PDA

View Full Version : FSX Hardware/Software Questions

5er driver
November 26th, 2008, 00:01
Hi, I hope this thread fits in this forum. I just bought FSX Professional and have not yet installed it on my current PC because I don't want to be disappointed with poor performance. It's a 6 year old PC, too old to upgrade, FS9 runs so-so on it so we won't even talk about that PC. I am configuring my Christmas present, a “flight sim PC”, and because I’m not so knowledgeable about hardware/software I’ll ask some questions relating to FSX and hardware & software. The options I want to put on the new PC will be:

Mainboard: Asus P5N-D, FSB 1333MHz, Max RAM 8192MB, 4 RAM slots
RAM: 4 x 2048MB
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz or Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5GHz
Graphics Card: GeForce 9800 GT 1024MB PCIE
Hard Drive: Generic 500GB SATA II 7200 rpm 16MB Cache
Software: Vista Home Premium 64 Bit or Vista Home Premium 32 Bit

Now my questions are:

With the above specs, will FSX perform well with the sliders maxed or almost maxed?

The Duo E8400 is rated at 3.0GHz, the Quad Q9300 at 2.5GHz. Which is really faster? Can you calculate that the Duo is 2 x 3 GHz and the Quad is 4 x 2.5GHz? Or, is the 3GHz and the 2.5GHz the end effect, so the 3 GHz processor is really the faster one?

I want to use a 64 bit OS so that I can use all 8GB of RAM. Will FSX, a 32 bit program, run better on a 64 bit OS than a 32 bit OS? If the bit factor of the OS won’t make a difference then I’ll go with a 32 bit OS and cut the RAM down to 4GB.

Will a 32 bit OS run on a 64 bit processor?

I know a 10,000 rpm HD would be better than a 7200 rpm but a 10,000 rpm unit is not an option that I can choose for this PC. I can upgrade later.

I’ll install FS9 on the “flight sim PC” also, my joystick is a Saitek X52 for which 64 bit drivers are available.

I think that's all for now, I appreciate your replies.

Thanks,

kilo delta
November 26th, 2008, 01:03
Firstly....welcome to the SOH :) ....and in particular, the FSX subforum :d

Are you planning to overclock your computer? I'd thoroughly recommend doing so. FSX is extremely dependent on CPU processing power so the higher the GHZ the better. FSX can utilise multiple cores (since service pack 1) so an overclocked quad would be the better option. It's generally considered that the performance "sweet spot" ,with maxxed sliders,in FSX is acheived at ~3.5ghz. The E8400 will easily reach 4ghz with a good aftermarket cpu cooler.....the Q9300 might get to ~3.3ghz.If you do not plan on overclocking then choose the E8400 @ 3ghz.
There will be absolutely no need for 8gb of memory........instead opt for 4gb of good brand ram running @ 1200mhz. In order to fully utilise the 4gb of memory you'll require Vista 64 bit. As you've stated, FSX is a 32 bit program so it'll run just as well on a 32 or 64 bit OS. Yes...a 32 bit OS will run on a 64 bit processor.
Have you considering purchasing a 7200rpm Seagate F1 hard drive? This particular range can, in many instances, outperform the earlier generation of 10k hard drives....and the price is very reasonable too. I'd also consider changing the graphics card choice, as the 9800gt is relatively weak. The ATI 4850 or 4870 would be a better choice.
Finally....where will you be purchasing the components for this build? As you are located in Germany I'd recommend that you check out www.hardwareversand.de who are not only extremely competitive with their prices...but they'll also build the PC for you for a nominal fee.
:)

5er driver
November 26th, 2008, 01:57
Thanks for the info kilo delta. I was looking at this online shop:

https://www.rocketpc.de/shop/index-Komplett_PC_Intel_Core_2_Duo_E8400_GeF_9500_GT_512 _MB-1-produkt-2130.html

They offer relatively cheap system packages with hardware/software substitution options. On this particular package I picked out the available options that I thought would work well with FSX, those were the specs in my post. They had some higher priced GeForce graphics cards but I thought the 9800 GT 1024MB would be enough. They don't specify the HD manufacturer. I'll take a look at the shop you referenced. I hadn't planned on overclocking, the way my luck goes, I should leave well enough alone.
Thanks again,