PDA

View Full Version : uni fees hike ...

stiz
November 24th, 2010, 23:26
for those who havent heard, our goverment is wanting to raise the university fees to about £8k/£9k a year ... students aint happy and have been protesting ..o and dropping heavy blunt objects from buildings onto peoples heads ..

..so .. cos i'm sick to death of these moaning tits and need to vent a bit ..

average pint price = £3
average 10 pints so 3x10 = 30
3 nights out a week
52 weeks in a year so 52x3 =156

30x156=£4680 .. which is more than the current fee of about £3k .. so that leaves em with £4320 to pay which, considering they dont have to pay it back till their earning over £20k i dont think is that bad!!! .. o and thats without all the tax breaks, 10% of EVERYTHING student card, goverment loans etc

their just a bunch of moaning drunk tax dodgeing twits who, after finding out they have to pay for something which mummy and daddy most likely wont pay for, they spit their dummys out and continue to make the dummy they just spat out look mighty intelligent!!

what about those of us who struggle like hell on the little we earn not knowing if the day ahead means the last day of a steady pay check .. what about all those who have been laid off who now have to put up with the crap of "your on benifits, sponger!" when theres no jobs to take which would bend over backwards for?

Fecking twits should be lined up and caned .. or made to live in the real world without the bank of mummy and daddy paying ickle bibbel babys beer fee! .. to any kids reading who want to go to uni .. grow a pair and pull your weight! If you want to take a course in the life of miss lady gogo .. well .. best crawl back to the hole you came from cos its you lot that caused your own mess! http://www.blighty-renegades.co.uk/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Quixoticish
November 25th, 2010, 00:45
You have absolutely no idea how horribly wrong you are Stiz, and to be completely honest I find your post rather offensive.

The fee hike is absolutely atrocious and I supported our students by joining in with the peaceful protest that took place locally. As a person with both undergraduate and postgraduate qualifications I know how hard it can be for many students who actually want to work as hard as they can to achieve the best qualification possible.

The rise in tuition fees is one of the most potentially damaging things any government has done to our nation in many decades and whilst the narrow minded amongst us may fall back on stereotypical bitter views of students mark my words, the nation will feel the detrimental effects in generations to come if the decision isn't reversed soon.

I'm not going to stand up and champion the cause of every student because there are many who are there because they are lazy. However for every time wasting student there are many who work damn hard at their chosen subjects and plenty of those go on to do great things in the arts and sciences later in life.

I'm also not going to say I agree with the violence at some of the protests. I found it abhorrent and whilst I support everyone's right to peaceful protest those who turned to violence have done nothing other than perpetuate the anti-student sentiment that seems so rife in the UK. However the vast majority (and I do mean vast) took part in a perfectly lawful and peaceful protest. As always it was a small minority (many of the more violent individuals were not even students) who spoil it for the majority.

I'm sorry Stiz but your post is just filled with a constant stream of hate against students. Why are you tarring all students with the same brush with your sweeping generalisations? What makes you feel qualified to be able to do so? In fact don't bother answering, they were rhetorical questions. You clearly don't have a clue what you're talking about and your post smacks of sour grapes to me.

I'd genuinely suggest a moderator lock this thread to be completely honest. It's going nowhere nice already and it's likely to cause World War III.

stuartcox
November 25th, 2010, 00:57
There are students out there, like me -once upon a time- who had to work hard for their tuition fees, rent, food etc...
No support from mummy and daddy!
Stiz's oppinion just sheds bad light on the average student and doesn't reflect reallity!
This kind of stigmatization can be extremely dangerous and makes me angry!
I agree with Chris, that the moderators should look into these kind of remarks!

Allen
November 25th, 2010, 01:32
I saw this on BBC USA. The first thing I thought was "so". The California State University (CSU) and University of California (UC) systems has and is doing the same thing.

I don't know how your number brake down but here is mine in California, USA. Estimates for the 2010-11 academic year.

<TABLE style="mso-cellspacing: 0in" class=MsoNormalTable border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><THEAD><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-firstrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #ece9d8; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0.75pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0.75pt" colSpan=3>
Living On-campus<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

</TD></TR><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 1"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #ece9d8; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0.75pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0.75pt"><o:p></o:p>

</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #ece9d8; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0.75pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0.75pt" scope=col><?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:PlaceName w:st="on">California</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType w:st="on">State</st1:PlaceType> <st1:PlaceType w:st="on">University</st1:PlaceType></st1:place> (CSU) <o:p></o:p>

</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #ece9d8; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0.75pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0.75pt" scope=col><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:PlaceType w:st="on">University</st1:PlaceType> of <st1:PlaceName w:st="on">California</st1:PlaceName></st1:place> (UC)<o:p></o:p>

</TD></TR></THEAD><TBODY><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 2"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #ece9d8; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0.75pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0.75pt">Fees/Tuition <o:p></o:p>

</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #ece9d8; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0.75pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0.75pt">$5,131<o:p></o:p>

</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #ece9d8; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0.75pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0.75pt">$11,300<o:p></o:p>

</TD></TR><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 3"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #ece9d8; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0.75pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0.75pt">Books and supplies<o:p></o:p>

</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #ece9d8; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0.75pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0.75pt">$1,624<o:p></o:p>

</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #ece9d8; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0.75pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0.75pt">$1,560<o:p></o:p>

</TD></TR><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 4"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #ece9d8; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0.75pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0.75pt">Room and board<o:p></o:p>

</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #ece9d8; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0.75pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0.75pt">$10,353<o:p></o:p>

</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #ece9d8; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0.75pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0.75pt">$13,000<o:p></o:p>

</TD></TR><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 5"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #ece9d8; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0.75pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0.75pt">Miscellaneous<o:p></o:p>

</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #ece9d8; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0.75pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0.75pt">$3,679<o:p></o:p>

</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #ece9d8; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0.75pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0.75pt">$3,540<o:p></o:p>

</TD></TR><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 6; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #ece9d8; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0.75pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0.75pt">TOTAL<o:p></o:p>

</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #ece9d8; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0.75pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0.75pt">$20,787<o:p></o:p>

</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #ece9d8; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0.75pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0.75pt">$29,400<o:p></o:p>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

wombat666
November 25th, 2010, 01:56
In defence of stitz (his post is far less 'offensive' than most!) I must say in my experience the Uni Students of today in general are inclined to want most things at minimal cost, while it seems to be expected by the very large number of 'Professional Students' who seem to go on and on with course after course that they are the chosen ones who are 'owed'.
Those who make it into the workplace are obligated to repay a certain amount of money (in Australia that is known as the HEX fee) once they reach a certain salary level.

And FWIW I did my engineering course(s) to qualify for a position in the ADF, graduated and moved on, but I never understood and still don't see why so many students do the all encompassing 'Arts' course.
It really means nothing, except avoiding entering the work force.

As for the fees, most Universities seem to be intent on catering to the overseas students, in Australia that means primarily the Asian and Indian market.
Nothing to do with 'Education' and everything to do with making money.

Most young people today would be better off in the present employment climate taking up an apprenticeship, we need far more skilled trades people than academics ...... :173go1:

Aviator32
November 25th, 2010, 02:07
I kind of promised myself I wouldn't get involved in these things anymore but I have to say that UK students don't know how lucky they are compared to the US and other parts of the world.

However, thanks largely to the last administration everyone now thinks going to University is one of their human rights regardless of aptitude and ability. As a consequence degrees are now utterly worthless and unless you turn up with a Phd, employers are just not impressed by them any more. In fact someone without a degree is much more interesting as there must be a reason they didn't go to college and it can't be because they aren't bright enough because being bright is not necessarily a prerequisite any more.

When I was a student I cleaned the college early in the morning, left to do the washing up in an Old People's home at 4pm and went from there to clean a school in the early evenings. I then went back to college to study. During the holidays at various times I worked in a hospital laundry, a Post Office sorting room, a motorway service station and as a pot washer in a restaurant, every day of every holiday including Christmas. I still graduated with debts - not interest free student loans I could pay back at five quid a week but bank loans with interest charged. I come across a lot of students on a daily basis and the overwhelming number of them are not prepared to work at all to put themselves through college - they don't see why they should have to and would rather rely on loans instead.

The higher fees which will be implemented regardless of the length and violence of any protests do not have to be paid back until you can afford to and even then you have the rest of your life to do it. It will not stop anyone from going to university or college if they want to go.

Aviator32
November 25th, 2010, 02:16
Most young people today would be better off in the present employment climate taking up an apprenticeship, we need far more skilled trades people than academics ...... :173go1:

Agree 100%. Going to University is now viewed as just a continuance of statutory education and not a means of nurturing the very brightest minds. Apprenticeships are a perfect alternative for those who would rather learn a skill and get paid. The problem of course is that the trades have all gone! When I was at school the vast majority of the kids left school and went straight into an apprenticeship at the Naval dockyard but there are so few of them available now that most of the kids go to University instead, study something useless and end up unemployable and embittered.

Cazzie
November 25th, 2010, 04:20

Wholeheartedly agree, my POV here in the Colonies also. College for anyone other than those seeking professional positions is Cow Hockey and nothing more than a money rip-off, especially here in this nation. Earn as you learn, that's my belief.

Caz

Toastmaker
November 25th, 2010, 05:54
There are students out there, like me -once upon a time- who had to work hard for their tuition fees, rent, food etc...
Stiz's oppinion just sheds bad light on the average student and doesn't reflect reallity!
This kind of stigmatization can be extremely dangerous and makes me angry!
I agree with Chris, that the moderators should look into these kind of remarks!

And what ? Censor them because you disagreee with his positions on the matter ? I think not. Completely unreasonable for a discussion forum.

:running:

Cloud9Gal
November 25th, 2010, 06:06
So far, everyone has done a decent job in stating their opinion/position. Let's not get personal and just continue having a "healthy" conversation.

As of now, I don't see any reason why we should lock this thread.

Let us be respectful and try not to get too emotional about the subject.

Thanks everyone!

TeaSea
November 25th, 2010, 06:39
Kind of OT, but interesting observations on the value of a degree from some members of the forum.

I just had the same sort of discussion with some family members as to what the intent is of the U.S. educational system, particularly in High School, which seems to be oriented on only getting students to university.

I personally have some issues with that. I don't think it's a High School's job to prepare students for college, but rather it's to produce a graduate with a High School degree that can be applied to a variety of paths. This focus on "college" seems to demean the trades in my opinion.

I also believe that this focus on college minimizes the value of those students who clearly are not academically inclined nor desire that type of education. Our high HS drop out rate in the states is, in part, a partial result of that attitude.

In my mother and father's family there are 4 Phd's, 3 Engineers, 4 Masters, and 4 tradesmen/craftsmen. They all came out of the same rural Arkansas high school in the 50's. The school was prepared to produce multiple career tracks.

As to the current slate of protests....I would certainly have some empathy for the sudden increase in costs, and am a little hesitant to comment on the system in the UK, but in general students should be prepared to pay what they think their education is worth. University education quite frankly is not a "right". It seems that we have somehow created an attitude in young people that it is. Perhaps this effort will prove to be a necessary course correction.

In any case, rampaging through the streets in protest is not the way to deal with it.

Aviator32
November 25th, 2010, 07:04
I was the first in my family ever to go to University and study for a degree. On both sides of the family going back forever, I was the first.

Every single one of my nieces and nephews and cousins kids have all now gone to University. The change has been that dramatic in that short a period of time.

I would be opening a huge can of worms if I started talking about how A Level's became easier and the grades required to get into university dropped in that time so more and more people can go but that's an touchy subject in the UK. I do think the previous Government had the right idea in opening up the education system to everyone but they did it by fiddling the figures and cheating and now there is a sense of entitlement among School children - they take it for granted that they will go to university and get their degrees in Media Studies and Sports Science but they don't realise how valueless it has become.

Willy
November 25th, 2010, 07:23
Our local country High School here was two paths for students, University and Vocational. University for those that want to go on to college and vocational for those wishing to pursue a trade. When I was in high school back in the stone age (early 70s), the larger schools did the same.

I agree that a college education is not a right. I didn't get mine until I was in my 40s. I made a career in the Navy with just a high school equivalency. But I'm a firm believer these days in if you can get that education, go for it. One you have that degree, they can't take it away from you.

Roadburner440
November 25th, 2010, 07:26
Disclaimer: The following is my opinion based on personal experience. I apologize if you find it offensive, and respect your own personal opinions as everyone is entitled to it.

I can't speak for the UK, but this sounds similar to what is transpiring in the US right now. The way I see it. People used to work hard to go to college, and excell at what they were doing. Now this "entitlement" generation expects everything for free on the backs of people who themselves may not have ever been to college. Going to college is not a right. It is something that you work hard, and strive for. Plus if you have more skin in the game as I like to say. You will be more apt to want to do better in school. Instead of partying to death. The kids that we have coming into the military now with useless degrees, or that dropped out of college because the money tree ran out. Have absolutely no respect, and no idea of the value of a hard earned dollar/pound/euro. I just do not see the need to subsidize someone else's secondary education. I haven't been, and if I do go I will be paying for it and paying for it while I work 40-60 hours a week. Times are changing though. Businesses are realizing that a lot of these degrees are useless, and these people are having a difficult time finding employment. Have a friend now with one of these said useless degrees working at Wal-Mart for $8.25 an hour...

EDIT: A secondary thought as well. If the cost of these schools is going up then that is the cost to go. Most of it is due to administrative bloat from what I can see. The senior professor's and administrators make a lot of money.. UNF up the road from me just raised their tuition fee's to cover raises for their entire faculty to make their pay scale "competative" with other uni's so they wouldn't loose staff. Instead of blamming the governments for not paying for their college they need to blame the administrators/professors who are making rediculous salaries, and demanding regular raises.

Cazzie
November 25th, 2010, 08:03
EDIT: A secondary thought as well. If the cost of these schools is going up then that is the cost to go. Most of it is due to administrative bloat from what I can see. The senior professor's and administrators make a lot of money.. UNF up the road from me just raised their tuition fee's to cover raises for their entire faculty to make their pay scale "competative" with other uni's so they wouldn't loose staff. Instead of blamming the governments for not paying for their college they need to blame the administrators/professors who are making rediculous salaries, and demanding regular raises.

Public school teachers make next to nothing, possibly they are the lowest paid professionals we have. On the other hand, tenured college professors make a doctor's salary and most get grant money in their fields of endeavor. They rarely instruct, usually giving that privilege to a grad student. I rank colleges third below banks and insurance companies as the largest rip-offs in our American society.

Caz

stiz
November 25th, 2010, 08:55
ChrisH i never said non of em every work hard .. just saying most of em would save an utter fortune not going on the boozer, i live in a uni town, have a brother in a uni town, and also have friends at uni and 98% of them and their friends spent the week wondering what on earth happened on the weekend. Walk round the streets on a friday/saturday night in uni towns at about 2am and see how many of them are students.

Also .. if they cant afford uni when their 19/20 then get a job, save your money, and go when you CAN afford it. You dont have to go straight after 6th form ...

EDIT- few opions from another forum posted after the first "protest"

I was a student and ill agree with both cooter and Meaty but mostely with Meaty.

