PDA

View Full Version : new targets and the problems that newspapers bring

Collin
November 28th, 2010, 03:13
Zamzam a tale of woe and 2 others.

A few months ago Tango Romeo sent me some info on a ship called the SS Zamzam. A relation had been aboard when she was shelled and stopped by a German commerce raider in the Indian Ocean. The ship was sunk and all the passengers were taken aboard the German ship and eventually were released as this was 1940 and America wasn't in the war.

TR asked me if I would model the ship for him and sent some photo's and links

now note the boxed area in the photo below from the newspaper link

So a model was duly started, and about 3/4 the way I stopped to check.

Collin
November 28th, 2010, 03:24
Apparently there was a Life magazine photographer on board who had taken photos of the ship on this voyage and the subsequent shelling and sinking. These were available to be viewed on the internet and after doing so it was quite apparent that the newspaper photo wasn't the Zamzam but some lazy editors idea of her and the white ship was also wrong.

Compare

and

I was rather ticked off.

Further research found that she was of the "Shire" class liner and was formerly the SS Leicestershire.

Back to the drawing board.....

Collin
November 28th, 2010, 03:42
So there's me left with a model thats no good for the real purpose as having made the hull in fsds and then deleting part of it to form the open main deck it had lost the ability of rebuilding because the cross-section's were no longer available.

Thought for a while, swore at the newspaper, swore at TR, the mouse, the dust on the screen and anything else within ten feet.

AHA...ERUKE (or whatever)....its a target....for the British Pacific Campaign....

So back to work.

Its now an old maru which is easy to sink (to please Dirtman)

has minimum guns aboard

Skipsan
November 28th, 2010, 06:40
Invalid Attachment specified. Have notified "The Administrator of the problem" Looking forward to the New Ship. Well Done Collin :salute::salute::salute: Great thinking on your part :bump:
Collin I have been reworking the 1941 Coastal 3 Pack dp's there just about done I shall fire them off to you for TR & Your "OK" if fine with you then pleas post.

Skipsan :kilroy:

Collin
November 28th, 2010, 08:45
Sorry Skipsan and anybody else who had problems viewing, I tried to post 2 too many piccies to close together in time.
Send the dp's to TR please and if they are what we want then I expect they will be posted at the Shipyard with your name for credit.

Anyway, back to the story.......

Not wanting to waste a good idea, I rearranged it a bit more and added a few more things so now she is an IJA Troopships complete with landing craft.

Its just begging for the attention of Dirtman.

Meet IJATrooper45.....

The landing craft has also been singled out for some more attention and will be used as a single for missions.

regards Collin

Collin
November 28th, 2010, 23:36
And for those of you who can't hit a barn door when yer leaning against it...

The anchored version, unloading her cargo for action against the dastardly ranks of the only slightly oppressed.

Using their A type LC's

Skipsan, a caveat on the dp's. The effects must all be default, we do not know what people have within their cfs2 engine and so the dp effects have to fall within everybodies boundaries.

regards Collin:ernae:

Skipsan
November 29th, 2010, 09:31
Roger that on the "dp's" Collin.

You have just gone far and beyond the call of duty on this endeavor a very large BZ FOR YOUR EFFORTS Sir :salute::salute::salute:

Looking forward to there Posting

Collin
November 29th, 2010, 17:56
Trooper/lander is now on trials.

With a dp that has boxes to take into account the LC's.

As for release, well its undecided, we want to keep them for the British Pacific Fleet campaign's, though the "Shire" class liners will be on general release for the community in WW1 and WW2 paint styles.

Skipsan
November 30th, 2010, 14:24
Way too cool Collin :ernae::ernae::ernae: Can NOT wait for there release :wiggle:

"dp's" are off to TR

Collin
December 1st, 2010, 11:04
TR received the dp's and was about to check them out when he got the "Honey Christmas Do" from his wife. But thanks Skip.:salute:

Another idea....

Japanese type A with cover. Used in harbours and as river traffic.

You really gotta milk these models for all their worth otherwise you just waste yer time.:jump:

Skipsan
December 1st, 2010, 15:06
My 2p is "Spot on" not only rivers but inter-island :bump:One other small craft to consider would be a Personnel Landing Craft "Shohatsu" :
http://www3.plala.or.jp/takihome/shohatsu.html used in the pre & early war years. The Vehicle Landing Craft "Daihatsu" as the day to day workhorse is a resounding Yup :jump: