PDA

View Full Version : How do you like my little Nissen hut ?

Francois
December 2nd, 2010, 22:42
Picked up the tools again, and crafted this yesterday afternoon.
It is a little hut that can be found in the real world on the Castle AFB Museum in Merced, CA. :salute:

jeansy
December 2nd, 2010, 23:12
wow :applause:

OBIO
December 2nd, 2010, 23:14
Nice little hut there Francois. I want one of those in real life....not a huge one...just large enough to set up as my own personal WW2 museum and sim hangar.

OBIO

Mathias
December 2nd, 2010, 23:30
Very nice!
After the war Nissen huts where the home of hundreds of thousands of German refugees from the east in the western allied zones.

Bushpounder
December 3rd, 2010, 02:45
What designer did you use on that? That looks very nice. I used one that Tom Fica made, but it can't be used in FSX. :(

Don

Anneke
December 3rd, 2010, 03:02
Picked up the tools again, and crafted this yesterday afternoon.
:salute:

Hehe pic is called emma2013.png. Is that that the prospected release date of EmmaX :a1089:

roger-wilco-66
December 3rd, 2010, 03:19
looks good, nice texturing!

:applause:

Aviator32
December 3rd, 2010, 03:39
Looks cosy! Be careful you don't end up living in something very similar after you have sunk your life savings into developing 'Emma 2013' :icon_lol:

dexthom
December 3rd, 2010, 05:01
Looks cosy! Be careful you don't end up living in something very similar after you have sunk your life savings into developing 'Emma 2013' :icon_lol:

Must be one of them orbiks fan boys http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon23.gif

vora
December 3rd, 2010, 05:07
Must be one of them orbiks fan boys http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon23.gif

I think Reuben is refering to Francois' decision to make Emma X freeware... high expectations, time-consuming... I call it bold, indeed. :)

Carry on, Francois!

robcap
December 3rd, 2010, 06:05
Looking nice, Francois, go get 'm!
Will it be situated in T Fjords? I saw the logo on the airplane on your site:kilroy:

Aviator32
December 3rd, 2010, 06:26
I think Reuben is refering to Francois' decision to make Emma X freeware... high expectations, time-consuming... I call it bold, indeed. :)

Carry on, Francois!

I call it sensible. A decision doubtless made in the cold realisation of the true level of interest in the project as documented in various dead threads over the past few weeks.
As far as I can tell there are maybe four hard core devotees still breathing. Usually they stay nestled within the dusty compound of the EF Forum where they grumble on and on without realising that the sceneries they used to love (Emma was only one of them) still exist only they have been improved beyond belief. I wonder if any of them have noticed the new Orcas for example. For many Emma'ites it used to be second on the list and a close second at that. Emma and Orcas. I bet one or two of them have even bought it but they probably wouldn't admit it and certainly not praise it in public, afraid of betraying the old Emma spirit by supporting the 'enemy'. When and why did 'Orbiks' become the enemy anyway?

I still like the hut.

vora
December 3rd, 2010, 08:10
The question here is: what made Emma Emma?

The beginning of FS9 were bleak times for GA guys, only tubeliner airports were available in high quality (e.g. German Airports).

Then came Richard Goldstein's Georender series. High quality airfields in beautiful surroundings. Ranger Creek, Darrington, Diamond Point (my personal favourite) and culminating in Emma Field.
Emma was Tops of the Pops of FS9 GA airfields. Super scenery, a lot of innovative stuff, beautiful area. IMHO that was why a GA community started there (which was also a first).

Now, in FSX, what made Emma shine is reduced to "standard" (albeit a very high one) by OrbX which offers over a dozen airfields that not only match but often outmatch good'ole Emma.
The same thing happened with regional sceneries: Misty and Tongass were jewels in FS9, now TongassX is the northern most "peripherie" of a giant hi-fi region (made by the same authors).

"Times they are a changin'..."

That is why I think Francois' move is "bold". He will put a lot of his time in this project and does not have a guaranty that an "Emma community" will rise (which I believe to be Francois' main motivation).

PS.: I'm just now downloading prepaid NRM. "Enemy"? What "Enemy"? :icon_lol:

Aviator32
December 3rd, 2010, 09:16
The question here is: what made Emma Emma?

The beginning of FS9 were bleak times for GA guys, only tubeliner airports were available in high quality (e.g. German Airports).

Then came Richard Goldstein's Georender series. High quality airfields in beautiful surroundings. Ranger Creek, Darrington, Diamond Point (my personal favourite) and culminating in Emma Field.
Emma was Tops of the Pops of FS9 GA airfields. Super scenery, a lot of innovative stuff, beautiful area. IMHO that was why a GA community started there (which was also a first).

Now, in FSX, what made Emma shine is reduced to "standard" (albeit a very high one) by OrbX which offers over a dozen airfields that not only match but often outmatch good'ole Emma.
The same thing happened with regional sceneries: Misty and Tongass were jewels in FS9, now TongassX is the northern most "peripherie" of a giant hi-fi region (made by the same authors).

"Times they are a changin'..."

That is why I think Francois' move is "bold". He will put a lot of his time in this project and does not have a guaranty that an "Emma community" will rise (which I believe to be Francois' main motivation).

PS.: I'm just now downloading prepaid NRM. "Enemy"? What "Enemy"? :icon_lol:

Yes, I liked Diamond Point best too. The flight from there to Forks was a favourite. Be great if Orbx did that one. I'm desperate to get PF and Orcas but they might have to be Christmas presents. I was never an Emma fan particularly, I just used to bounce there sometimes on the way from Diamond Point to Bremerton which was another great add-on but FS itself has never really been a 'community' experience for me.
Hope you enjoy NRM. That might have to be a Birthday present!

Navy Chief
December 3rd, 2010, 13:17
I really like the hut. Wish I had one on my property.

Z-AZ1USN
December 4th, 2010, 06:55
I've been in these (Quonset hut) as a former Navy brat living on Okinawa back in the 50's.
They were offered as Navy Housing back then. Lots of room in them.

Info: http://www.quonsethuts.org/huts/index.htm

:salute:

Francois
December 4th, 2010, 07:20
What designer did you use on that? That looks very nice. I used one that Tom Fica made, but it can't be used in FSX. :(

Don

Designer ?

Francois
December 4th, 2010, 07:21
Hehe pic is called emma2013.png. Is that that the prospected release date of EmmaX :a1089:

:icon_lol: