PDA

View Full Version : Busy skies...

Bjoern
November 30th, 2010, 11:16
I've seen two A380s and an F-4 today while on smoke break at work.

The A380s were kind of low (short contrails), and headed in different directions (WNW and NE), but it was unmistakenly two of those whales (the planform view of an A380 is pretty unique). I could have sworn that the one going North East had a red tail and the other one was pretty white all around.

The mysterious thing is 'though, that FlightAware didn't show any scheduled A380 flights.

So I guess I've seen two brand new A380s on a test flight from Hamburg (where they receive their finishing touches). One for Quantas and one for Air France.

The Phantom was a sweet bonus. Quite low and rather slow with its unmistakable planform and smoky J79s. It went east, so it must've been one of JG 73's last remaining F-4Fs going home to Laage.

I almost fogot to mention the rather small two engined jet that was to bee seen as well...none of Lufthansa's RJs 'though.

This happened within five to ten minutes. Nice, eh?

kilo delta
November 30th, 2010, 14:25
I've seen two A380s and an F-4 today while on smoke break at work.

The A380s were kind of low (short contrails), and headed in different directions (WNW and NE), but it was unmistakenly two of those whales (the planform view of an A380 is pretty unique). I could have sworn that the one going North East had a red tail and the other one was pretty white all around.

The mysterious thing is 'though, that FlightAware didn't show any scheduled A380 flights.

So I guess I've seen two brand new A380s on a test flight from Hamburg (where they receive their finishing touches). One for Quantas and one for Air France.

The Phantom was a sweet bonus. Quite low and rather slow with its unmistakable planform and smoky J79s. It went east, so it must've been one of JG 73's last remaining F-4Fs going home to Laage.

I almost fogot to mention the rather small two engined jet that was to bee seen as well...none of Lufthansa's RJs 'though.

This happened within five to ten minutes. Nice, eh?

Nice?? But of course! Not too bothered about the 'Busses but I'd love to see an operational Phantom again :(

TARPSBird
November 30th, 2010, 21:11
I grew up next door to Glenview Naval Air Station, then lived on or near NAS's for most of my Navy career. Saw the whole cast of characters pass over my head, from 1953 until I retired in 1992. Still see the occasional E-2, C-2 or helo out of NAS Norfolk around my neighborhood, and the Hornets when I'm out by Oceana, but it's not like it used to be. I'd love to see a Phantom or two pass by the house with that classic J-79 smoke trail. :)

Bjoern
December 1st, 2010, 12:52
Not too bothered about the 'Busses

First time I've seen two of 'em live at once, so that makes it kind of special.

ILA '06 and '10 don't count since this was an airshow.

I'd love to see a Phantom or two pass by the house with that classic J-79 smoke trail. :)

I have to admit that the trail was kind of short. Updated J79s be damned!

kilo delta
December 1st, 2010, 14:14
First time I've seen two of 'em live at once, so that makes it kind of special.

ILA '06 and '10 don't count since this was an airshow.

I have to admit that the trail was kind of short. Updated J79s be damned!

I got to see two A380's recently at CDG, Air France and Singapore Airways. Nice AC...but compared to an F4...a bit meh!*

*though I'm ever so slightly biased :)