PDA

View Full Version : Freeware E-2C Hawkeye... incorrect speed capabilities?

airattackimages
November 30th, 2010, 12:46
I've begun sprucing up the only freeware E-2C Hawkeye available for FS9/FSX. It's the only thing we have available other than the Abacus offering. For the most part, I like it and it's definitely capable of being a great plane. I had a friend make a paint for it which came out great, regardless of the fact that the textures were sectioned into many many pieces (some of which would stretch) and it was a real pain for him to do. I increased it's roll rate to a more realistic value since it's roll rate was excruciatingly slow and not correct to the E-2's actual roll rate.

Now onto the FDE question... can I change the aircraft's speed capabilty without ruining it's performance otherwise? (meaning I don't want it to accelerate rapidly as a side effect). Flat out at sea level you can only muster 230 KIAS. At 10,000 you can barely muster 225 KIAS. From the specs I've located online, the Hawkeye should have a cruise speed of 260 to 270 KIAS, a maximum level speed of 338 KIAS and an absolute maximum speed (VNE?) of 375 KIAS.

Obviously the sim version is way off, considering it can't even reach the published cruise speed, let alone anything over 300 KIAS. Anyone able to give me some tips?

Z-AZ1USN
November 30th, 2010, 13:52
I wish you well on trying to revamp the E2. I'd be anxious
to launch it from the Reagan when it's done
:wavey:

fliger747
December 1st, 2010, 10:13
Remember the difference between true and indicated airspeed, particularly at altitude.

I suggest to get the AFSD utility from Herve Sors (free) which uses FSUPIC (free version) to read all sorts of sim data for flight test.

The .air file under the primary aerodynamics tab, under CD0 will have a number, probably around 40 or so. This number sets the form drag, which will be the most important at speed.

An editor for the .air file, such as AirEd or Aircraft Airfile Manager is helpful.

Cheers: T