PDA

View Full Version : Moving Files From One Drive to Another

falcon409
December 4th, 2010, 16:24
Sorry about starting a new thread, but I didn't want this to get buried in the previous one about my Puter Woes, lol.

Since the new Computer has the same folder structure (Program Files (x86)), shouldn't I be able to simply move all the necessary files over to the new drive and have them function normally?

Marvin Carter
December 4th, 2010, 17:27
I did it with most of my reinstall for FSX, had to do some payware stuff from scatch. I saved most of my folders from X on sep. ext. HD and just replaced them, and reinstall scenery in scenery library!!!

stansdds
December 4th, 2010, 18:12
Programs will need entries in the registry, otherwise they will not run.

falcon409
December 4th, 2010, 18:16
Programs will need entries in the registry, otherwise they will not run.
Yea, the one thing I dread when I have a full failure like this (and I've had a lot of em') is the inevitable task of reinstalling everything from scratch.:salute:

Meshman
December 4th, 2010, 18:22
No!!! Not the (Program Files (x86)) folders, arrggghhhh. Unless you like setting permissions and all the other garbage?

For your spare/extra HD you might check out this at Newegg; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153071

I got one earlier this year when one computer died and I needed to still use the data on the HD. If you have an e-SATA connector on the new system then you'll be running at pretty much the same speed as an internal HD. Very nice "toaster", as they are referred to.

falcon409
December 4th, 2010, 18:29
. . . . .For your spare/extra HD you might check out this at Newegg; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153071

I got one earlier this year when one computer died and I needed to still use the data on the HD. If you have an e-SATA connector on the new system then you'll be running at pretty much the same speed as an internal HD. Very nice "toaster", as they are referred to.
Now that's a pretty cool little invention. . .Thanks for the HU!!:salute:

SkippyBing
December 5th, 2010, 01:14
No!!! Not the (Program Files (x86)) folders, arrggghhhh. Unless you like setting permissions and all the other garbage?

You've got to feel sorry for MS, they address the security issues with their operating system by ensuring programs can't write to vulnerable areas without permission. So then people decide to put things in all kinds of places and wonder why they have problems!