PDA

View Full Version : ********************* A few new rules ****************

hey_moe
December 3rd, 2010, 15:02
A good starter >>> Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right! The FSX area has grown to a point that some of the older members need to give the new members a break when they ask a question or advice.This thing of seeing who can wee wee the furthest really needs to come to a stop along with the bashing. I would like to ask you guys if a member is pressing your button please just send a message in a polite way and try to work it out between the two of you. This isn't the area to air your dirty laundry.I don't like to close a thread but I can tell you if there is member bashing..... you already know whats going to happen. We are suppose to be grown adults here and we all make mistakes including me. But posting something just to get back at that member or to make sure you have the last word sometimes needs to stop. Is it really worth it....plus other members really get to see your true colors. Remember why you are here...we are a large family so lets try and have some fun and show a little respect to one another :wavey:...Mike

Warrant
December 3rd, 2010, 15:30
Well said, Mike :salute:

stansdds
December 3rd, 2010, 16:35
I try to be helpful, not hurtful as hurtful serves no useful purpose.

Oh, can I still spit on the floor in here or do I have to step outside or use a spittoon? :kilroy:

Stratobat
December 3rd, 2010, 18:29
Hey Moe,

The FSX area has grown to a point that some of the older members need to give the new members a break when they ask a question or advice.This thing of seeing who can wee wee the furthest really needs to come to a stop along with the bashing.

I sometimes wonder how many members here take a person's join date, location, age and number of posts as listed on the left hand side of the screen into account when structuring their replies.

Regards,
Stratobat

Rattler
December 3rd, 2010, 18:56
And for the record, I can Wee Wee rather far.....LOL!!!
:ernae::jump::wiggle::salute::kilroy:

robcap
December 3rd, 2010, 23:18
I agree, well said.
Sometimes threads get hijacked, and turn into something personal. It makes me feel uncomfortable.

Best, Rob

foreigndevil
December 4th, 2010, 03:39
I agree completely!

hey_moe
December 4th, 2010, 03:48
One of this biggest things we have noticed is this tit for tat and a lets stir the pot to see who else I can piss off.We have a very tight group in here.For some reason we have a select few that think for some reason all our staff wants to do is close threads and ban members. It is the last thing any of us want to do.Before any member is ban, it goes in front of the rest of the staff and a decision is made, plus that person is sent a message more than once to stop what he or she is doing....I mean after so many warnings what else are we suppose to do.There really is no right or wrong in here.

AusWilko
December 4th, 2010, 03:51
As someone who went through a self imposed exile for quite a while because I got hassley with one of the true gentleman of this hobby Bill Lionheart and to this day I still remain ashamed of hasseling him but medical drugs were clouding my judgement and I have to remember and live with it.

Please remain positive and helpful. it is people on the other end you are talking to.

Roadburner440
December 4th, 2010, 04:10
I can agree with this. Hopefully I haven't caused problems (never recieved a PM so). I mean I try to get my opinion across, but do not try to prove other people wrong. They may very well be right, and I usually state that before or after I am done speaking. For all I know I may just be stupid, and when I get to the other side the big guy will tell me that. :icon_lol: Me personally I am fine with people of differing opinions. They just may not be fine with me. Which is all good. I usually get cursed out on a daily basis so all that doesn't hurt my feelings. :ernae: I really enjoy the environment here and try to help as best as I can, and get help for myself too.

peter12213
December 4th, 2010, 04:12
Well said Mike I also agree! :salute:

Lateral-G
December 4th, 2010, 06:25
I agree......but am I missing something?

What recent events have led to this announcement? I have to admit I haven't seen any un-civil behavior between members.

Stratobat
December 4th, 2010, 11:11
Hey Lateral-G,

What recent events have led to this announcement? I have to admit I haven't seen any un-civil behavior between members.

I think it's more an issue of certain members taking it upon themselves to debate a point until the other party concedes rather than anything else.

Regards,
Stratobat

warchild
December 4th, 2010, 11:35
I try to be helpful and constructive in the things i say, without being offensive. But sometimes, well, its really frustrating.. Sometimes it seems the only thing you can do is lay down and let others walk on you. Of i simply say that i disagree, I'm bound to get asked why i disagree, and then, i run the risk of pissing someone off or triggering an episode of puerile petulance that none of us want.. It can be really difficult choosing your words, especially if like me, you have absolutely no social skills. Dont get me wrong. I love everyone here, or i wouldnt be here, and i have a great deal of respect for the majority of people here, but i wont be a rug. It's that last part, not being a rug, thats very difficult to do without upsetting someone, and i dont think i'm the only person here that has that communication issue..