I went to university for 4 years and admittedly spent a lot of that time drinking and not studying which pretty much means I was pissing people tax's up the wall which at the time I did not comprehend my action but now I do.

I came out of uni owing £20,000 ish which I still owe now, infact I owe more now because as soon as I had finished they started charging me £50 interest which is fair they got to try and recoup their money. I am now earning £18,000 (which I am over the moon about and owe to going to university) and on my payslip it shows I am paying £22 to pay off my student loan.

Work that out, £50 interest and I am paying £22, they are effectively adding on £28 every month to my student loan which stands at about £20,000. I used the governments online calculator to show me when I would pay it off (insert lol) when I retire it gets scrubbed and I will owe then roughly £100,000.

Doing the math I will be paying back a minimum of £22 a month for the rest of my working life and that will increase if my wage increases but we will stay at £22 every month.

That is 12 months a year - 12 X 22 = £264 every year.

I am 23 now and a mans retirement age at the moment is 65 so that is 42 years of working in me. so that makes

42 X 264 = £11088 minimum I will pay which is stupid as I initially borrowed £20,000 off the government. TRY AND EXPLAIN THAT ONE.

For me that is just my student loan, but the students now have to borrow that as long as the tuition fee to the university which will be an additional £4,000 minimum but could be up to £12,000 depending on the uni so student could be coming out of uni with debt up to £50-60,000

but as I showed depending on how much they earn, they may never have to pay back even a quarter of that. In my eyes the whole system is ****ed up.

Don't know if this answered any questions, just thought I would bring my knowledge.

I am sorry to say this, but I think that anyone who uses violence or destroying other peoples property as a way of protest is pathetic.

They are moaning about increased fees ? GET A ******* JOB to pay for it like we had to do.

I had 2 jobs to pay for things I wanted, I am pretty pissed at the amounts of students who want everything handed to them on a plate.

It is disgraceful and they should be ashamed, their protests have done nothing in their cause except gain a massive amount of anger towards them.

First thing's first and I hope I get this right .

A student that goes on to uni etc as its further education and gives you the chance to get a better job = better life etc ....... why should they pay for it , if you think you are being educated at the taxpayers expense then think again

If it takes you 10 years before you start paying back just think the interest that has accumulated and what you have to pay back.

If you choose to go to0 uni then you should pay no matter what.These people cannot complain and to riot or as some put it PROTEST is a joke I think free speech goes a little to far at times

If they don't wont to pay the fees then don't go to uni simple if this is them at such an early age trying to get things for free or much less than what they should be paying just think what they will be like with other responsibilities , so if gas goes up , fcuk it lets protest and not pay, get a loan etc sod it lets not pay it.

Either pay up or shut up , stop taking from the fragile goverment and do what the working man and women do .

I have worked dam f**** hard in order to have money for my daughters to go to uni so no matter what the fee etc are they wont moan (they know better)

Rant over , oh if they riot jail the f****** and dont allow them back into uni

and just for the sake of counter argument ..

The thing is education going through the system should be free because they have indorsed this system and if ya wanna get anywhere half decent ya need to educate yourself their way in their recognised system, and now pay out your ear and for people like myself will never be able to contribute to my girls third level education which annoys the hell outta me because i didn't have the choice to go to 3rd level and i feel they should but we are now in the same boat here with fee's the GB government got away with it now they are gonna do it here also. EDUCATION SHOULD BE FREE TO AND FOR ALL but i'm complaining as a parent not a student and as far as the students using it as a piss up party time yes i totaly agree!!!

Aviator32
November 25th, 2010, 09:44
It's certainly an interesting debate and a very different one today compared to what it would have been ten years ago. We'll revisit it in ten years time I'm sure. When I was a student we protested about the Poll Tax - changed nothing of course! If I had children today I honestly don't know what my advice would be. My degree hasn't made any difference to my career path at all which has been governed much more by good and bad luck than by any qualifications I have.

Bjoern
November 25th, 2010, 12:27
The good looking english girls can come and study at my uni. No fees here.

