PDA

View Full Version : Do you know what "Kwanzaa" really is, and its origins?

Navy Chief
December 9th, 2010, 05:46
For those of you who have kids in school, and "Kwanzaa" is celebrated, do you know the origins of "Kwanzaa"?

You might be surprised to know the founder of it was sentenced to prison for sexual assault. Fact, not fiction.

http://www.onenewsnow.com/Perspectives/Default.aspx?id=354546

I am posting this merely to provide information.

NC

rpjkw
December 9th, 2010, 07:24
I remember hearing about this on talk radio perhaps 10 years ago.

Bob

Toastmaker
December 9th, 2010, 10:04
It was made up as an "alternative" holliday for 14% of the population who wanted to be. . . "alternative".

:running:

jmig
December 9th, 2010, 13:17
Gentlemen, this thread has already been reported by one member. Let's make sure we don't digress into an argument. Keep all statements as clear of emotion as possible, and don't state opinions as facts.

stansdds
December 9th, 2010, 14:41
In before the lock! :wavey:

TARPSBird
December 9th, 2010, 14:42
Probably more white people celebrate Dale Earnhardt Sr.'s birthday than black people celebrate Kwanzaa. However I don't think either one is appropriate for grade school activities.

Navy Chief
December 9th, 2010, 14:42
Reported? For what? Relaying some factual information?

NC

djscoo
December 9th, 2010, 15:08
Reported? For what? Relaying some factual information?

NC

The fact that there is a disclaimer at the end of your original post might be a clue...

Navy Chief
December 9th, 2010, 15:44
The fact that there is a disclaimer at the end of your original post might be a clue...

And?....

Meshman
December 9th, 2010, 16:48
I sure hope this thread gets locked, as it's ruining my Christmas spirit.

This is The NewsHawks forum, isn't it? I'll ponder what is news worthy about this posting and the many others that are made into this forum and how they are relevant to The Community.

Hey I know! I'll post a few (25+) large pictures of my redoing my front yard. That's got to be news worthy...

I always thought Canelo's Cantina was the place for certain types of postings, like this one?

The 2011 bandwidth drive may not see a repeat donation from me, as there appears to be a blurring from Flight Simulation based (in all it's forms) to one more focused on being a club of sorts. I was never known for being into clubbing...

Panther_99FS
December 9th, 2010, 17:07
I'm waiting for the Christmas=Pagan Holiday thread now...

Willy
December 9th, 2010, 17:09
I always thought Canelo's Cantina was the place for certain types of postings, like this one?

No, it's not.

Dangerousdave26
December 9th, 2010, 17:26
I'm waiting for the Christmas=Pagan Holiday thread now...

Give me time I am working on it...

Tap tap tap

type type type

"It was a Dark and Stormy Night..."

No Canelo's Cantina is "Notorious hideout for Sim renegades, outlaws & mercenaries! ...Adults Only!"

It is a place for levity and humor that might be a little more risque and is not a place for controversial, political, or religious topics.

Ya beat me to it Willy

yank51
December 10th, 2010, 03:46
Well, the OP was interesting as I didn't know that. BUT, I also feel it doesn't belong in the Newshawks forum. Seems some people keep pushing the envelope around here, and getting away with it IMHO....:kilroy:

(It has absolutely nothing to do with aviation, not in the least bit....)

jmig
December 10th, 2010, 05:11
Well, the OP was interesting as I didn't know that. BUT, I also feel it doesn't belong in the Newshawks forum. Seems some people keep pushing the envelope around here, and getting away with it IMHO....:kilroy:

(It has absolutely nothing to do with aviation, not in the least bit....)

Yank, Less than 10% of the threads started here are aviation related news. If we were to only allow aviation news, NewsHawks would be as visited as a graveyard at midnight.

NewHarks is named as such and not Aviation NewsHawks for a reason. It is for all non-inflammatory news items. Around Christmas, Kwanzaa is news in the US. Many local papers in the US will carry articles on Kwanzaa, its beginnings, its current trends, and feature local citizens who practice the custom(s).

The word Moderator is based on the root word "Moderate". Moderate means in the middle. As the primary moderator in NewHaws, I do my best to maintain a middle ground. Being human, I have sometimes lapsed into member mode and stated strong opinions. Usually, the results have been less than satisfactory.

Still, when it comes to determining what is and is not acceptable in NewHawks, C9Gal, the Admin Staff, and I try to give as much latitude as possible to threads which are acceptable. We will stop threads which are overtly Religious, Political or inflammatory in nature. We will also step in when two or more members begin to bicker in a thread.

Besides closing the thread, usually the participants are PMed by me or another Staff member. If they continue to cause trouble, stronger measures are taken.

I hope this helps clarify our thinking within NewsHawks and what is and is not appropriate. If you or anyone else has any questions, please feel free to PM me.

djscoo
December 10th, 2010, 07:23
NewHarks is named as such and not Aviation NewsHawks for a reason. It is for all non-inflammatory news items. Around Christmas, Kwanzaa is news in the US. Many local papers in the US will carry articles on Kwanzaa, its beginnings, its current trends, and feature local citizens who practice the custom(s).

