PDA

View Full Version : Textures for Select aircraft

Hern07
December 7th, 2010, 18:25
I'm sure I am not the first to think of this, but I will toss it out any way. We all know that if a thumbnail is not included in the texeure folder, the aircraft will not show up in Select Aircraft. Also, some aircraft do not have thumbnails in their texture files. First, I downloaded a free thumbnail editor. Now I add the aircraft, take a screenshot of the Aircraft and convert it to a thumnail and add it to the texture file. The Aircraft now shows up in Select Aircraft. So far, simply renaming the jpg file "thumbnail" has worked.

PutPut
December 8th, 2010, 21:05
Actually, you don't need a thumbnail to show in the aircraft selection list. It shows in the list with the right title and a generic airplane with a big ? in it. Thumbnails are desirable of course, especially if the is more than one paint.

Best, Paul

Hern07
December 9th, 2010, 20:05
You are right. I usually use this when i import fs9 aircraft into FSX, and they have no thumbnail in the textures. Also, I don't like the looks of the "question marks." I use it sometimes just to personalize my select aircraft folder. As a bonus I found a good free thumbnails editor.

paulb
December 20th, 2010, 21:54
One tip - if you want to make your own personalised thumbnails and you have a paint program -

I use PSP and create a 'frame' 1024 by 512. ie I crate a layer 1024 by 512 but with the inside cut out, so my border is only 5 pixels wide. After I take a screenshot, I simply put my 'frame' on top of the screenshot and move it around to compose my picture. I then do a cut and paste of my frame with the picture inside and resixe it down at 50% or 25%.

The end result is a nice looking thumbnail without any of the distorted images that are often seen in peoples own thumbnails.

mjrhealth
December 21st, 2010, 21:46
There is a free ware thumnail generator somewhere abouts, You simply take off then run it and it will generate thumbnails for every texture for that particular model. Nice and easy.

Look forAutothumbnail2.zip on avsim fsx utilities
<table align="center" bgcolor="#aaccee" border="0" width="50%"><tbody><tr><td width="25%">
</td><td width="75%">
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Hern07
January 9th, 2011, 21:35
If you have Windows 7 you can use their free screen capture program, paste your image to their paint program, then save it as a jpeg, rename it tumbnail, and drop it in the texture folder. All in one fell swoop.

guzler
January 15th, 2011, 07:36
There's a freeware program to do all this for you called auto thumbnail. You simply click on the icon at the top when flying your aircraft and it automatically puts a thumbnail in the relevant texture folder. Nice and quick if you have a lot to do.