Francois
December 4th, 2010, 11:47
Some of the old members could also do a good deed by giving some other old members a break and show how things were in the 'good old days' of the hobby and community. Today's discussions often are a far cry from it, on many forums. So much so that I am more and more 'getting out' and just reading and responding on my own forums. I know there are quite a few others 'with me'.

Some guys are really trying to take the fun out of not only 'the hobby' but also 'catering for it', not to mention the fun in one's private life.

:salute:

glennc
December 4th, 2010, 12:49
I like to live by a philosophy that I think started with Mark Twain: I'd rather keep my mouth shut and have people think me a fool than open and remove all doubt.

Glenn

Desert Rat
December 4th, 2010, 13:13
As someone who went through a self imposed exile for quite a while because I got hassley with one of the true gentleman of this hobby Bill Lionheart and to this day I still remain ashamed of hasseling him but medical drugs were clouding my judgement and I have to remember and live with it.

Please remain positive and helpful. it is people on the other end you are talking to.

Takes a bigger man to stand up and say these kind of things, and in this case twice more-so. Admitting it was a highly respected developer and also that you were under the influence of medication. To you, sir, I 'dof my cap. :ernae:

I have no beef with those that lose the rag and then admit (at least part of) the blame whence the dust has settled. We are passionate human beings, this sometimes leads us in the wrong direction, but I respect any person that can then stand up and say 'I may have been wrong'.

We are men (mostly) and subject to a far more powerful and potentially dangerous hormone than the fairer sex. It does make us volatile, especially when the other major male hormone is taken into account, Beerus Pisstacus. To us I raise a glass, to the gentleman in their marvellous flying machines. We go up, we go down.

Also thank you to the many mods who do their darnedest to keep us in control, and the devs who survive the hornets nest of us consumers.

my up-most respect,
Jamie

Stratobat
December 4th, 2010, 13:15
Hey Pam,

It can be really difficult choosing your words, especially if like me, you have absolutely no social skills. Dont get me wrong. I love everyone here, or i wouldnt be here, and i have a great deal of respect for the majority of people here, but i wont be a rug.

I understand and agree with you and I'm certainly not insinuating that people should reduce themselves to rugs to accomodate other individuals but what I am saying is that people should consider the nature of the discussion and what they have to contribute to it before they hit the send button.

As Francois said, there are some individuals who are really trying to spoil it for everybody else.

Regards,
Stratobat

hey_moe
December 4th, 2010, 15:31
We have a couple of them going on right now. Most of the staff have to bite there tongue sometimes and just move on...lol Some in here think if they say to much they might get banned. This ain't so.The banning of a member is the last resort and something we really don't want to do. I just want you guys to understand where we are coming from.We are very lucky to a such a huge amount of talent in here and we are also lucky to have the kind of knowledge in here too. Respecting one another feelings is where it all starts. Sometime we can post something and think it won't be taken the wrong way. I feel if you post something and feel it will be taken the wrong way...it most likely will....lol
I agree......but am I missing something?

Marvin Carter
December 4th, 2010, 16:50
I have been lurking in the shadows of this forum for longer than i would like to admit, back when Tekworm was running it and it was a Combat sim 1 site, with just a few down loads and not that many people here. These thinks usual come in phases, but it seems that it comes more often now. May be the times or just trolls. I have gotten some really rude e-mail from some people in here for my scenery's I do, telling what crap they are. it's just water off my back, because I know they are just trying to be mean. I do them for my self, but share them with who every wants them. I staite if you don't like it just delete it, its that simple. But they have to E-mail me and slam it. They know who there are I just let it ride. I just don't share any more. Its one thing to bad mouth some one on the Internet a thousand miles away, but look a man in the eye face to face and say the things they do is a different story. I know where I am come from you do that and you will get you ass handed to you. This is absolutely the best place to come for help, info, and just great people. I would just be lost with out this place. So in the word of Rodney King " Can't we just get along". he he!!!
Sorry just my 2 cents.

thisizma
December 4th, 2010, 18:25
O.K. ... I'm a Lurker.

thisizma
December 4th, 2010, 18:42
O.K. ... I'm a Lurker.

I'm not experienced to writing in forums.
I learn a lot from reading them though.
I suppose that's a reason why I'm just a Lurker[reasons stated above].

Sometimes though when something jumps out at me and I feel I have to respond, and I might be wrong..., It's an " In Your Face " reply.

I don't have a lot to contribute to these forums, but I learn a lot from you folks.

guzler
December 4th, 2010, 23:46
Well said. As a member of Britmodeller within the modelling community, it does surprise me how much arguing goes on within the flightsim community between people all with common interests.

