PDA

View Full Version : Bought a new video card today...

Roger
November 29th, 2010, 16:20
Decided to spend some of my hard earned today on a new video card to replace my GF8800GTX, hoping to spend less time tweaking and more time flying. It's too early to build a new pc; (that's reserved for the release of "Flight") so I decided to go for the Gainward Geforce GTX 460 2gb.

Well there's been a little tweaking but nothing too extreme. Result...feels like a new pc...money well spent and of course with a new FsX.cfg, courtesy of Jesus.

noddy
November 29th, 2010, 23:54
Good choice Roger, recently got mine and work they like a dream.

hey_moe
November 30th, 2010, 02:49
Ya just can't hide money :ernae:

BOOM
November 30th, 2010, 02:56
Fantastic!! I'd love to see some screen shots,I bet FSX really "POPS" now!!!!:jump:

Roger
November 30th, 2010, 04:38
Fantastic!! I'd love to see some screen shots,I bet FSX really "POPS" now!!!!:jump:

It doesn't mean I can have all my sliders to the right because the Q6600 processor can't get up to 3.6 gigahz and so the ram is still under the magic 1.6 gig. The real difference is that stutters, lock-ups and texture issues are largely in the past with the new card and Jesus Altuve's Configurator.

txnetcop
November 30th, 2010, 04:38
The 256 bit interface combined with the new re-engineered GPU on the GTX460 make for a very enjoyable experience! I wasn't too nutty over some of the issues with the early 470/480 cards but the new versions of those cards have made a big difference in them. The GTX580 is definite plus as well. It is everything that the GTX480 was supposed to be. Congrats on a great video card Roger!
Ted

noddy
November 30th, 2010, 04:41
Must admit I going from Vista 32 bit to Windows 7 64 bit, and that helps as well. Just ordered mu 8GB of Ram as well.

Roger
November 30th, 2010, 04:45
Must admit I going from Vista 32 bit to Windows 7 64 bit, and that helps as well. Just ordered mu 8GB of Ram as well.

That is the route I'll be going down in a year or two but are there any down-sides to going 64 bit?

noddy
November 30th, 2010, 04:48
None that I have seen so far, actually it was pretty smooth change over. Just a little work to get everything in the right place.

beana51
November 30th, 2010, 06:32
All I can say About Rogers Pictures...where they are posted I LOOK!..and marvel at when time ,expertise,up to date equipment is employed,FSX shows what it may be capable of!...Its a Mystery,the more FSX is tasked,the more it gives...and most puzzling factor,often with equpment not avaiable when FSX was concieved.Like the Magic Genie's lamp,the harder ya rub it ,the more your wishes come true!!..AMAZING!!....Thanks Roger..ya give those of us not to happy with FSX, hope. Thus making Simming a great experience with individual in put!!..Great stuff :salute:ALWAYS!!!!!...Vin!!

roger-wilco-66
November 30th, 2010, 07:25
Hey Roger,

I bought exactly the same gfx card yesterday (and I have the same processor q6600) !
Unfortunatly, my MoBo (Abit AW9D) doesn't like it. Seems like finally I have to get another mainboard.

Cheers,
Mark

Roger
November 30th, 2010, 09:30
Hey Roger,

I bought exactly the same gfx card yesterday (and I have the same processor q6600) !
Unfortunatly, my MoBo (Abit AW9D) doesn't like it. Seems like finally I have to get another mainboard.

Cheers,
Mark

Sorry to hear that Mark. What effect do you get and is your power supply up to the job?

Mr.Mugel
November 30th, 2010, 10:06
This rig would be happy about the 8800GTX... :D

Well, enjoy the new card!

Bjoern
November 30th, 2010, 10:25
It doesn't mean I can have all my sliders to the right because the Q6600 processor can't get up to 3.6 gigahz and so the ram is still under the magic 1.6 gig.

An X38 board like yours should actually get a Q6600 up to 3.6 GHz without issues. The 1600 MHz for the RAM should be possible with manually applied settings as well.

Have you tried raising the North Bridge voltage yet?

Be careful 'though. Judging from my X48 (aka X38+), they can get fairly warm in FSX with a slight overvolt.

txnetcop
November 30th, 2010, 10:52
Be careful 'though. Judging from my X48 (aka X38+), they can get fairly warm in FSX with a slight overvolt.

Yep that was a short-coming of the X38 that the X48 cured...however good luck finding an X48 board anymore.

robcap
November 30th, 2010, 10:58
is your power supply up to the job?Hi Roger, you got me all worked up to upgrade my vid card:wavey:, so, what power supply do I need?

Best, Rob

huub vink
November 30th, 2010, 11:31
Hi Roger, you got me all worked up to upgrade my vid card:wavey:, so, what power supply do I need?

Best, Rob

Rob,

That's difficult to say as I don't know your PC, depending on the number of hard disks and with all the modern fans etc. I would go for at least 700W. For my new PC I will have a Scythe Chouriki 2 850W. It will cost you around € 110,-. But it should be a very silent powerful power supply.

Cheers,
Huub

Roger
November 30th, 2010, 11:52
Yep Huub's right Rob; a minimum 700W is best as current transients can be very high dragging the volts down. Mine is 700W.

Roadburner440
November 30th, 2010, 12:50
Very good to hear your new video card is treating you well. Always is great when you can fly without having to worry about having to tweak everything.

roger-wilco-66
December 1st, 2010, 01:41
Sorry to hear that Mark. What effect do you get and is your power supply up to the job?

Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread, but maybe there's a quick answer.
The system hangs after the initial POST before changing to the second sreen with the IRQs / drives etc.
This seems to be a known issue, but I have no information on how this can be solved. A shame, because I was pleased with the Abit AW9D board up until now.

The PSU is a brand new Corsair CMPSU-VX550, which should be more than enough for the system. Without the GT460 card, no problems.

When I need to get a new mobo, any suggestions for a LGA775 board with good OC capabilities? Ted (txnetcop) ?

Cheers and TIA,
Mark

robcap
December 1st, 2010, 03:14
Thanks Huub and Roger,

missed your answer yesterday. I'll check what I can do to make some improvements.
I know my processor will remain the bottleneck, but this way i can improve my system in bits, nd go for the new MoBo and processor during the next year.

R.

Bjoern
December 1st, 2010, 12:51
I would go for at least 700W. For my new PC I will have a Scythe Chouriki 2 850W. It will cost you around € 110,-. But it should be a very silent powerful power supply.

Yep Huub's right Rob; a minimum 700W is best as current transients can be very high dragging the volts down. Mine is 700W.

It'd be wiser to invest in an 80+ (efficiency rating) PSU with 600W at best (anything more is for servers or SLI setups) than to go for a ridiculously high powered ineffective one.

Kind of like getting 150 hp out of a 5 l V8 versus 250 hp out of a turbocharged 2 l inline four...

When I need to get a new mobo, any suggestions for a LGA775 board with good OC capabilities?

Depeding on budget, go either for a P45 or X48 board. They come in DDR2 and DDR3 flavors.

If you have a quad core CPU, a P45 it is, as this chipset clocks better in the FSB department compared to the X48s.

Roger
December 1st, 2010, 13:11
It'd be wiser to invest in an 80+ (efficiency rating) PSU with 600W at best (anything more is for servers or SLI setups) than to go for a ridiculously high powered ineffective one.

Kind of like getting 150 hp out of a 5 l V8 versus 250 hp out of a turbocharged 2 l inline four...

Well Bjorn as it seems we're ignorant (compared to you) as to the relative efficiencies of the switched mode power supplies on the market, perhaps you could suggest a manufacturer and model number at a reasonable price that would handle high transient currents at a 600W rating?

Bjoern
December 2nd, 2010, 15:59
Well Bjorn as it seems we're ignorant (compared to you) as to the relative efficiencies of the switched mode power supplies on the market, perhaps you could suggest a manufacturer and model number at a reasonable price that would handle high transient currents at a 600W rating?

Well, I for one am very content with my Coolermaster RealPower M520. An excellent bang for the buck for my S775 rig and undoubtably just as well suited for non-SLI/CrossFire i5/7 systems.

http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=2685&category_id=23

txnetcop
December 3rd, 2010, 05:17
Well, I for one am very content with my Coolermaster RealPower M520. An excellent bang for the buck for my S775 rig and undoubtably just as well suited for non-SLI/CrossFire i5/7 systems.

http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=2685&category_id=23

Well actually all of our testing at TechCorp indicates that good power supplies only draw the wattage necessary to power the unit's demands so if you have a 700W unit and your unit only requires 400W the rest is simply reserve and nothing is wasted. Bjoern you are basing your assumption on what you have experienced rather than factual data. While I do agree it is better to be conservative on your power supply purchase using a configurator, it is still wise to have extra power available for upgrades.
Ted

kilo delta
December 3rd, 2010, 05:36
Well actually all of our testing at TechCorp indicates that good power supplies only draw the wattage necessary to power the unit's demands so if you have a 700W unit and your unit only requires 400W the rest is simply reserve and nothing is wasted. Bjoern you are basing your assumption on what you have experienced rather than factual data. While I do agree it is better to be conservative on your power supply purchase using a configurator, it is still wise to have extra power available for upgrades.
Ted

Yep, I've always advised system builders to "spec up" their PSU. It makes sense as you can bring it from one system to another when eventually upgrading. I've a Thermaltake Toughpower 1200watt unit in my main pc which has served me well since I built the rig. It'll be more than adequate for when I am let decide to build a new system. :)

Bjoern
December 3rd, 2010, 11:26
Well actually all of our testing at TechCorp indicates that good power supplies only draw the wattage necessary to power the unit's demands so if you have a 700W unit and your unit only requires 400W the rest is simply reserve and nothing is wasted. You are basing your assumption on what you have experienced rather than factual data. While I do agree it is better to be conservative on your power supply purchase using a configurator, it is still wise to have extra power available for upgrades.

I was demanded to spill out a recommendation so I spilt out a recommendation based on experience.

You can read yourself to death about PSUs. I did that before choosing the Real Power M, but as this was two years ago much of the information has been already overwritten.

I don't need excess power, so why waste tons of money for a 3453434589 W PSU?

txnetcop
December 3rd, 2010, 12:41
I was demanded to spill out a recommendation so I spilt out a recommendation based on experience.

You can read yourself to death about PSUs. I did that before choosing the Real Power M, but as this was two years ago much of the information has been already overwritten.

I don't need excess power, so why waste tons of money for a 3453434589 W PSU?

sounds like a personal choice allow others to do the same!

Bjoern
December 4th, 2010, 05:17
sounds like a personal choice allow others to do the same!

What?

stansdds
December 4th, 2010, 09:14
When it comes to PSU's I have a few simple rules.

Never buy off-brand or no-name units, always buy the ones with good reputations.

Never buy a PSU at the minimum rated wattage for your application, it limits future upgrades, overclocking and the PSU will wear out faster. As to how much over the minimums to go is a personal matter, but 100 watts buys a good amount of head room.

Never buy a PSU at the minimum rated 12v amps for application. This can severely restrict your capabilities with drives and video cards.

Aviator32
December 4th, 2010, 09:47
My Real Power Coolermaster PSU went bang last year. One of the loudest bangs I've ever heard.

I replaced it with a HX1000W Corsair Modular PSU which has been a dream ever since.

I will stick to Coolermaster cases but Corsair PSU's from now on.

kilo delta
December 4th, 2010, 10:11
My Real Power Coolermaster PSU went bang last year. One of the loudest bangs I've ever heard.

Working in a small tech repair room for a large well known computer manufacturer a couple of years ago made me immune to the sound of exploding power supplies. :d

Aviator32
December 4th, 2010, 10:32
Working in a small tech repair room for a large well known computer manufacturer a couple of years ago made me immune to the sound of exploding power supplies. :d

It was like a gunshot about a meter away from my left ear. When I took the PSU out there wasn't a mark on it anywhere but it smelt completely burnt :angryfir: