PDA

View Full Version : Butter "Scotch" Eggnog

Cloud9Gal
December 3rd, 2010, 17:38
For the life of me, I can't bring myself to like eggnog. As much as I would love to love eggnog, there's just something about the taste of it that make my tastebuds go "Yuck!".

With that said, however, I find myself wanting to try this recipe for our upcoming Christmas Eve Dinner.

Doesn't "ButterScotch Eggnog" sound good?

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2010/12/08/dining/08apperex/08apperex-articleInline.jpg

12 large eggs, separated
1 cup dark brown sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus pinch
2 cups whole milk
1 cup smoky Scotch whisky
1/2 cup brandy
2 cups heavy cream
4 tablespoons granulated sugar
Grated nutmeg.

1. In a large bowl, combine the yolks, brown sugar, vanilla and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Using an electric mixer beat on medium-high speed until thick and dark golden, about 3 minutes. Reduce the speed to low and slowly drizzle in the milk, Scotch and brandy. Transfer to the freezer to chill while preparing the rest of the eggnog. (Or refrigerate for at least 2 hours before completing.)
2. In a medium bowl, whip the cream on medium-high speed until soft peaks form. Set aside. In another medium bowl, using clean beaters, whip the egg whites and pinch of salt on medium-high speed, adding the sugar by tablespoons until soft peaks form.
3. When ready to serve, pour the yolk mixture into a large punchbowl. Fold in a small amount of whipped cream to lighten it, then fold in the remaining cream. Fold in the egg whites. Generously dust the top with nutmeg; serve immediately.
Yield: 12 servings.

Willy
December 3rd, 2010, 18:38
I do love eggnog, but I'm the only one here who does. Everyone else seems to go for boiled custard which I don't find tasty at all.

jmig
December 3rd, 2010, 18:42
I am an eggnog fan too. I think of it as liquid ice cream. That sounds delicious C9Gal. Thanks for the heads up. I may have to try it.

Stratobat
December 3rd, 2010, 18:53
Hey C9G,

Doesn't "ButterScotch Eggnog" sound good?

It does sound interesting :)

I've never tried eggnog but will you still be able to taste it after all the extra sugar, milk, cream and alcohol has been added?

Regards,
Stratobat

Cloud9Gal
December 3rd, 2010, 18:58
Hey C9G,

It does sound interesting :)

I've never tried eggnog but will you still be able to taste it after all the extra sugar, milk, cream and alcohol has been added?

Regards,
Stratobat

That's probably why it sounds good to me! LOL! I can't stomach traditional eggnog.

CG_1976
December 3rd, 2010, 19:04
Oh this sounds very tasty. But I cant make it, we have a brandy shortage up here and when we do have it, it'll cost me a arm and leg at the Co-op lol. Guess i'll have to bootleg some in from Alaska lol. Thanks for the recipe Cloud9:salute:

CADFather
December 3rd, 2010, 19:55
That sounds like it would be great to try, it sure beats what I was thinking of.

Recipe for CADNog:
Drive to town to get half gallon of store brand egg nogg
Stop at liquor store and get a bottle of DeKuyper ButterShots Schnapps
Arrive home
Mix ButterShots and Eggnog in large glass
Sit on couch, prop up feet on coffee table
Consume the entire glass of CADNog.
Pass out from the sugar coma. (I forgot to mention I'm diabetic, oops)

If you haven't ever tried the ButterShots, try it. I'm not a drinker by any stretch of the imagination, but I really enjoy the candy flavors or rather I used too.

Joe

magoo
December 3rd, 2010, 20:51
Mmmm....I love eggnog with Kaluha init.

Bushpounder
December 4th, 2010, 03:44
I'm a cheap date. Give me eggnog off the shelf and a bottle of Bacardi Dark, and I am a happy camper! :) I'll get happier as the container and bottle get emptier!! :applause:

Don

brad kaste
December 4th, 2010, 05:56
....I prefer mine scrambled.......:wiggle:

Meshman
December 4th, 2010, 07:17
Mmmm....I love eggnog with Kaluha init.

A man who's tastes run similar to mine!

Of course I've discovered this little thing called "lactose intolerance", so dairy products are now a no-no. Yes, I've tried the pills.

Think I'll put some lights on my Kahlua coffee cups and recall pleasant Christmas memories of old.

Daveroo
December 4th, 2010, 09:51
eggnog is basically icecream custard before its churned and frozen,you can bake it too if you add floour....but it give me the......well nvm...i may try this though and suffer the coniceanses anyway............

Cloud9Gal
December 5th, 2010, 06:30
That sounds like it would be great to try, it sure beats what I was thinking of.

Recipe for CADNog:
Drive to town to get half gallon of store brand egg nogg
Stop at liquor store and get a bottle of DeKuyper ButterShots Schnapps
Arrive home
Mix ButterShots and Eggnog in large glass
Sit on couch, prop up feet on coffee table
Consume the entire glass of CADNog.
Pass out from the sugar coma. (I forgot to mention I'm diabetic, oops)

If you haven't ever tried the ButterShots, try it. I'm not a drinker by any stretch of the imagination, but I really enjoy the candy flavors or rather I used too.

Joe

Sounds like a good recipe and plan Joe!

I love "ButterScotch Schnapps" :)