PDA

View Full Version : Question abour FSX install into W-7 X64

papab
December 2nd, 2010, 17:02
I upgraded my computer I now have W-7 X64- 8gig
When I installed FSX it placed it on the hard drive under the folder(programsX86 folder)-I know X86 is 32 bit....

Should I have sent it to the regular Program folder in W-7?
Am I getting full benefit of W-7 X64 by having FSX in the "programsX86" folder?

Everytime I load FSX the screen blinks out for one second and the same when I close it

Thanks for any responses

Rick

Butcherbird17
December 2nd, 2010, 17:25
The (x86) folder is the default folder for any 32 bit program/game, and fsx is a 32 bit game/sim.
As for the blinking when you start/end, that is fsx turning off/on aero, and is normal.

Joe

PRB
December 2nd, 2010, 17:36
Heck, everything I've ever installed wanted to go into the "x86" folder, both in Vista and now Windows 7. I've read a lot of opinions stating don't install stuff to the x86 folder, but I don't what the problem is. Then again, most stuff I ever installed were 32 bit programs... Hmm, learned something new!

My current install is on my D drive, but that's because I don't install anything I want to actually have any control over to anywhere on the c drive, x86 folder or otherwise. I guess this is a carry over from Vista, which didn't let anyone do anything to the C drive. And it wasn't UAC, which I turned off. Vista still wouldn't let me copy files to the c drive, even administrators. It's not so bad with Windows 7 though.

papab
December 2nd, 2010, 18:08
Thanks for your answers!!!
Love this forum!!!

Rick Brown

Butcherbird17
December 2nd, 2010, 18:23
I have a gaming drive (500gb) and for my main drive (250gb) which is partitioned into 2 (C and D)
and install all apps onto the D drive. This way i can keep UAC turned on, i got used to UAC when i was running the first public release of vista (RC build). Even if you do install into default location you can still gain control of files and folders by going into properties/security and changing the permissions of "Users (YOUR NAME-PC\Users)" to Allow. Its one of the first things i do on a fresh install of winders7.

Joe