P.S:
I perfer being a twat living on my parents' money for five years than having an awfully badly paid and boring job for the rest of my life.

Stratobat
November 25th, 2010, 13:30
Hi Guys,

I'm of the opinion that students should pay for their studies. You can argue it from the perspective that students should pay a bare minimum as this money would be recouped later by government through taxes and etc - The amount of money a person spends in their life is directly proportionate to the amount of money they earn - but the truth of the matter is that when you give people something for free, they never really appreciate it as much.

Easy come - easy go.

Regards,
Stratobat

safn1949
November 25th, 2010, 18:06
I am going back to school to get a AS degree in the next 2-3 years.My cost will be somewhere between $12,500-15,000 to do that depending on how many online classes I take and I will pay cash while I work a full time job.

A job...perish the thought,my former step kids and their mom were horrified that they might have to work for anything,thus they are dirt poor whiners.And I am single again.:jump:

Allen
November 25th, 2010, 18:13
It not just the US and GB that have this problem....

Students occupy Pisa's tower, Colosseum in protest
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101125/ap_on_re_eu/eu_italy_student_protests;_ylt=AhLfZOvavfs1j58DIYd 23lwEtbAF;_ylu=X3oDMTJ2YjRuY2UwBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTA xMTI1L2V1X2l0YWx5X3N0dWRlbnRfcHJvdGVzdHMEcG9zAzcEc 2VjA3luX3BhZ2luYXRlX3N1bW1hcnlfbGlzdARzbGsDc3R1ZGV udHNvY2N1

grumpos
November 26th, 2010, 05:41
When I was a student we protested about the Poll Tax - changed nothing of course!

The Poll Tax was scrapped and Margaret Thatcher was kicked out. I'd call that a result.

grumpos
November 26th, 2010, 05:47

Err Stuart, did you really have to pay fees. I certainly didn't when I was a student during the 1990s. Students today also have to pay for rent, food etc...

grumpos
November 26th, 2010, 05:49
The good looking english girls can come and study at my uni. No fees here.

No fees in Scotland. We attract good looking German girls. :wiggle:

Roadburner440
November 26th, 2010, 06:02
Going to deviate from topic here slightly, but Scottland was awesome!! I wish I could go back. :ernae:

Aviator32
November 26th, 2010, 06:58
The Poll Tax was scrapped and Margaret Thatcher was kicked out. I'd call that a result.

I wish! The Poll Tax was given a more user friendly name and I've been paying it ever since and my one day of going to Trafalgar Square for half an hour before getting bored and wandering off and into Soho did not result in the demise of Margaret Thatcher who was ousted by members of her own party several years later.

Aviator32
November 26th, 2010, 06:59

Well, you have to import good looking girls from somewhere! :173go1:

Clarke123
November 26th, 2010, 08:52

Margaret Thatcher was kicked out because she brought the entire country to it's knees. She destroyed British industry and the only reason she lasted so long was her response to the invasion of the Falklands which, ironically, her defence cuts helped to facilitate. You really think a few upset students could bring about actual change? What about the costs to us taxpayers of police manpower and the criminal damage they've caused by throwing a wobbly. More than 750,000 people including some very influential public figures marched on London to protest the war in Iraq. That didn't make a damned bit of difference. Neither will this especialy as their behaviour has turned the public against them. I'm not in their position so I don't know how much it affects them personaly but this is a shameful display and everyone is paying through the nose these days for public services. Tough s**t, frankly, stop throwing your toys out of the pram and knuckle down like every working man and woman has to. Someone voted them in power and these are the consequences. I'm not in the least bit surprised. Different brand, same loathsome weasels.

Bjoern
November 26th, 2010, 09:17
My studies will cost my parents 38400 € till my master's degree.

No, that's not fees...

Too true. *Grr*

Well, you have to import good looking girls from somewhere! :173go1:

*Chuckle*