PDA

View Full Version : Plan-G Connection Problems

falcon409
December 12th, 2010, 07:34
I posted this over on the TA_Plan-G website, but Tim was sort of at a loss as to why I'm having this problem. I am getting an error message before the program even opens saying that it cannot connect to the server. Tim says the only fail would be if it couldn't connect to "maps.google.com".

I tried that outside the program and connected just fine. As I mentioned on Tim's Forum, I don't utilize any exotic software connections or programs, I am obviously connected to the internet, Multiplayer functions just fine, so why is Plan-G unable to find the connection?

Also, I only have the default Windows firewall running, I added Plan-G as an allowable program (for what that's worth). The antivirus program is McAfee which was installed on the new system I just bought.

Anyone have any ideas or solutions to this?

falcon409
December 12th, 2010, 10:01
I also have a similar problem with Internet Explorer. I use Firefox, but if I load IE, it tells me basically the same thing, that it can't find the server. I had this problem with IE a few years ago and if I remember right, there was a simple fix for it, like some box not checked or a box that was checked that shouldn't have been? Ring any bells with anyone?

falcon409
December 12th, 2010, 10:32
Fixed. . .no more help is needed, lol.:salute:

olderndirt
December 12th, 2010, 10:48
I also have a similar problem with Internet Explorer. I use Firefox, but if I load IE, it tells me basically the same thing, that it can't find the server. I had this problem with IE a few years ago and if I remember right, there was a simple fix for it, like some box not checked or a box that was checked that shouldn't have been? Ring any bells with anyone?IE is a thorn in my side, so what did you do? :jump:

olderndirt
December 12th, 2010, 10:49
Fixed. . .no more help is needed, lol.:salute:IE is a thorn in my side, so what did you do? :jump:

falcon409
December 12th, 2010, 11:58
IE was not set up to detect an internet connection. . . .even though every other friggin' program was able to connect, lol. That is just ridiculous. I mean Firefox connects fine, I can do anything online I want to, but IE still influences whether or not some programs actually see that connection. Dumb, dumb, dumb.:banghead:

SkippyBing
December 12th, 2010, 12:32
I had a similar problem when I had to use a proxy connection at the start of the year. Despite not having used IE, err ever, I still had to change its proxy settings for iTunes to connect to the internet. Although to be honest I blamed that on iTunes being a virus with mouse support at the time...

TimA
December 12th, 2010, 13:22
Problem is, all the Microsoft libraries for accessing data across the Internet go through IE. And Firefox, Opera, Chrome et al don't provide libraries for developers to embed their browsers into their apps. So you either have to write your own from scratch (no thanks - life's too short to reinvent the wheel, absent a massive development budget!), or go with what's available.

JoeW
December 12th, 2010, 17:26
I have a connection problem with Flight 1 Where and what is this switch? Maybe this is my Flight 1 problem.
Thanks

falcon409
December 12th, 2010, 17:53
I have a connection problem with Flight 1 Where and what is this switch? Maybe this is my Flight 1 problem.
Thanks
This is IE-8 Joe.
Top of the page, find "Tools"
Then "Internet Options"
Then "Connections"
Then "LAN settings"
Make sure the top box "Automatically detect settings" is checked (mine wasn't).

That's it.:salute: