PDA

View Full Version : RE: Can't get the new Atlas O gauge 0-6-0 to run/operate

brad kaste
December 9th, 2010, 09:18
Hi All,
Usually I post at the Newshawks but I need some help on this model train I purchased recently. It concerns this Atlas O gauge 0-6-0 switcher I bought new,...along with Atlas track that makes a simple 36" diameter circle. Located on the living room table.
I'm using a Lionel BW (80watts) to power it.
To make a long story short,...it's been a 'no go' since I tried to first run it a few days ago. The train will give off a chuffing sound, bell and whistle. But that's it. The train refuses to go around the small circle of track. Every once in awhile it'll go around for a lap and then stop. That's if I gently push it. Otherwise,..it just sits there.
Talking to an Atlas rep,...he thought it might be a issue between the Lionel transformer and the Atlas loco. Even though it has Lionel electronics inside. Or,...as he said,...I might need an 'interrupter' installed to the track...or install another set of wires from the transformer to the other side of the track. (Even though the circle has a 3 foot diameter). A 9 volt battery came with the loco,...but hasn't been installed. I lifted up the coal tender area from the tender itself only to look at a mini-circuit board. I didn't want to mess with that.
So I'm at a total loss. I don't know if I need another type of transformer or what. Doesn't seem to make sense right now.
Also-there's no light illuminating from the loco's head light or tender light. Sometimes when I push the 'bell' button I get the sound of the whistle,...and visa-versa. I did manually push around a three rail caboose with full power on and it lite up and smoked perfectly. The three rail track is super clean.
Anyway,...and thoughts or ideas what I need to do to get it to operate would be appreciated.

brad kaste
December 9th, 2010, 10:53
Well,...I've got some egg on my face. By checking out a few things,....I noticed the connector cable from the loco to the tender had pulled out and away. I re-connected it which fixed the problem. Train loco now runs.