PDA

View Full Version : It was Thirty Years ago Today

Aviator32
December 8th, 2010, 05:18
I still remember it well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11926898

I often wonder what I would think of him if he were alive today.

stiz
December 8th, 2010, 05:28
ok, can someone explain to a non beatle fan, just what is/was so special about lennon?? he was a singer+songwriter ... yea he wrote a couple of good songs .. but nothing exactly brilliant in my view? i just cant see what the fuss is :confused:

huub vink
December 8th, 2010, 06:20
Stiz, it is hard to explain what made Lennon a special person. I think he has become more than he actually was because he was murdered. But he was one of the first famous people preached and practiced 'love and peace'. Because the Beatles music was loved by a wide audience he did reach a lot of people. When you carefully listen to 'imagine' I think you will understand his message.

I still know what I did when I heard the news. I had morning shift on the weather office from Ypenburg AFB. The 'popular' station started at 07:00 and started with the news. The first thing I heard was the news John Lennon had been killed. I had to sit down, as it came as a shock that somebody would kill a person like him.

Cheers,
Huub

Meshman
December 8th, 2010, 08:07
ok, can someone explain to a non beatle fan, just what is/was so special about lennon??

I think it's a generational thing? With no disrespect meant.

Unless you grew up in the 60s/70s and witnessed the impact of The Beatles, saw the turmoil around the world and saw someone who wasn't afraid to speak out, you would miss the significance of John Lennon.

I can still recall Howard Cosell making the announcement about his death while watching Monday Night Football. The game meant nothing to me afterward.

Daveroo
December 8th, 2010, 08:44
ok, can someone explain to a non beatle fan, just what is/was so special about lennon?? he was a singer+songwriter ... yea he wrote a couple of good songs .. but nothing exactly brilliant in my view? i just cant see what the fuss is :confused:

im 48yo,,,i couldnt careless about the beatles...never liked that kind of music...shame the man was murdered..thats horrible initself...but he(Lennomon and yoko and how they made a lil god out of Jr disguseted me)was just another musision to me...just like elvis or mikey jackson...the music may have made you feel good..but what did they really do?....

or is it cause im tone deaf and dont like music im so bitter?