PDA

View Full Version : OT - Buy.com?

DaveKDEN
December 5th, 2010, 09:01
Anyone order any electronics from Buy.com? What was your experience? I'm thinking about ordering some Logitech Z623 computer speakers through them. $132.67 shipped cost - which seems to be the best price from a well known online retailer.

Snaker
December 5th, 2010, 12:29
I bought a flight sim yoke a few years back. Had no problems with shipping or anything and was very pleased with how the transaction went....

:wavey:

Navy Chief
December 5th, 2010, 12:53
Anyone order any electronics from Buy.com? What was your experience? I'm thinking about ordering some Logitech Z623 computer speakers through them. $132.67 shipped cost - which seems to be the best price from a well known online retailer.

Dave, have you compared the quality of other systems, like Creative? I don't care for their sound cards too much, but have always liked their computer speaker systems.

NC

DaveKDEN
December 5th, 2010, 14:08
Dave, have you compared the quality of other systems, like Creative? I don't care for their sound cards too much, but have always liked their computer speaker systems.

NC

Actually have compared the earlier Logitech Z523 to the Bose companion 3 series II side by side. Thought the Logitech had more bang for the buck - at about 1/3 the price of the Bose. The Z623 has more punch than the Z523 (200 watts vs. 40 watts), and the price is only 1/2 as much as the Bose. Don't get me wrong, the Bose system sounds great, but as is the case with everything they make, they're too darned expensive.

The Z623 is THX certified, and has RCA inputs. Also thought I could hook them up to my HDTV to see how they sound. Might be a cheap way to beef up the sound from it.

My cheapo Labtec speakers are starting to act up. Getting an extremely loud intermittent feedback buzz out of the subwoofer. Seems like it has to do with both left/right speaker inputs plus the power adapter plug in.

DaveKDEN
December 6th, 2010, 14:23
Ordered them. Standard shipping 4 - 14 days (expecting closer to 14). Let you know how they work out when they arrive.

http://www.buy.com/prod/216681201.html

hey_moe
December 6th, 2010, 15:20
I have ordered from them many times, but sometime others still offer better prices...Mike

DaveKDEN
December 6th, 2010, 16:11
I have ordered from them many times, but sometime others still offer better prices...Mike

This was definitely the best price I found (at least til the time of ordering). The Z623 system typically costs $150.00. Factor in tax for a store purchase, or higher shipping from other online vendors and I feel like I got a pretty darn good deal.

DaveKDEN
December 10th, 2010, 14:08
UPS delivered them about 2 hours ago. Hooked them up to my HDTV through the RCA output and they sound fantastic (Star Trek First Contact opening scenes and the Ride of the Rohirrum from Return of the King as a quick test). Didn't have to turn off the TV speakers, as the RCA output runs concurrently with the TV speaker sound. Nice to not have to choose between one or the other. Only issue is they don't have a wireless remote. Otherwise the Z623 would make a very good 2.1 set-up at a very reasonable price.

Unhooked from HDTV and now running on my computer (as originally intended) - what a huge difference from my old cheapo Labtec's. Sub-woofer is incredible, and the overall clarity is substantially better. A really nice looking set of left/right speakers as well - very stylish (IMO). Power button, volume and bass control, headphone input, and aux input located convieniently on right speaker. Left and right speakers hook up to the sub directly so you don't have to route your cables all over the place. Sub has built-in power transformer so it uses a regular plug (doesn't have a bulky transformer hanging out of the wall).

Overall a great purchase! :jump: Very glad I saved the money vs. going with the Bose Companion 3 series II (no offense to Bose fans meant).

If you're in the market, these would make a great Christmas gift suggestion. Here's the link from Buy.com:

http://www.buy.com/prod/216681201.html

ryanbatc
December 10th, 2010, 16:10
Good to hear things worked out!

I own a Z-680 5.1 Logitech system that I've used since early 2003. I had them in my dorm room in college, but now they're hooked up to my PS3 and TV via toslink fiber optic. They're a bit old but have worked great for so long! The 680's are cheap if you can still find them... comparable to the newer 5500's:
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/speakers-audio/home-pc-speakers/devices/224

I also use another Logitech legacy product, the X530's 5.1 speakers for gaming... so far so good.

I did have a pair of Creative 2.1's that I gave to my dad a few years back... they worked ok but didn't seem up to par with comparable Logitech speakers.

Funny thing is I own a Creative x-fi card hehe!