FSDSMAN
December 4th, 2010, 05:50
For those that may be interested.
http://mark-harper.co.uk/

Thanks to all concerned.

Lateral-G
December 4th, 2010, 06:30
Price?

It looks like you have to download BEFORE you buy. I'd prefer to know the price prior....

I'm just funny that way.

-G-

fox18delta
December 4th, 2010, 06:41
Me too... it's $32 USD... Anyone gone flying yet ? How does it handle ?
:jump:

Cag40Navy
December 4th, 2010, 06:47
Looks good, i might buy it but ill wait and see what is said.

fox18delta
December 4th, 2010, 07:12
There is a preview video on youtube, couple months old

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fmw3f083_s

FSDSMAN
December 4th, 2010, 07:27
Yes it is $32 <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
You should be able to download the file but not install before you purchase. (I thought I made that clear in the info page)<o:p></o:p>
I have tried to be "open and honest" about what you get on the limitations page and all this information is available before you commit.<o:p></o:p>
I do not make exaggerated claims about the stuff and I have tried my best to be honest with the package. <o:p></o:p>
I am sure that some of the "beta team" will support the statements and facts.<o:p></o:p>
It is not my intention to miss-lead the customer and that is why I have tried to give as much info on it as I think relevant before a decision is made. If more info is required then I can post more if reasonable but some may just prefer a “seat on the fence” <o:p></o:p>
If you liked the Skysim Mirage then this should be ok<o:p></o:p>
Nobody has to purchase<o:p></o:p>
Nobody gets it for free.<o:p></o:p>
Now I need time to eat and sleep.<o:p></o:p>

fox18delta
December 4th, 2010, 07:32
Your preview looks great for slow handling ...your screens look good too. Think you've got a winner there. Thanks for your efforts.

calypsos
December 4th, 2010, 07:46
I am guessing (from a name listed on the beta team) that this model will have a similar activation method to the Skysim Hawk and Mirage (the latter made by Mark as well), I am assuming that once downloaded, the 'exe' will connect and handle the commerce. It looks like it is an updated and re-vamped native FSX version of the old FS9 Alphasim model, which was very good in it's day.

I have not been involved with this project at all (but from past involvement on the Mirage), my guess is this will be the best model of this type of airframe you will get in the forseeable future.

Me? I'll wait for the promised Sea Hawk!

krazycolin
December 4th, 2010, 07:49
Shouldn't this (and the Nemeth's Sa-2) be stickied?

fsafranek
December 4th, 2010, 09:45
I am guessing (from a name listed on the beta team) that this model will have a similar activation method to the Skysim Hawk and Mirage (the latter made by Mark as well), I am assuming that once downloaded, the 'exe' will connect and handle the commerce. It looks like it is an updated and re-vamped native FSX version of the old FS9 Alphasim model, which was very good in it's day.

I have not been involved with this project at all (but from past involvement on the Mirage), my guess is this will be the best model of this type of airframe you will get in the forseeable future.

Yes, it uses the same purchase method as the Skysim models you've mentioned. It is a truly beautiful model and flyer. Full description/discloser and screen shots are over at the ALS-SIM.com website. Some additional screen shots/discussion here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=45418 and some earlier stuff here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=40309

I want to contradict one thing you said though. This one has no ties to the old Alphasim FS9 version other than the aircraft name. It is a brand new FSX model from the ground up. No porting, no borrowing.
:ernae:

FSDSMAN
December 4th, 2010, 09:50
I am guessing (from a name listed on the beta team) that this model will have a similar activation method to the Skysim Hawk and Mirage

Me? I'll wait for the promised Sea Hawk!
The Mirage was a different activation process and this is similar but you will not have to wait for a code.

Contact me regarding the Mirage and the new VC and enhancements if you wish to be involved again.

This is not a "re-vamp" of my old and basic Alpha stuff.
Regards

fox18delta
December 4th, 2010, 11:20
:applause:Have purchased..in flight over Kaneohe Bay MCAS.

Love the jet...fantastic ride ! Did a few touch and goes...taxis like a 25 ton jet too. Very nice so far !
Highly recommend.

Rattler
December 4th, 2010, 12:15
What Am I Chopped Liver?

:kilroy::kilroy::kilroy:

FSDSMAN
December 4th, 2010, 12:42
Email sent. Apologies given,. Amendments will be done. No sleep, No food, Snowed in, Dog going banana’s and my wife hates Vodka. What am I meant to do? I will take a breath and exhale in the morning.
Your time and effort is not forgotten.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

calypsos
December 4th, 2010, 13:10
Sorry if I got it wrong about the model, I remembered you did the old one and assumed (wrongly) that it formed the basis for this one too. Good luck with your own distribution, it's got to be the way forward, despite the lack of sleep!

StormILM
December 4th, 2010, 13:12
On behalf of myself and all those of us who participated in Beta testing of the Flanker, I wish to congratulate Mr. Mark Harper for a job well done on the Flanker and John Cagle for a fantastic Flight Model ! A lot of hard work and teary tired computer screen eyes went into the model.

Personally, it has been a privilege to have been invited to be involved in the project and testing.

Having been a customer of Mark's many works from the Alphasim models to the Mirage III/5, I can honestly say this is truly an outstanding work and one an FSX user can enjoy for years to come.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

SADT
December 4th, 2010, 13:39
I dont wish to detract from the main product, but I do have a question for Mark:
Will the Mirages be on sale before Christmas or on Christmas day?

The Flanker looks excellent :salute: but it is not my cup of tea. Great job on the modelling though!

Wings of Gold
December 4th, 2010, 13:42
I have throughly tested the FDE. Buy this one - you will NOT be disappointed! It's outstanding in aspects. Bill

Wings of Gold
December 4th, 2010, 13:45
Addendum (must learn to read before sending): It's outstanding in ALL aspects! Bill

peter12213
December 4th, 2010, 15:05
WOO HOO! :salute: :jump::jump::jump:

jetstreamsky
December 4th, 2010, 15:20
There is a preview video on youtube, couple months old

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fmw3f083_s

Excellent, very evocative of the practice flights I saw over two weeks at Farnborough Airshow.

Barfly
December 4th, 2010, 19:59
Just purchased and flew a few minutes. Really an outstanding looking and flying bird - flight feel extremely realistic. Not the ultimate in visual detail, but appropriate for excellent frame rates. Outstanding, as good as it gets engine sounds and afterburner effects. Nice details like intake FOD screen that moves on gear retraction. Just a few observations from an initial flight. Looking forward to flying this in multi along with the upcoming Milviz Eagles :)

Quixoticish
December 5th, 2010, 01:26
Is there a repaint kit?

FSDSMAN
December 5th, 2010, 01:43
Due to what I have in mind for the Mirages I doubt if they will be ready before Xmas - but we will see how it goes.
Flanker Paint Kit will be available as soon as I have time to put it together. It has only been 12 Hours out.
I will post when I have done it.

Quixoticish
December 5th, 2010, 06:39
Due to what I have in mind for the Mirages I doubt if they will be ready before Xmas - but we will see how it goes.
Flanker Paint Kit will be available as soon as I have time to put it together. It has only been 12 Hours out.
I will post when I have done it.

That's good news, thanks. No major rush, just as long as one will be released at some point in the not too distant future then I'll pop along to purchase today.

skyblazer3
December 5th, 2010, 09:06
It is a first class aircraft. Great on cross country flights, solo aerobatics, and formation aerobatics. It just feels right. John is a wizard with flight models... he was wonderful in the beta-testing process and worked tirelessly until we were all satisfied.

Mark did beautiful things with modeling and coding. The developers on this project are really first class people, and have produced a product which I think we will all enjoy for many many hours.

It's great to see this out where others can enjoy it. :salute::salute:

deathfromafar
December 5th, 2010, 22:13
Shouldn't this (and the Nemeth's Sa-2) be stickied?:bump:

Sundog
December 6th, 2010, 15:54
Bump-Sticky? It's a release of a Su-27 Flanker for FSX thread.

wombat666
December 7th, 2010, 01:06
Email sent. Apologies given,. Amendments will be done. No sleep, No food, Snowed in, Dog going banana’s and my wife hates Vodka. What am I meant to do? I will take a breath and exhale in the morning.
Your time and effort is not forgotten.<o:p></o:p>

Sounds like fun ...... :jump:........AND you get all the rocket fuel!

warchild
December 7th, 2010, 01:20
Beautifully done flight model.. nice too see someone else also figured out how to do thrust vectoring and took it further than i've been able too..
Pam

Ferry_vO
December 7th, 2010, 02:17
Looks great Mark! This goes right to the top of the list, but it will have to wait until next year before I purchase. :)

Dag
December 7th, 2010, 03:55
This one I will download and buy tomorrow, I cannot wait 'till x-mas. It looks outstanding ! :salute:
Mark and crew, fantastic work :applause:

Thanks

Warrant
December 7th, 2010, 09:43
Got it, starting up now. Flankers are my favorite planes, hope one will make a decent two-seater as well (SU-30 variants preferred)!

Hendo
December 7th, 2010, 09:43
Bought it and I'm enjoying every minute spent
in the cockpit.

Just fantastic!

Thank You

Warrant
December 7th, 2010, 09:49
Bought it and I'm enjoying every minute spent
in the cockpit.

Just fantastic!

Thank You

Oh system, please hurry up! Me want to be in cockpit NOW....hurry up! :jump::jump::jump:

Warrant
December 7th, 2010, 10:01
Ohw Bummer! I get a "license key fail" and the pop-up windows also fail on me!
Made my FSX crash :banghead:
To quote Homer Simpson on this one...........DO'H!!!

FSDSMAN
December 7th, 2010, 10:10
Check the support forum regarding any problems with installs. Normally resolved easily.
Regards

noddy
December 7th, 2010, 10:33
Warrent,

I had exactly the same issue, check the forum or copy and paste your ALS_Flanker_B.lic file into your windows folder.

Thanks to Mark's hard work who managed to sort the issue.

Warrant
December 7th, 2010, 10:54
Thanks guys, think that worked. Now for my next quest....finding the manual.
All liveries are unarmed. How to get some firecrackers under those pylons?
Cannot find a manual anywhere.

Edit: Found out about the missile payload (very nice BTW!), manual still very much needed/required.

peter12213
December 7th, 2010, 11:05
I couldn't resist any longer installing as I type!

noddy
December 7th, 2010, 11:56
Warrant (got right this time!)

The manual can be found in the main Flanker folder in the simobejcts aircraft.

Warrant
December 7th, 2010, 12:07
Warrant (got right this time!)

The manual can be found in the main Flanker folder in the simobejcts aircraft.

Hi Noddy, no such file found there. Also keep having trouble with the pop-up windows regarding instrument panels. In the panel.cfg several pop-ups are mentioned (like GPS), but in the menu in FSX i only see "main panel" and "licence". I think there might still be something wrong here. I'm running the bird in FSX acceleration in a Vista Ultimate (64bit) environment.
I did the "admin rights install" as mentioned at the developers forum.

noddy
December 7th, 2010, 12:20
In that case I can only suggest trying via the forum, Mark was really helpful.

Just to confirm you do have the ALS-SIM Flanker B in your sim objects airplanes folder?

Also, do have the following .dll files in your main FSX Folder:

als-sim.dll

gaugesound.dll

That was my problem and the .Lic file being in the wrong place, under Windows 7 64 bit. But as mentioned in my previous post, just copying the .lic which is found in your main Drive C in ALS-SIM.Com folder in to your Windows folder in the C drive.

But if all else fails try Mark

Warrant
December 7th, 2010, 12:28
In that case I can only suggest trying via the forum, Mark was really helpful.

Just to confirm you do have the ALS-SIM Flanker B in your sim objects airplanes folder?

Also, do have the following .dll files in your main FSX Folder:

als-sim.dll

gaugesound.dll

That was my problem and the .Lic file being in the wrong place, under Windows 7 64 bit. But as mentioned in my previous post, just copying the .lic which is found in your main Drive C in ALS-SIM.Com folder in to your Windows folder in the C drive.

But if all else fails try Mark

Thanks for your effort, Noddy

Did (and found already in the correct spots) just as you said. No change.
Already registered at Marc's site. Still await the second e-mail iot post my trouble.

Dag
December 7th, 2010, 13:53
Purchase put on hold, I have the same OS and FSX setup as Warrant. I hope it gets sorted soon, this is one too good to miss.

Warrant
December 7th, 2010, 14:00
Purchase put on hold, I have the same OS and FSX setup as Warrant. I hope it gets sorted soon, this is one too good to miss.

Problems solved! Silly old me was looking in the bloody wrong folder! :bump: Have the ASF Flanker as well and was constantly looking in that folder to fix stuff in the newly purchased Flanker by ALS-Sim (Boy, it has been a long and intensive day at work!:173go1:). Found everything to be in place and even found the manual :wiggle:

Great bird! Love it!!! :medals:

Edit: despite that i have a small point of critisism: The autopilot seems very unstabile. It does not seem to keep altitude very well (at 480 KIAS, which is a very realistic cruise speed at 24kft), especilally when in turns, and the platform seems very instabile in behaviour (reacting if there was severe turbulence (wiggling) while at the same alt and speed) when cruising.

Edit 2: evaluating the autopilot further, with a more complex route the bird does not seem to hold altitude at all (despite several altitude resets).

fsafranek
December 7th, 2010, 18:37
Thanks guys, think that worked. Now for my next quest....finding the manual.
All liveries are unarmed. How to get some firecrackers under those pylons?
Cannot find a manual anywhere.

Edit: Found out about the missile payload (very nice BTW!), manual still very much needed/required.
Hi Warrant. Manual is in the "SimObjects/Airplanes/ALS-SIM Flanker B" folder. The weights to display for the weapons is also included on the kneeboard reference file. There's a kneeboard checklist file as well.

Later: Ah, I see you found the manual. Trying to reproduce the AP problems you mentioned. I'm getting a very steady AP controlled flight. The altitude hold works best if you fly level and get the variometer to the right of the attitude indicator to zero out before pushing the Current Altitude Hold button. Am flying with Heading Hold also selected and making adjustments on the heading bug and she holds altitude within a foot or two in turns. Will try to break it though.

FSDSMAN
December 7th, 2010, 21:34
The auto pilot functions were changed about 6 times during the beta testing and in the end it was decided that this aircraft would just have a "hold current pitch" and "hold current alt". Originally you could dial in a height and other options but it was deemed not authentic. You should be able to hold pitch, altitude ok if as frank says it is steady before commit. You can also set the speed to hold as well. It was thought that most would fly this with very little "hands off" time.
Any issues and we will try and resolve them.
Rgds

bstolle
December 7th, 2010, 23:40
Beautifully done flight model.. nice too see someone else also figured out how to do thrust vectoring and took it further than i've been able too..
Pam

LOL, are you sure Pam? I didn't know that THIS Su-27 has thrust vectoring......

Dag
December 8th, 2010, 07:15
Hi,

Bought and installed. Outstanding addon in every aspect, superb !!:salute:

Thanks

warchild
December 8th, 2010, 17:44
LOL, are you sure Pam? I didn't know that THIS Su-27 has thrust vectoring......

I know there's a version that does, and that backflip and the super-maneuverability would indicate that it does.. I could be wrong though :).. mind you, I'm going on only what i see in the video.. At th3e moment, i cant afford to purchase the model..

bstolle
December 8th, 2010, 20:03
Pam

Oh, I interpreted your post that you do have the Su27 to be able to make such a statement, sorry about that....

fsafranek
December 8th, 2010, 20:26
I know there's a version that does, and that backflip and the super-maneuverability would indicate that it does.. I could be wrong though :).. mind you, I'm going on only what i see in the video..
There are aerodynamic cobras and mechanical cobras. The Su-27 does the former. The F-22, with thrust vectoring, does the latter.

wilycoyote4
December 8th, 2010, 20:45
http://www.aviapedia.com/
scroll down on the right for Flanker videos, different kinds of Flankers as well, lotsa videos

Warrant
December 9th, 2010, 10:02
The auto pilot functions were changed about 6 times during the beta testing and in the end it was decided that this aircraft would just have a "hold current pitch" and "hold current alt". Originally you could dial in a height and other options but it was deemed not authentic. You should be able to hold pitch, altitude ok if as frank says it is steady before commit. You can also set the speed to hold as well. It was thought that most would fly this with very little "hands off" time.
Any issues and we will try and resolve them.
Rgds

Thanks for your reply.

Is it possible to receive the autopilot function where i can set my Saitek multifunctional panel with altitude and nav (and regular) heading settings? I really would like to have the possibility to take off, set the altitude (default climb rate i can determine in the aircraft.cfg) and slave the heading to my GPS-displayed flightplan.

Would really appreciate it! Can give you proof of purchase if you require this.

:salute:

FSDSMAN
December 9th, 2010, 11:36
It is not proof of purchase that is required - more the viability of the project update. It will be considered but it is not a case of simply swapping out a gauge in the panel cfg as most parts/functions are coded into the model. This would mean a re-compile of all models and a code change in the XML file. I am not saying it will not be done - more of why? And also if an update is required it is best to encompass all requests.
As stated this was designed to be a "hands on" plane to fly and if you construct a flight plan and then load it then it should do what you want it to do but also it was designed to be "flown" and not slaved to a "tube liner" navigation system. Burn and learn. I do have a Bombardier model in the works that will do what you wish if you wish to sit back and enjoy the sim though.
I will assess and see what can be done.
Regards,

Warrant
December 9th, 2010, 12:43
I do have a Bombardier model in the works that will do what you wish if you wish to sit back and enjoy the sim though. I will assess and see what can be done.

Though i look forward to a real good Bombardier as well, that's not really what i have in mind. I did try the autopilot as earlier suggested. But to upkeep a planned flight with only using the hdg adjust knob, i need a GPS. Otherwise i'd like to use option of nav1 option provided in the model's autopilot. Realistic or not, i'd like an altitude selector that will bring me up to a pre-selected altitude as well, especially when flying IFR and with realistic weather selected. Something (again realistic or not) i'd like to have in a generation 4+ fighter. Fighters like these long range Flankers i do not take for a short one hour spin normally. I'd rather set up for a long transition to a fighter area of operations where i perform BFM and transit a long way back to (home) base. I do this while recording the flight a lot, and then use another aircraft to "fight" the playback bird. Sometimes the setup's are even more complicated and a real good autoplitot helps me to set up this thing.

I certainly hope you can provide such capability (perhaps from one of the beta-test autopilot functions).

Kind regards, Warrant.

Edit: Result flying autopilot as Frank said: Unstabile wiggling (turbulence sensation) remains, as well as a 1000ft+ alt drop when turning utilizing heading bug. Apparantly no difference with situation described earlier. Once i take off and establish a certain altitude of desire i select alt-hold. Then (once stabile) i adjust desired altitude and the aircraft climbs out and settles at that particular altitude. Currently testing with fair weather conditions. Later on i will test descend and variable weather conditions. Will update findings here.

Update: it seems to work now. Except for the sometimes occurring wiggling effects the AP is tweaked, and the workflow to operate the AP is to my satisfaction. Are you guy's willing to concider a possibility to load the R-27TE IR longburn (AA-10D) as well?

FSDSMAN
December 9th, 2010, 20:56
We always keep an open mind regarding idea's. Remember this is not a Gen 4+ aircraft - that is the new SU35 now entering service. Regarding the autopilot - do you use just "key strokes" mapped to your flight stick? If so it might be possible to add an invisible gauge in the panel to achieve this.

Dag
December 10th, 2010, 03:31
Addictive this Su! Again, thanks for all the good work put into it, worth every penny/cent/øre :salute:
Next Su should be a -17/20/22 :-P

Thanks

FSDSMAN
December 10th, 2010, 03:49
How about a 34?

SirBenn21
December 10th, 2010, 03:55
How about a 34?

:salute: That will have my vote.

Ben

Warrant
December 10th, 2010, 06:37
How about a SU-30MK(I/A/V)? With the latest radar and load of AA-12, 11 and 10A/B/C/D's

:jump:

Ferry_vO
December 10th, 2010, 06:53
Slightly off-topic, but:

:birthday: Mark! :birthday2:ernae:

Warrant
December 10th, 2010, 07:15
:birthday: :ernae::icon29::ernae::wavey:, Mark

FSDSMAN
December 10th, 2010, 07:51
Cheers chaps - off to my Rugby Club to down a few Vodka's and then on to the local Curry house for a "Ruby Murry"
Oh I forgot to mention - as it is my Birthday - anybody who purchases the Flanker today gets 50% off the Mirage V2 when relased - but only for today - and of course if you want the Mirage :ernae:
Just a mad moment really.

flaviossa
December 10th, 2010, 09:06
:frown: ohhh ... i have already the mirage ...
But happy birthday anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :salute:

Maury2008
December 10th, 2010, 09:15
How can i get support for the Flanker ? I post in the forum on the ALS-Sim Site but my thread is not showed

noddy
December 10th, 2010, 12:55
It has to get authorised first, once that has been done it will show.

Sundog
December 10th, 2010, 16:46
Happy Birthday and I'm off to get the Flanker.

Also, I would love to have an Su-34 in FSX!

fsafranek
December 10th, 2010, 18:15
How can i get support for the Flanker ? I post in the forum on the ALS-Sim Site but my thread is not showed
Please visit the site again. I see you have been added.

DX-FMJ
December 10th, 2010, 18:46
Addictive this Su! Again, thanks for all the good work put into it, worth every penny/cent/øre :salute:
Next Su should be a -17/20/22 :-P

Thanks

Dag do you still do repaints?

Once paintkit is released, might we see some paints by you? :salute:

Dag
December 10th, 2010, 20:00
Dag do you still do repaints?

Once paintkit is released, might we see some paints by you? :salute:

May well be :-) Cannot promise anything though.

Maury2008
December 10th, 2010, 23:50
Please visit the site again. I see you have been added.

No. I can see always the same threat but mine is not showing

vora
December 11th, 2010, 00:52
Mark, your site has some very interesting buttons for me carrier-addict...
Does "Russian Ships" and "Flankers" imply there's a remote chance for a Su-33 - Admiral Kusnetsov combo?
The HMS Eagle also looks very promising...

PS.: a late :birthday::ernae::icon29::icon29: from :germany: , as well!

FSDSMAN
December 11th, 2010, 01:04
When I get chance I will post some images. Kuz is done so is Minsk and Eagle plus other stuff like Akula's and Kara's

StormILM
December 11th, 2010, 10:37
25324253252532725328<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

StormILM
December 11th, 2010, 10:40
25329253302533125332<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/misc/pencil.pngCobra <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

StormILM
December 11th, 2010, 10:42
25333253342533525336<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

StormILM
December 11th, 2010, 11:02
Anyone who hasn't taken the plunge to buy the Flanker yet is missing a lot of fun!
Just after just a few minutes of flying around and getting the feel of it, you'll be able to really dig into the flight model.

For performing a Pugachev Cobra maneuver, the entry speed is around 280 kias and in level flight(you can perform the maneuver in other attitudes of flight). Simply make a steady brisk pull on the stick until maximum defection and the plane will pitch up past the 90 degree mark very quickly. To recover, push forward on the stick and add power as needed. You will get a stall & max AoA warning through the maneuver. Just keep in mind that at very high AoA, the plane will slip and sink very quickly in vertical attitudes and you want to avoid high AoA maneuvering at low energy state and low altitude.

Tail slides are easy. Just point it up and cut throttle. Recovery is easy not unlike a Cessna.
There's a lot of excellent Flanker demo reference videos out there to get a good idea on for building maneuver envelope knowledge. This model will pretty much cover all of the standard Flanker's envelope!

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

SirBenn21
December 27th, 2010, 12:27
I bought this because of the positive posts on this post. I absolutely love the SU27, but this is the biggest waste this year if the problems are not fixed!
1. You can't see the wings from the cockpit.
2. You can pull a cobra from virtually any speed.
3. You can cut engines from 30000 ft and basically glide for miles and miles without applying any throttle.

on the flip side

1. It has a great sound.
2. The modeling is great.
3. The cockpit looks great.
4. Plenty of skins to go around.

It's got the makings of a great add-on but I hope it gets fixed soon.....

Ben

FSDSMAN
December 27th, 2010, 21:52
I bought this because of the positive posts on this post. I absolutely love the SU27, but this is the biggest waste this year if the problems are not fixed!
1. You can't see the wings from the cockpit.
2. You can pull a cobra from virtually any speed.
3. You can cut engines from 30000 ft and basically glide for miles and miles without applying any throttle.

Ben
You can't see the wings from the bang seat in a real Flanker
I can't pull a cobra - period
I fall like a rock if the engines are cut.
As I have said it the correct support forum - points taken and we wiill see what can be done

warchild
December 28th, 2010, 04:34
Not to add fuel to a fire but rather to assist in understanding if possible.. The Flankers are some of the most difficult aircraft in the world to fly.. The cobra is a very specific maneuver wherein you enter it at approximately 400 KPH, Raise the nose to 105 degrees without gaining altitude, then lower the nose and continue moving forward.. From what i saw in the video, the flight model is very close to accurate, if not accurate. This plane is not your family cessna though, and for it to maneuver like it does, other things have to be given up. its one of the reasons i have never finished nor released my version of the flight model for the Su-37/S-30MKH.
As i havent actually purchased this aircraft I cant speak to the visual problems, but i can speak about its flight model.. When your talking about a plane with 3D vectored thrust, your talking about a plane that can flip over on its back and fly backwards long enough to fire off a missile before flipping over once again and continuing on.. It will happily turn a pilot into a pile of boneless goo on the cockpit floor if it isnt respected.. however, if it gets the respect it demands, it can do almost anything you ask it too.. As for gliding several miles.. Its a Mach 2 aircraft with a majorly low drag cross section, and a 2:1 thrust ratio. It will accelerate vertically. So if your cruising at mach 2 and cut the engines at 30000 feet, once they wind down which takes a while, it'll still take you a very long distance to glide before you fall.. best bet there is to use the air brake to slow down.. It increases the drag by over half as much again, and nearly doubles it..
Take your time with this plane. If you watch you tube videos taken in the cockpits, you'll find the pilots constantly moving the stick in with very small precise and smooth movements.. copy them and you'll have a huge smile you'll never get rid of. I guarantee it..
Pam

Matt Wynn
December 28th, 2010, 06:39
Pam, you're making me want to dig out the Sukhoi flight models we were working on as a team.... that was getting real close.... a certain someone kept being asked to 'Try to break it', needless to say we got the thing Backflipping, Cobra-ing... just wish FS allowed for Negative speed values so you could tailslide properly, and don't ask but i kinda got her into an inverted flat spin...

Might have to get this Flanker though, me and the aircraft seem to communicate on the same level... Right Pam? :icon_lol:

fox18delta
December 28th, 2010, 08:09
Great clip here to check out sight lines from the back seat of a '27.
at 2:00 for example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9By6bPn3DM

I think whats troubling people with regards to the wing, is that there is nothing there at all...a wing-tip view, during certain flight parameters, while maneuvering for example, would be nice, like was added with the freeware Super Etendard. First version had no over the shoulder wing-view, but a view of the wing tips, over the shoulder, was added with the first updated version...and its a very nice touch, and a plus for the simulation.

These are all great products and the folks who produce them are are doing wonderful work for us !

Thank you

warchild
December 28th, 2010, 10:58
Pam, you're making me want to dig out the Sukhoi flight models we were working on as a team.... that was getting real close.... a certain someone kept being asked to 'Try to break it', needless to say we got the thing Backflipping, Cobra-ing... just wish FS allowed for Negative speed values so you could tailslide properly, and don't ask but i kinda got her into an inverted flat spin...

Might have to get this Flanker though, me and the aircraft seem to communicate on the same level... Right Pam? :icon_lol:

Smoothie.. I think you were away taking care of business when i first posted this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd2weQFRBYw . When i first saw the video of the SU-27 and saw tht it was flying just like ours ( and better ) I was a little butt hurt because someone else had gotten there first. But i'm really proud of what i can see in their video. They did an outstanding job of it and its one of the planes on my must have list.. From everything i can see, johnC nailed it ( although i think ours may be a wee bit tricker because of the canard ), and the fact that they were able to do it and get a product out that introduces people to the idea of extreme maneuverability is totally delightful.

Matt Wynn
December 28th, 2010, 11:26
yeah couldn't agree more there, the canards on the -33/-35/-37 generate just enough lift to maintain manouvres a short while longer... as for me.... i'm gonna go for a date.... with a Sukhoi :icon_lol:

why do i love Sukhoi Flankers? Simple!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JjNj3TWO_Q0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JjNj3TWO_Q0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

after watching that Pam, i think we got her pretty darned close, what say we get the old girl back fired up and in my hands, i might be nice enough to record a demo ;) and now onto watching the legend that is Yevgeny Frolov throwing it around...

warchild
December 28th, 2010, 11:46
great video.. but this thread isnt about our su-37. We need to keep it about their SU-27. They deserve it. they did a fantastic job.. ( chuckles, but yeah.. we're pretty darned close :) )

Matt Wynn
December 28th, 2010, 12:55
yup i decided to take the plunge.... will report shortly....

tommieboy
December 28th, 2010, 18:26
I always preferred the cleaner lines of the original SU-27's vs the later versions with the canards. It's nice to see the newest version, the SU-35BM, return to the cleaner lines of the original Su-27.

Tommy

warchild
December 28th, 2010, 20:02
I gotta admit myself that the clean lines are beautiful to look at.. but the power of the duck is hard to let go.. I'm not talking about your supplemental canards that are there to add stability, but active canards that work in conjunction with the elevators. yummmmmmmmmmm....

Matt Wynn
December 28th, 2010, 20:12
I gotta admit myself that the clean lines are beautiful to look at.. but the power of the duck is hard to let go.. I'm not talking about your supplemental canards that are there to add stability, but active canards that work in conjunction with the elevators. yummmmmmmmmmm....

mmmmmmm...... active flight control surfaces..... Pam, slap me please i'm having a relapse... :monkies: