PDA

View Full Version : Java Assistance

falcon409
December 7th, 2010, 20:33
Anyone else running Win7-64bit and unable to install "Java"? I'm having no luck at all and their troubleshooting FAQ's are worthless since the problem I'm having (among others) is that it says the installation cannot continue with the current internet connection settings. What in the world does that mean (no, it isn't addressed anywhere on their support site)?:salute:

Bjoern
December 8th, 2010, 08:24
Java runs fine on my machine.

PRB
December 8th, 2010, 08:52
Check this out:

http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=996804 (http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=996804)

The last post is where he solved this:

OMG!! I finally got it installed. I disabled my DSL connections and installed it offline as was suggested at the Sun Java site. Thanks for your response.
Then there is this one, which suggests the wrong installer is being used:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=302527 (http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=302527)

falcon409
December 8th, 2010, 10:22
I've checked the java panel in the control panel. . .it is installed, just not working. A Pain in the butt to be sure. I use Firfox, not IE and I suspect it has something to do with the IE settings. Would love to be able to dump IE but good ol' MS found it best to integrate it into the very fiber of Windows, lol.

kilo delta
December 8th, 2010, 10:58
Have you tried Google Chrome,Ed? I swear by it...a very snappy browser. No problems running Java on my Win7 64bit Ult. :)

falcon409
December 8th, 2010, 11:45
Have you tried Google Chrome,Ed? I swear by it...a very snappy browser. No problems running Java on my Win7 64bit Ult. :)
Really, I could care less about running Java, but in order for me to be able to use the "FPS_Limiter", I have to have Java running otherwise the "jar" file is unusable and that's what runs the whole program, lol.

UPDATE: What a frigging fickle system, lol, now the "jar" executable works, go figure, lol. All is well, even though Java isn't actually running. . .who knew? lol

kilo delta
December 8th, 2010, 12:18
Glad you've got it sorted out. :)

mmann
December 8th, 2010, 12:57
Really, I could care less about running Java, but in order for me to be able to use the "FPS_Limiter", I have to have Java running otherwise the "jar" file is unusable and that's what runs the whole program, lol.

I wish I had known that you were doing it to use the FPS_Limiter. There is a batch file that allows you to run the Limiter. I use it on my system which doesn't even have Java (or IE for that matter) installed.

Regards, Mike Mann

Stan V.
December 8th, 2010, 14:04
Mike,

Do you have a link for that batch file you have? I finally got Java to execute the jar file on my Win 7-64 system but it doesn't create a bat file as a result so it does me no good. I get no diagnostic messages so don't know if it is an admin problrm or not.

Stan

mmann
December 8th, 2010, 14:29
The following is quoted from the user "HatulBitzot" at the Bushpounder.com forum in response to me saying Java was required for FPS Limiter:

Just a small note, there is no actual need to install Java in order to put the FPS Limiter to work.

Java is needed only for running the interface that creates the batch file that actually starts the Limiter together with the FSX. Those who don’t need or don’t like the present of Java on their computers can build the Limiter.bat file with any text editor (such as Notepad).

You need only the following 4 files to run the Limiter: “FPS_Limiter.exe” “Limiter_D3D9.dll” "HookHelper.dll" and the batch file. Put them together in a single folder.

Start Notepad write the command line and save the file as Limit.bat make sure that you have it in the same folder as the other limiter files.

The batch file should have only one line in it, mine has the following:
D:\"Sim\FPS\"FPS_Limiter.exe /r:D3D9 /f:30 /x:OFF /l:OFF "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe"

The first part (D:\"Sim\FPS\"FPS_Limiter.exe) is the path to the limiter program on your computer.
The second part ( /r:D3D9 /f:30 /x:OFF /l:OFF) contains the instructions for the limier for running in directX 9 and at maximum of 30 fps (you can write any number between 20 -50 but start with 30 and if needed change it later)
The third part ( "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe") is the path to the simulator main program on your computer.

Those who run Win7 must mark the limiter main program FPS_Limiter.exe with the run as administrator switch, otherwise it will not run. Right click on the file name, select Properties and mark the Run as administrator box under the Computability tab.

In order to run the simulator navigate to the Limit.bat file and double-click on it. It should open a black DOS window that should remain open and after few seconds it should start the SIM. Once you close the SIM program the DOS window will prompt you with Press any key to quit.

Don’t forget to set the PFS limit in the simulator to Unlimited. If everything runs OK you should see (Upon pressing Shift+Z+Z) the real FPS (in this case something between 28-32) followed by the word Unlimited.

Just one word of caution don’t do anything if what is written above sounds as Hebrew to you. It is better to stay with what you have now than to end up with corrupted system.

Regards, Mike Mann

falcon409
December 8th, 2010, 14:52
Mike, great info there for sure. Thanks for the explanation. . .that probably helps a lot of folks who were having similar problems to mine and bypasses the java headaches. Well Done!:salute:

mmann
December 8th, 2010, 15:31
Mike, great info there for sure. Thanks for the explanation. . .that probably helps a lot of folks who were having similar problems to mine and bypasses the java headaches. Well Done!:salute:

The thanks all belong to "HatulBitzot" at the Bushpounder.com, I just posted his explanation here to help out those here at SOH.

I use Windows XP and his batch file and explanation worked perfectly. I can't vouch for it working with Windows 7.

Regards, Mike Mann