The word Moderator is based on the root word "Moderate". Moderate means in the middle. As the primary moderator in NewHaws, I do my best to maintain a middle ground. Being human, I have sometimes lapsed into member mode and stated strong opinions. Usually, the results have been less than satisfactory.

How is calling the founder of Kwanzaa a sexual predator non-inflammatory? How is comparing those who celebrate Kwanzaa to the Symbionese Liberation Army not inflammatory? Even if these statements are true, I fail to see how making them provides any contribution towards a positive discourse in these forums.

CWOJackson
December 10th, 2010, 08:32
Whether anyone considers the original post in poor taste is simply a personal judgment, however, the fact remains that Maulana Karenga served four years in prison for felony sexual assault and false imprisonment of his victims for the two days he assaulted them.

Kwanzaa is a nationally recognized observance, created by a single individual, and taught in most schools. That makes all facts involving it's creator a fair topic regardless of how unsavory.

It's no different then pointing out that the liberal legend Robert Byrd had been a high placed member of the KKK. Whether anyone considers that observation unsuitable when discussing the deceased Senator is a personal judgment but remains germaine to any honest discussion involving him.

The original poster made no inference beyond Maulana Karenga had been "sentenced to prison for sexual assault."

Rather then trying to read his motives into making that observation, suffice it to say most people would find such a revelation regarding the creator of something being taught to their children to be shocking to say the least.

Bone
December 10th, 2010, 08:38
How is calling the founder of Kwanzaa a sexual predator non-inflammatory? How is comparing those who celebrate Kwanzaa to the Symbionese Liberation Army not inflammatory? Even if these statements are true, I fail to see how making them provides any contribution towards a positive discourse in these forums.

Seeing as how you're 19 years old, you were just a tot when all of the sudden "KWANZAA" emerged as the holiday that all African Americans needed to celebrate, because it was part of who they were....it was practically marketed as part of their genome. So, in effect, you grew up with Kwanzaa being there as a normal state of affairs. As for older people, one day we woke up, and there was this guy shouting out to all African Americans that they should drop the Caucasion theme of Christmas, and go back to their heritage of Kwanzaa. No one had ever heard of this, even the African Americans were scratching their heads. However, there was a small group of African Americans who latched onto this idea without caring if it was real or not, because it was just another way for them to show they weren't a part of Caucasion America, and it grew from there.

Now, before anyone calls me a racist, I would like to state that I'm not...I couldn't give a rats butt what color or race someone is. I grew up in a military/aviation family, and for all practical purposes I'm "color blind", figuratively speaking. Also, for the last eight years my significant other has been a Vietnamese American. So, I don't care about race. What I do care about is when someone pulls a scam and try's to pass it off as the natural order of things. If you want to celebrate Kwanzaa or defend it, go ahead, I think that's great, but please keep in mind no one on this planet had ever heard of this age old cultural tradition prior to the 1990's. Hearing some of the facts about it may be inflammatory in your eyes, but it's just knowlege. It's clear Navy Chief's intent was just to pass on knowledge and nothing more. I'm glad he did.

This thread brought to my attention something I didn't know. Now, who would like to get all bent out of shape over the concept of "FESTIVUS"? lol.

Navy Chief
December 10th, 2010, 10:28
Bone and CWOJackson,

Thank you both for expressing what the intent of my post was.

You explained much better than I did, as to why I initiated the thread.

NC

CWOJackson
December 10th, 2010, 10:52
Bone and CWOJackson,

Thank you both for expressing what the intent of my post was.

You explained much better than I did, as to why I initiated the thread.

NC

Thanks not needed for me, just translating.

I spent enough time in the Chief's mess (albeit on real ships not a floating city) that I'm fluent in the muttering.

JoeW
December 10th, 2010, 11:05
That's a good idea .............
When is Dales birthday?
I'd like to celebrate it. :salute:

stansdds
December 10th, 2010, 11:49
That's a good idea .............
When is Dales birthday?
I'd like to celebrate it. :salute:
April 29, 1951. :wiggle:

TARPSBird
December 10th, 2010, 12:01
April 29, 1951. :wiggle:
When I posted last night I didn't even notice Dale and I shared the same birthday; 1951 for him, 1948 for me. :)

Navy Chief
December 10th, 2010, 14:03
Here,

Maybe this will lighten things up a bit........

NC

James
December 10th, 2010, 15:30
Here,

Maybe this will lighten things up a bit........

NC

LOL.

safn1949
December 10th, 2010, 17:16
Very nice Chief.Good to see you again CWO Jackson,where have you been hiding? :jump:

CWOJackson
December 10th, 2010, 17:31
We travel quite a bit but at home we've both been getting increasingly involved in (regional) politics over the past three years.

How have you been?

safn1949
December 10th, 2010, 19:38
Doing good but not getting any better looking...oh well.:jump: