PDA

View Full Version : This is just too cool, "Gimme Shelter" deconstructed.

Cazzie
November 29th, 2010, 12:48
Just shows the professionalism that goes into music production.

http://www.dangerousminds.net/comments/deconstructing_gimme_shelter_listen/

OleBoy
November 29th, 2010, 13:13
This is very cool. Try starting two or three simultaneously. Start what you don't want to hear and it gives you a whole new perspective

Cloud9Gal
November 29th, 2010, 15:32
This was awesome! Thanks Caz!

redriver6
November 29th, 2010, 15:56
probably my favorite Stones tune...thanks.

Eoraptor1
November 29th, 2010, 15:58
Just shows the professionalism that goes into music production.

http://www.dangerousminds.net/comments/deconstructing_gimme_shelter_listen/

Cazzie,

Just curious. Have you read Keith Richards' new autobiography?

JAMES

Cloud9Gal
November 29th, 2010, 15:59

We have similar taste in music :)

I love the Rolling Stones- grew up with my Mom listening to them on LP records :)

http://dl7.glitter-graphics.net/pub/382/382997ble1lri26m.gif (http://www.glitter-graphics.com)

Tako_Kichi
November 29th, 2010, 19:20
Thanks for the link Cazzie. As a former recording studio engineer (and a huge Stones fan) I really appreciated that deconstruction. :applause:

demorier
November 29th, 2010, 23:29
Interesting piece....hey Tako, if a tech person was mixing this which track would they start with ??

grumpos
November 30th, 2010, 01:10
Thanks Cazzie, that's a great link. Keef was never the world's most technically proficient guitarist, but few come close for feel.

Cazzie
November 30th, 2010, 03:17
Cazzie,

Just curious. Have you read Keith Richards' new autobiography?

JAMES

Oh yeah, laying on my bed table right now, still reading it, just got it Sunday in Greensboro, we do not have any good book stores in Danville. He writes very well for a zombie too. :icon_lol:

stansdds
November 30th, 2010, 04:00
That is neat and listening to vocals alone is kind of weird. It's amazing how music is put together for an album, everything is adjusted and timed perfectly.

Tako_Kichi
November 30th, 2010, 04:24
Interesting piece....hey Tako, if a tech person was mixing this which track would they start with ??
Traditionally the first tracks to go down would be drums and bass guitar, with another track (or tracks) recording a guide of rhythm and a simple lead and a guide vocal so every knows where they are in the song.

The guide tracks are then slowly replaced by the proper rhythm, lead and vocals tracks.

Once all the tracks are down you then have to 'mix' or balance the tracks and this is usually done in the same order.

Another method employed (depending on the skill of the players and the 'feel' required for the song) is to record everything in one take and then maybe just add the final vocal track afterwards. The problem with the latter method is that if one of the performers screws up their part for some reason then ALL the parts have to be recorded again (unless you were lucky enough to have the instruments going to seperate tracks).

Cazzie
November 30th, 2010, 06:18
Thanks Cazzie, that's a great link. Keef was never the world's most technically proficient guitarist, but few come close for feel.

And few know the history of the guitar much better. Keith is as much a guitar historian as a guitar player. He admits his guitar is raw, that's the way he started by listening to his heroes like Muddy Waters and Chuck Berry. The Stones would have good rhythm, but without Keef, they'd be limp and listless.

Caz

Bjoern
November 30th, 2010, 11:00

Definately my favourite one and one of the best of all time!

Jwcfly
November 30th, 2010, 12:19
Absolutely classic Cazzie, thanks. I love this kind of stuff.

Not better, just different:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzgJ6Mkkd-w&feature=related

demorier
November 30th, 2010, 15:12
Thanks Tako....sounds like the mixing is quite a technical business...I imagine if the mixer got it all wrong the whole thing would be a real mess.:wavey:

Eoraptor1
November 30th, 2010, 18:19
Oh yeah, laying on my bed table right now, still reading it, just got it Sunday in Greensboro, we do not have any good book stores in Danville. He writes very well for a zombie too. :icon_lol:

When you're finished I'd like to know what you thought of it. I have some definite opinions (surprise!) but don't want to be a spoiler for anyone else.

JAMES

Tako_Kichi
November 30th, 2010, 20:59
Thanks Tako....sounds like the mixing is quite a technical business...I imagine if the mixer got it all wrong the whole thing would be a real mess.:wavey:
Oh yeah! At the start of the mixing session you just have a bunch of raw tracks. What you hope to get out at the end is a multi-million seller mega-hit. Of course those are few and far between compared to the number of tracks recorded/mixed per year.

A mixing session can easily last several days per song depending on the quality of the raw material, the amount of work involved and the depth of the pockets for those paying the tab (studio time is not cheap!) Of course you then also have to add in the band/artiste 'ego' and that can make the difference between a great time and an absolute chore. I was involved with several sessions at both ends of the scale! :isadizzy: