PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have the Area 51 U-2S?

ColoKent
December 11th, 2010, 20:57
If so, how do you like it? It looks absolutely AWESOME to me. I have only two beefs with what I have found out so far about it:

1. The release lacks several key variants well-known to any U-2 nut:
- They don't include a non-SENIOR SPAN USAF U-2S version (not hard to include, simply give us a U-2S .mdl without the radome on top)
- They don't include a SENIOR-SPAN equipped NASA ER-2 version (and yes, the NASA birds have used them--again, not hard to include, simply give us an ER-2 .mdl WITH the radome on top)

2. There appears to be no paint kit available for any of the existing variants (and I don't want to be limited markings-wise to what the Area 51 painters thought was cool). I find it unbelievable that no paint kit has been released for this baby. I'm hoping I just missed it...I can't imagine what the perceived advantage is of not having a paint kit...

The detail in the screenshots look incredible--however...a key question is, how does it fly?

Not planning on buying it instantly, but I'd snap it up if I find item #2 above to be either untrue, or being remedied, and if I hear the flight model is reasonably accurate.

Anyone have an opinion?

Thanks,

Kent

Bone
December 12th, 2010, 01:35
...also, when you look out the windows, can you see the exterior of the plane that would normally be seen from inside the real one? Anyone, anyone...Buuuehler?

wilycoyote4
December 12th, 2010, 12:37
In an effort to help, a search of the SOH Forum shows threads of which 2 are noted here.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=42334&highlight=Area51+U-2S
There are two Area51 releases, the 1st and an update. I have both. I had trouble getting above 65,000 feet with the update. I took the 1st air file and put it in the update. I was back to 80,000 feet.
It would seem Area51 needs to improve the airfile. I expect this will happen.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=41068&highlight=Area51+U-2S

As far as I know, and I could be wrong, the manual mentioned has not been released nor a new aircraft cfg or air file. An email to Area 51 may help.

The VC isn't a bubble cockpit. To see the wings you must "move" your head to the edge of the VC or on the ground open the canopy and "lean" out. But the tail is not part of the total VC structure, wings and intakes are.

Correct me if wrong.

djscoo
December 12th, 2010, 12:50
I just looked at it...

The VC model includes the nose and full wings, as Wiley said, the tail isn't there.

@Colokent

I'm not sure I am up to date on the patches, but right now I have 4 models:
NASA trainer, NASA single seater, U2 w/Senior Span, and U2 trainer.

captdoug
December 12th, 2010, 21:13
Have the Dragon Lady and am very pleased with the product.

Well worth the investment for a signifigantly different flight experience. My only issue at the moment is I can't acheive over 60 thousand feet altitude as I have the version 2 or updated version as described in the other comments here.

However you should still enjoy the plane in your inventory. Yes it is too bad that the variations are limited but it still looks great.

If anybody has the original version 1 air file and it is legal to share it with a legitamate owner would you please let me know I'll provide my email to send it too. It is frustrating not being able to reach the 80 K flight level.

regards,

Captdoug , Florida USA

ColoKent
December 12th, 2010, 21:29
....I most likely will get it.

Just hope I can get the modified airfile too!

Kent

wilycoyote4
December 12th, 2010, 22:40
captdoug----sent you pm

send me a pm if my suggestions are confusing or you are new to such changes

without a manual the autopilot can be figured out, perhaps that matter will be discussed next.

I can reach 81,000 feet but usually go lower. Anyway, it seems few flight simmers in FSX go above 45,000 feet and know little if anything about the view from the office even at 60,000 feet.

If you have max gross weight you may prefer to takeoff at a lower weight for "shorter distance" as the U-2S can cruise for 12 hours routinely in real time. At proper landing weight the dragon Lady is gentle and smooth but watch out for gusty crosswinds.

Quixoticish
December 13th, 2010, 01:33
Is there any way I could be sent the original airfile as well? I picked up this recently and apparently only have the later version of the aircraft.