Thanks for posting this reminder Moe, here's to a happy SOH Christmas to us all :ernae:

michael davies
December 5th, 2010, 05:47
We have a couple of them going on right now.

That'll be me then, its always me LOL, I do try so very hard not to upset people, honest!.

In all seriousness I do find myself feeling more and more like 'Warchild' feels, a rug for people to wipe their feet on, if a developer speaks out or raises issues its called dirty laundry, if a consumer gives a developer a hard time its fair game in the name of consumer rights.

After a while you realise that what ever you do or say, illicits the same repsonse. Of course its easy to blame 'every' one else, reality might be that you, yourself really are the problem, self reflective prognosis is a very bitter pill to take, and as a race we tend to do it very poorly if at all. eventually you begin to not care, and that is the signal to get out, when you stop caring, its time to leave.

shamus
December 5th, 2010, 17:34
I have been involved in Flightsim since MSFS98, and I still learn new things to this day. The "older guys" should give the younger and new flyers answers to their questions, past the torch so to speak. With the fast rate of technology turnover in computers and hardware it's hard to keep up sometimes. This site has a wealth of talented people that keep Flightsim interesting for the next generation to enjoy, and perhaps develop newer codes , addons, for the future, because someone helped out with a question, and it sparked a lifelong interest to be involved.
So to all of you that have helped!, Keep it up. We all need each other.:salute:

thisizma
December 5th, 2010, 17:53
I have been involved in Flightsim since MSFS98, and I still learn new things to this day. The "older guys" should give the younger and new flyers answers to their questions, past the torch so to speak. With the fast rate of technology turnover in computers and hardware it's hard to keep up sometimes. This site has a wealth of talented people that keep Flightsim interesting for the next generation to enjoy, and perhaps develop newer codes , addons, for the future, because someone helped out with a question, and it sparked a lifelong interest to be involved.
So to all of you that have helped!, Keep it up. We all need each other.:salute:
Awesome ! Well said.

Lateral-G
December 6th, 2010, 06:18
I have gotten some really rude e-mail from some people in here for my scenery's I do, telling what crap they are. it's just water off my back, because I know they are just trying to be mean. I do them for my self, but share them with who every wants them. I staite if you don't like it just delete it, its that simple. But they have to E-mail me and slam it. They know who there are I just let it ride. I just don't share any more. Its one thing to bad mouth some one on the Internet a thousand miles away, but look a man in the eye face to face and say the things they do is a different story. I know where I am come from you do that and you will get you ass handed to you. This is absolutely the best place to come for help, info, and just great people. I would just be lost with out this place. So in the word of Rodney King " Can't we just get along". he he!!!
Sorry just my 2 cents.

Some people just feel the need to be mean.

My scale models have been on quite a few sites and every once in a while I get an email from someone telling me I did this or that wrong or my colors are incorrect or some other nitpicking. I just slough it off and don't worry. Too many folks are unhappy with their own lives that unless they aren't tearing someone else down they can't fell good about themselves.

-G-

Bone
December 6th, 2010, 06:54
Too many folks are unhappy with their own lives that unless they aren't tearing someone else down they can't fell good about themselves.

-G-

*DING_DING_DING* and we have a winner.....

Stratobat
December 6th, 2010, 07:53
Hey Lateral-G,

My scale models have been on quite a few sites

What's the chances of getting some links or pictures?

Regards,
Stratobat

Lateral-G
December 6th, 2010, 12:07
Hey Lateral-G,

What's the chances of getting some links or pictures?

Regards,
Stratobat

You can see some here (http://s76.photobucket.com/albums/j8/jbrundt/)...

I had a web page but web hosting prices were getting to be too much. I'm still looking for a free webhosting site. Until then photobucket will have to do.

Also if you do a search on modeling websites like HyperScale, ARC, Large Scale Planes and Modeling Madness you can see some of the build articles I've done.

guzler
December 6th, 2010, 15:24
Some people just feel the need to be mean.

My scale models have been on quite a few sites and every once in a while I get an email from someone telling me I did this or that wrong or my colors are incorrect or some other nitpicking. I just slough it off and don't worry. Too many folks are unhappy with their own lives that unless they aren't tearing someone else down they can't fell good about themselves.

-G-

Really liked your models. Have a trip over to Britmodeller, a very friendly forum. Here's a link to a Lanc I recently finished...

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=57452&hl=revell+lanc

It's about as good as I get for 3d modelling, wouldn't know where to start making one on a computer, although would like to learn one day.