PDA

View Full Version : I had a complete hard drive wipeout

hey_moe
November 26th, 2008, 04:37
Lat last night when I got home I decided to see what new planes had been added over at Flightsim1 and downloaded a new plane. I rebooted in to the hard drive that had FSX installed and installed the new plane. Flew her for a while and then shut the system down. Did a MS update and it called for a reboot. After it rebooted for some reason it went into a check disk and started deleting some ID file...like around 2470000. After it did that in then added over 3000000 new ID default files. Ran it's course, rebooted and from that point on all I got was a hardware failure and the good old BSOD. No matter what OS I tried to boot into I got hardware failure and BSOD:costumes thinking I had a hardware failure I remove all hook ups,USB,sound card,all memory,and replaced with a working stick, all extra HD, rebooted same problem. Fudge, now what. I couldn't even boot into safe mode without having a total BSOD crash. I tried this on all four OS on four different drive. What ever happened it total wiped out all four drives.I am using the Apple laptop now while reinstall Vista64 first. Ain't playing with pooters fun.:banghead::banghead::isadizzy:

Moses03
November 26th, 2008, 04:51
Sorry to hear that Moe. Dang confutors! Having suffered through a hard drive crash 3 years ago, I'm so paranoid now that I have double redundancy backup with 2 external drives. Shudder the thought of losing all my FS stuff.

Moses

jmig
November 26th, 2008, 06:32
Man that does suck! :banghead:

Sometimes puters make you wanta :jump:, other times they make you wanta :crybaby:, other times you wanta :censored:. Then there is the :greenf:times. I am afraid that is where you are now, Moe

Good luck with the recovery.

lefty
November 26th, 2008, 06:59
Er, are we not talking about a fried motherboard here ?

Lionheart
November 26th, 2008, 08:13
Man.....!

:eek:

Youve got to be kidding! Four hard drives, several OS systems, all gone???

Can this be the rumoured virus that wipes out HD's?

Hard to beleive windows has perfected a way to update and (if this is by them) destroy OS on several drives. Ingenious...

Speaking of Apples.. I see Apple is having a huge sale tomorrow, including at their online site... (Drueling over a couple of their units, which all come with the infamous WinXP!)

Bill

Panther_99FS
November 26th, 2008, 08:35
:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Roger
November 26th, 2008, 10:18
Feel your pain Mike. Had a mishap with my backup puter last weekend. Turned out to be a fried mobo but put in a new mobo and back to rights again....phew:isadizzy:

Gdavis101
November 26th, 2008, 11:20
I feel your pain! I had an external drive that I stored all of my FS payware, docs and pictures on.. Plugged it in one day and it started smoking, wasn't to worried about the pics and docs because I still had them on my PC, but I had deleted all of my extra FS stuff to make room on my hard drives.

Alot of the FS stuff dated back to pre FS9, but it is gone now. I did try replacing the motherboard on the hard drive with the exact same one, cost me 40 bucks but it was worth a try.

Now, I make a back of a backup... Aren't PC's fun!

smoores
November 26th, 2008, 11:59
Do what I do. Keep all your old, worthless comptuer trash, and when a situation of that sort occurs, grab your favorite tool of choice and a trashed computer part and beat the crap out of it until everyone in your family is screaming that you have anger problems.:jump:

jmig
November 26th, 2008, 12:08
Do what I do. Keep all your old, worthless comptuer trash, and when a situation of that sort occurs, grab your favorite tool of choice and a trashed computer part and beat the crap out of it until everyone in your family is screaming that you have anger problems.:jump:

:costumes:

Lionheart
November 26th, 2008, 13:48
I have grown to fear Windows Updates. When my computer says it wants to do that, I 'always' click no these days... So many horror stories... This one by the way definately takes the cake. Why it would wipe out 'all' drives and all various OS' is beyond me.

Bill

FAC257
November 26th, 2008, 15:16
Several months ago I bought another back-up external hard drive as a third layer of back-up protection to my already two layers of "safety".

I reluctantly bought a Seagate FreeAgent external which I didn't really like the looks of how it was set up when I bought and got it up and running. Sure enough about a week ago it started acting funny. At first it would just sit there unrecognozed by the system with it's silly glowing light. Then after a few days of trying all the hints to get it to recognize, the light started flashing rapidly indicating "Drive Failure". Just great, there goes 500GB of every kind of backed-up stuff you can imagine.

Then after a little reading it turns out that the crappy FreeAgents are somewhat known for that stunt. So I ripped the thing open until I got down to the bare bones Seagate Barracuda hard drive buried under all the plastic hype. Plugged it straight into the mobo and the thing works like a champ. All my data was still there.

Trans_23
November 26th, 2008, 17:18
Several months ago I bought another back-up external hard drive as a third layer of back-up protection to my already two layers of "safety".

I reluctantly bought a Seagate FreeAgent external which I didn't really like the looks of how it was set up when I bought and got it up and running. Sure enough about a week ago it started acting funny. At first it would just sit there unrecognozed by the system with it's silly glowing light. Then after a few days of trying all the hints to get it to recognize, the light started flashing rapidly indicating "Drive Failure". Just great, there goes 500GB of every kind of backed-up stuff you can imagine.

Then after a little reading it turns out that the crappy FreeAgents are somewhat known for that stunt. So I ripped the thing open until I got down to the bare bones Seagate Barracuda hard drive buried under all the plastic hype. Plugged it straight into the mobo and the thing works like a champ. All my data was still there.

Smart move! :ernae:

Marlin
November 26th, 2008, 18:31
So Moe, did you figure out what in the heck caused your system to crash?

Was that update one of those automatic updates, or was it a manual one?

Man what a serious drag and sorry to hear about the news :isadizzy:

EDIT:
Moe, was it this one?

hey_moe
November 26th, 2008, 21:40
Well I got about 90% of the stuff loaded. My eyeballs are like sand bags:costumes: I started formatting and loading at around 9:00am this morning...got the first OS HD done around 8...It looks like what happened is MS OS did a san disk and thought that there were some bad files and removed them. After doing so searching on the net this seems to be a common problem. I guessed I learned somethin...lol

GT182
November 27th, 2008, 04:21
Moe, do you have anything from UBI that has StarForce in it? I hate to say this but it has caused all kinds of problems with drives..... Hard drives included.

hey_moe
November 27th, 2008, 06:21
No, what blows my mind was on Vista32, all I had installed on that was FSX and all the add planes and scenery. I've been reading on the net that others had the same problem when check disk started...lol...Mike
Moe, do you have anything from UBI that has StarForce in it? I hate to say this but it has caused all kinds of problems with drives..... Hard drives included.

GT182
November 27th, 2008, 07:17
Well, there's your answer..... Vista. :costumes: Another reason for not having Vista has been added to the list. ;)

Hope you get it sorted out ok Moe....

Lionheart
November 27th, 2008, 09:16
Well, there's your answer..... Vista. :costumes: Another reason for not having Vista has been added to the list. ;)

LOLOL.... vista is its own worst enemy, lol...

Yesterday, I was working on a sound file, mixing sounds. I would redo a sound in Audacity, export, send to the aircraft Sound folder, then power up FS9 and check it. Well, at one point, I drop in my sound file and it doesnt ask 'Do you want to write over the old one?' I didnt think nothing of it. (vista no longer grabs my attention when its doing goofy things). I fire up FS and its like the file never changed. I look in the sound folder, and sure enough, I have TWO files of the same name in the same folder, which is impossible, lol.. So I deleted the one that was there earlier (same location) and restarted FS. oops.. Wrong one.. I couldnt fish it out of the recycle bin, as it was accidentally deleted from my desktop a while back.

XP was awesome....

GT182
November 27th, 2008, 18:07
I quit using the Recycle Bin a long time ago. Now it's Delete and poooffff it's gone..... permanently. I was saving stuff that way that I'd never use again. The RB would fill up and it would be a PITA to empty out. Now it's becareful what you delete, unless you know exactly where to get it from again. ;)

Lionheart
November 27th, 2008, 20:38
I quit using the Recycle Bin a long time ago. Now it's Delete and poooffff it's gone..... permanently. I was saving stuff that way that I'd never use again. The RB would fill up and it would be a PITA to empty out. Now it's becareful what you delete, unless you know exactly where to get it from again. ;)

How did you do that? I didnt know you could delete the actual 'recycle bin' on the hard drive.

I have found it too useful to rescue files. I work with so many, and constantly updating and overwriting and backstepping happens often.

Good to know though. For a laptop, that would be useful.

Bill

hey_moe
November 28th, 2008, 01:30
Well the way I look at the complete wipe, if it didn't happen what else is there left to do? :costumes: I know everybody loves it when something like this happens. This is one of the main resons I brought a Apple laptop. I use the Apple to do all my important stuff such as banking,saved documents..ect..ect. Since buying this Apple I have had two updates, compared to I couldn't tell ya how many Windows updates.

GT182
November 28th, 2008, 17:33
No Bill, my Recycle Bin isn't deleted, it's still on my desktop. In Properties I have "Do not move files to the Recycle Bin. Remove files immediately when deleted" checked.

As far as I know, you can't delete the Recycle Bin.... only it's contents. But you do have a choice on sending files to the RB or deleting them immediately.

Lionheart
November 28th, 2008, 18:16
No Bill, my Recycle Bin isn't deleted, it's still on my desktop. In Properties I have "Do not move files to the Recycle Bin. Remove files immediately when deleted" checked.

As far as I know, you can't delete the Recycle Bin.... only it's contents. But you do have a choice on sending files to the RB or deleting them immediately.

Ahhhh... Good to know.

Thanks GT182