of front or rear a few years ago. It also explains how to set them up so they don't crash into mountains that surround a Harbor. Even using glidebombing ( Avengers,Devastators.B-25s ) in a harbor has to be set up the right way. I've explained how to do it over the years but not many people pay attention only a few dedicated CFS2 gamers.

Talon

mariereid
January 3rd, 2011, 09:41
I am going to start keeping valuable info in folders. It's tough to figure out how do to much of this, and seeing how the pros make things tick is a good way to learn.

I was talking about the ships dps in my little mission. I got a convoy of 11 ships, 2 of them, a tanker and a victory ship are shooting down about 20 of 28 planes. I finally replaced them. I got tired of going to the rescue only to find those 2 ships had pretty well taken care of business! :ernae::salute:

Jagdflieger
January 3rd, 2011, 18:21
Usio's ships are notoriasly effective in the AA role. In real life, Japanese AA fire was not nearly as effective as Allied AA fire. Allied predictors and cannon (5" X 38, 40mm and 20mm from mid to late war) were superior to the Imperial weapons (5" X 40 and the 25mm in single, double and tripple mounts).

You can reduce the effectiveness of the AAA by modifying the DP file a bit. The AF crew has a DP update for 150 some ships in the archive for many of Usio's ships as well as the AF Midway and the stock MS ships.

Search for: afshipdp0307.zip

You can also reduce the rate of fire, range, throw weight and angle to your satisfaction by editing the DP file. Follow Pen32's tips in the above download.

mariereid
January 4th, 2011, 04:45
Sorry, Talon, for going off the topic. Just trying to figure out how to do some of this "magic":salute:

Thanks, Jadg; I had a look at the AFshipdp read me, again. I have used the dps provided, but never tried it on other ships. I am going to mess about with a ship today and see how it goes.:ernae:

Back to the Bismark Sea.

Talon
January 8th, 2011, 21:12
Well I've decided to shelf this project.I've sent the missions to several people to try and haven't heard anything from them.

As for the B-17 and A-20 skipbombers,which has been posted twice,there was no feedback on that either. I know many things to make planes do certain things to make CFS2 better but nobody gives feedback so I guess nobody cares about them. I will just move on.

Talon