PDA

View Full Version : I got tired of formating

hey_moe
December 9th, 2010, 11:48
I brought three of those WD 300 gig Raptors over at Newegg. I want to set one up just for FSX only cus I am tired for formating and spending two days reinstalling all them flight add-ons...lol. Now I have a main HD that I use for banking and surfing ( W7/64 ). The other HD's either have Vista,XP,Apple OS on them. I been wanting to add a sixth HD and have it dedicated to just FSX. I can format and install the rest of the other drives in a couple of hours but the flight one takes a good while...Mike

Roadburner440
December 9th, 2010, 11:51
Yeah it certaintly makes things a lot easier Mike. I have been using an older 150GB Raptor drive for some years now for this purpose. All that is on there is FSX and the SDK itself.. I am debating whether or not to make the leap to Prepar3d, but I would put that on it's own drive alone.. I missed out on getting the 300GB Raptors for $99. I checked Newegg the other day and they are back up to $200 now. Ah well. You win some you lose some. Definately is smart putting FSX on its own drive though, and be sure you back it up!

Dangerousdave26
December 9th, 2010, 11:57
Mike you are using the wrong tools to do your formatting.

Down load parted magic from http://partedmagic.com/

Burn it to a disk

Boot to that disc. It will run a Linux distro in system memory. Use its Partition manager to create partitions and format them. It will format drives NTFS at the snap of your fingers and I mean that literally.

Try it out some time.

hey_moe
December 9th, 2010, 15:12
I us Wipe Disk cus it writes zero's to all sectors and does a good job of cleaning everhting off the hard drive. The formating and reinstalling is really no biggie to me. It's when I format and install FSX and all the add on's...that takes me a while
Mike you are using the wrong tools to do your formatting.

Down load parted magic from http://partedmagic.com/

Burn it to a disk

Boot to that disc. It will run a Linux distro in system memory. Use its Partition manager to create partitions and format them. It will format drives NTFS at the snap of your fingers and I mean that literally.

Try it out some time.