PDA

View Full Version : How much/what kind of testing for computer build ?

Curtis P40
December 10th, 2010, 09:59
I'm in the process of having an estimate for a new computer to run FSX. What is a reasonable amount of time/kind of testing that I should consider from the builder? Thanks

Curt

txnetcop
December 11th, 2010, 14:59
If you are going to have one custom built insist on seeing their benchmark log reports and make sure you get all the boxes and manuals that the component parts came in. If they are reputable they will test with Prime95 and OCCT if they overclock.
Ted

Stratobat
December 11th, 2010, 17:11
Hey Curtis,

If you are going to have one custom built insist on seeing their benchmark log reports and make sure you get all the boxes and manuals that the component parts came in.

Just to add on to what Ted has said here, also get them to start up the computer for you and confirm that all the hardware is playing nicely from within Windows.

Once you are happy there, get them to power down the computer and open the chassis. If the cables look like they could have been laid by a giant spider, get them to pull everything out and start from scratch.

One of the basic and most fundamental things you are taught as a technician is how to properly run cables. Don't accept shoddy workmanship.

Regards,
Stratobat

Curtis P40
December 11th, 2010, 17:42
Yep, custom built. Trying to do my part to keep the local economy going:)
Ted...Thanks for info on what to look for.
Stratobat...agree with you on that. Nice and tiddy cables is a good clue as to how the rest was put together.
Curt

txnetcop
December 12th, 2010, 07:44
One more important item Curt pick a case that is "cable hide" friendly as not all cases allow you to hide cables.
Ted

Curtis P40
December 12th, 2010, 12:41
It's a Cooler Master HAF

David_L6
December 13th, 2010, 02:44
It's a Cooler Master HAF

That should be a good one. I like Cooler Master cases. My favorite is the CM Stacker 810 but I think they have been discontinued. http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=13

Stratobat
December 14th, 2010, 07:44
I like Cooler Master cases.

Why?

Regards,
Stratobat

txnetcop
December 14th, 2010, 17:15
Why?

Regards,
Stratobat

Why not they are one of the best selling cases out on the market. Our test facility at TechCorp backs their quality price/performance tests.
Ted

Stratobat
December 14th, 2010, 18:07
Hey Ted,

Why not they are one of the best selling cases out on the market.

I think a lot of it boils down to one's preferences but I like Antec.

Their Performance One and Dark Fleet chassis' are very nice.

Regards,
Stratobat