PDA

View Full Version : Antivirus software

Rezabrya
December 3rd, 2010, 18:17
I am looking for a free antivirus program to install on my sister's computer. She usually just surfs the web and downloads song from itunes. I have thought about AVG free and Microsoft security essentials. What do you guys prefer?

TARPSBird
December 3rd, 2010, 18:21
I've used AVG Free for years and it has worked fine for me.

CADFather
December 3rd, 2010, 19:57
+1 on the AVG

Gdavis101
December 3rd, 2010, 22:23
I have always used AVG Free and it has been reliable.. Another good one is Avast Free.

kilo delta
December 4th, 2010, 02:10
Microsoft Security Essentials. ;)

stansdds
December 4th, 2010, 03:40
I've used AVG and Avast!, still using Avast!.

Bjoern
December 4th, 2010, 05:51
Antivir all the way.

txnetcop
December 4th, 2010, 06:55
Have used and tested all freeware anti-virus software at TechCorp. The three top are AVG, Microsoft Security Essentials and Antivir. Microsoft is starting to edge out the others in features. I am sure that one day it will not be free.
Ted

JoeW
December 4th, 2010, 07:01
I just uninstalled a registered version of AVG 2011. I installed MS Essentials in it's place.
I have fewer problems already ..........

mmann
December 4th, 2010, 07:06
I used to use AVG but after having problems with it I installed Avira AntiVir and it is definitely a better program!! I also recommend the free Comodo firewall over ZoneAlarm.

Regards, Mike Mann

Bjoern
December 5th, 2010, 09:12
Microsoft is starting to edge out the others in features. I am sure that one day it will not be free.

Sure about that?

Throwing a free antivirus software out is way cheaper than dealing with 320934589345 support requests a day from users that got their OSes fcked up by viruses.

I for myself would refuse to buy AV protection if it wasn't for the freebies.

txnetcop
December 5th, 2010, 09:51
Sure about that?

Throwing a free antivirus software out is way cheaper than dealing with 320934589345 support requests a day from users that got their OSes fcked up by viruses.

I for myself would refuse to buy AV protection if it wasn't for the freebies.

Now think about it a minute when Microsoft ever done anything for free for any length of time!

allcott
December 5th, 2010, 10:06
I've used AVG and Avast!, still using Avast!.

+1 What he said. :applause:

Moses03
December 5th, 2010, 10:17
AVG free let several viruses through last year that destroyed my C drive and had to reformat. Would never trust it again. Ponied up and went with Panda and have not had any trouble since.

Bjoern
December 5th, 2010, 14:47
Now think about it a minute when Microsoft ever done anything for free for any length of time!

My Desktop. My Laptop. Windows 7 Pro x86 and x64. For zero Euros.

And I still have the german language versions as well as Vista, Server '08 and XP available for free.

Francois
December 5th, 2010, 22:44
I am looking for a free antivirus program to install on my sister's computer. She usually just surfs the web and downloads song from itunes. I have thought about AVG free and Microsoft security essentials. What do you guys prefer?

I have been using Avast! for many years. Free for personal use, non-intrusive (unlike some of the major players) and daily updates. VERY good !

txnetcop
December 6th, 2010, 04:53
My Desktop. My Laptop. Windows 7 Pro x86 and x64. For zero Euros.

And I still have the german language versions as well as Vista, Server '08 and XP available for free.

Well tell ya what Amigo you won't get it free in the U.S.!

Bjoern
December 6th, 2010, 09:43
Well tell ya what Amigo you won't get it free in the U.S.!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MSDNAA

Sounds pretty international to me...

jmig
December 6th, 2010, 16:51
It is better to be helpful than right!

gigabyte
December 6th, 2010, 18:08
This debate comes up every couple of months, and the truth of the matter is there is NO best of breed when it comes to AV and Anti Malware software. I have tried a vast (no pun intended) number of different versions over the years and I really have not found any truly terrible or teriffic apps in the freeware offerings. I have had a couple of subscriptions and my only complaint with those is the headroom they use and they are often quite complex to get set up to operate efficently.

My choice(s) are AVG for my XP systems, and MS Security Essentials for my Win7 and Vista systems - yes I have several systems 8 in total. Both are free versions and all indications they will continue to remain free for personal use.

Ted to your point about MS not giving anything away, I would never second guess what any company will do going forward, but the older MS Defender was always free and Security Essentials seems to be a further evolution of that product. The other simple fact is most of the development for Security Essentials is generated when they are working on Security patches etc. and it is in their best interest to offer a reasonable solution to their OS users - just sayin...

txnetcop
December 6th, 2010, 19:50
This debate comes up every couple of months, and the truth of the matter is there is NO best of breed when it comes to AV and Anti Malware software. I have tried a vast (no pun intended) number of different versions over the years and I really have not found any truly terrible or teriffic apps in the freeware offerings. I have had a couple of subscriptions and my only complaint with those is the headroom they use and they are often quite complex to get set up to operate efficently.

My choice(s) are AVG for my XP systems, and MS Security Essentials for my Win7 and Vista systems - yes I have several systems 8 in total. Both are free versions and all indications they will continue to remain free for personal use.

Ted to your point about MS not giving anything away, I would never second guess what any company will do going forward, but the older MS Defender was always free and Security Essentials seems to be a further evolution of that product. The other simple fact is most of the development for Security Essentials is generated when they are working on Security patches etc. and it is in their best interest to offer a reasonable solution to their OS users - just sayin...

I agree it would be in their best interest. It was only a guess not an educated guess as no one knows what Microsoft will do when they finally get a package that is in demand. I use their Security Essentials.