PDA

View Full Version : IL-2 in Windows7 ???

Mick
November 26th, 2010, 05:26
A friend is getting back into flight sims and has a new computer with Windows 7. He has the original IL-2 sim and when he tried to install it, his computer detected the CD-ROM and popped a preliminary box or two, but when it came time to actually install the sim, nothing happened.

We didn't even get far enough to try the "troubleshoot compatibility" option in W7.

I know nothing of either IL-2 or Windows7, so I'm stumped.

Does anyone know if the original IL-2 can be run in Windows7 ?

Of so, what are my friend and I doing wrong? Or not doing that we should be doing?

stansdds
November 26th, 2010, 16:33
The original Il2, as in Il2 Sturmovik? That's an old title, optimized for Windows 95 and 98, but ran well in XP. don't know if it will run under Windows 7. With Windows 7, like Vista, don't try to install it to C:/Program Files as Vista and 7's security don't like this. Create a directory such as C:/Flight sims and install it to that directory. If it installs, you may need to run it in Windows compatibility mode.

Mick
November 27th, 2010, 12:33
Thanks!

We'll try that.

I know the original IL-2 is old, but I didn't realize it was that old! I have a feeling my friend is going to have to buy himself a new sim if he wants to blow stuff up.

one-eye
December 3rd, 2010, 08:37
I dont have windows 7 [ thank god] , but isn't there 'a version' of Win 7 that can be run in an XP mode ? Just something to check out .

Skywolf
December 9th, 2010, 11:23
I have Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit and Il-2 1946 is running perfectly with settings maxed out. I have the D2D version though.

gigabyte
December 27th, 2010, 19:28
A friend is getting back into flight sims and has a new computer with Windows 7. He has the original IL-2 sim and when he tried to install it, his computer detected the CD-ROM and popped a preliminary box or two, but when it came time to actually install the sim, nothing happened.

We didn't even get far enough to try the "troubleshoot compatibility" option in W7.

I know nothing of either IL-2 or Windows7, so I'm stumped.

Does anyone know if the original IL-2 can be run in Windows7 ?

Of so, what are my friend and I doing wrong? Or not doing that we should be doing?

Sorry for not catching this post sooner, I have the original and the newer Il2 1946 (it is far superiors much better graphics and worth the cost to pick it up). I just tried to reinstall from the original CD (yeah it is that old) and it will install in Win7/64, BUT you have to set the installer to run in Win XP Compatibility mode, and once it is installed you will also have to set the program .exe file the same. It does work on my rig very well, but like I said the graphics are not up to todays spec's and going for the 1946 version is highly recommended plus there are a big number of additional aircraft in the later version, not to mention it has several patches that all add new Aircraft and weapons plus some exceptional maps and other features.

Best of luck and PM me if you run into problems with it I can help walk through the install I did to test it.