PDA

View Full Version : the gift i never got to play with

Daveroo
November 28th, 2010, 10:14
the post about the plane on the wire reminded me of anouther "toy" id been given as a boy.

it was a large sacle cessna in those days it was just a genaric plane...but now i think back on it..it was like a cessna 206...red and white....about a 30 inch or so wing span...it ran on battiers and it had these plastic disc's that you incerted into it that had a "flight plan" in the disc,,the plane was ground launched and then flew a patern and landed...was alot of fun .................to watch while my dad and big bill played with it.....i couldnt touch it.....this was christmas day,,,they were drunk and "testing " it to make sure it was safe...

wellllllllll.....we were at the gold country fair grounds...beautiful place...lots of very tall pine tree..secoia and redwoods...as well as some majestic old oak trees... needless to say..it took about three flights for this lil plane to get stuck about 70+ feet up in the trees...

so my dad and big bill being in the local fire department....the went down the street to the nearest firehouse..got what was called the "merc"..which was a 1937 mercurey fire truck,it had a 1200 gallon tank and two hose reels..no hose bed..it was strickly a grass truck...and had a nozel pressure of 600 psi....yes im serious....and yes you coulld hold on it the the "nozzel guns" the stream was about a 1/4 in diamiter...but never mind that...

they got on the radio..told the dispatcher that they were 10-8 ( in service) to the fairgroound for an airplane it the trees......the dispatcher...who was aduel police/fire at that time....paniced and did an all out distress callwithin minutes she had CDF,the whole auburn fire department.placer county fire units..newcastle township..Cal highway patrol auburn police and the placer sherriffs

and here stood two drunk men dressed in santa coats...nozzel in one hand (big bill) beer in the other,,,and my dad..model airplane in one hand and beer in the other and ill never forget this...big bill says......"whutcha doin boys?"

Emil Frand
November 28th, 2010, 17:35
LOL! Ok got one as well but it didnt involve rescue services. I got a Cox Stuka in black for christmas one year, little 049 engine but it was the top of the line Cox plane. so dad has to show me how to fly it, its fired up screaming to be released dad at the controls, I release and it zooms up...........and up............and up, hes in the first half of the circle when the stuka crew spotted a target and dove in for the kill........and dove.........and dove and BAMM!!! Lots of stuka parts lying in that parking lot, we got em all. This was christmas day, next day he replaced it with a Cox pt19 trainer and we learned to fly it in a grass field.

Willy
November 28th, 2010, 17:51
I had a Cox P-40 as a kid. Never did really get the hang of flying it. When I first got it, I got a finger caught in the prop and was kind of gun shy about it after that.