PDA

View Full Version : ETO 1.40 L-5 Italy missions uploaded

HouseHobbit
November 24th, 2010, 10:50
You will be flying from 900/ 600 ft airstrips with trees, and with different wind conditions.
And from mountain top airfields..
The goals will depend on the Player flying his L-5 to specific points to view the German targets, Each mission will expose the player to different levels and intensity of ground fire.

There are Night missions, and daylite missions..They are a challange, and there is plenty of eye candy for all..
The missions will require you to attack/spot various german targets.
Check the read me file closely..For the load in information...

The Germans have artillery located on the slopes of Mt Rotunda East of Monte Cassino, the German Artie is covered by several nearby flak guns both large and small cailber. Hit your asigned target (88mm Gun).. **German infantry are dug in protecting the approach through the valley..**Locate the German positions and report these on your return..**Warning **Radio intercepts show enemy fighters are inbound, a CAP of P-51's are overhead.. Watch your Six.. Fly your mission with 1/2 fuel for better performance, and never make turns in towards mountain ridges and rising terrain.

Earlier in the day you flew a Bird Col. from Div. Arty up to the Plateau where the Abbey of Monte Cassino is located. The Germans were driven out of the area earlier in the day and you landed on a very short 600 ft strip that had had been used by a Fiesler Storch previously based at Monte Cassino.
Darkness has fallen and you must now make a night takeoff using the 600 ft of clear area amid the burning wreckage of German vehicles. The cool night air will help with your takeoff and you will return and land at your grass field with the aid of flare pots.

Just a heads up the Col. will ask you to recon up the valley after takeoff before heading home to look for German fuel and ammo trucks moving under cover of darkness.

There are 5 missions in this package, these are brief overviews of two of the mission briefings
There are more.. And they are lively..

Thanks to O-1 Driver and the ETO/PTO team for making this possible

O-1Driver
November 24th, 2010, 10:59
Thanks Owen, thanks for the terrific missions you built for this Monte Cassino package. I know that we can look forward to some more good ones in the Anzio Landings package coming up.

Best Regards
O-1

Led Zeppelin
November 25th, 2010, 08:00
thanks, I really enjoyed these ones.

Led Zeppelin
November 27th, 2010, 00:23
damned, mission #4 is very hot, I've been hit by flak just after I dropped the grenades! Fortunately, engine was in good condition and I landed safely with the congratulations of the army troops! :salute:

A warm thank you to the flare battery guys who have helped me to locate the German troops.

brundu841
November 27th, 2010, 01:32
thank you for this creation, this small plane has made many service men on shore,This is a Piper Cub (No. 329911) which, 24 August 1944 with Captain John Callet in command and Lieutenant Etienne Mantoux as an observer flying at low altitude and the Paris Prefecture of Police to forward the message of resistance to General Leclerc( 2eme DB)"Hold on, we get" announcing the imminent arrival of Franco-American troops to deliver the city from German occupation.

O-1Driver
November 27th, 2010, 09:40
damned, mission #4 is very hot, I've been hit by flak just after I dropped the grenades! Fortunately, engine was in good condition and I landed safely with the congratulations of the army troops! :salute:

A warm thank you to the flare battery guys who have helped me to locate the German troops.

I agree Loic, that was a tough one. Owen seems to have little regard for the safety of the Player.:icon_lol:

It will get a little tougher as we move to Anzio. The Germans have placed mines and obstacles in many of the fields and you cannot land short or long when coming in to home. T2430924310he engineers have not had time to clear the fields on the North and South approaches to the grass strip.

If you hit one of these ACC mined obstacles it is all over. Why on earth the ACC team made these hedgehogs for the Germans is beyond me.

Steve

HouseHobbit
November 27th, 2010, 11:36
Thank You All Very Much..
I am pleased that these are a chalange..
Steve did the hard work on the missions, I just danced on them a little to be somewhat
of a challange..
Thanks Steve for the great templates you made for me to play with..

mthrift
November 28th, 2010, 06:13
Hello all, but especially 0-1Driver and HH:

I have really enjoyed the Monte Cassino L-5 missions this long weekend. There aren't many other missions I've flown with as much eye-candy as these. For me, they are amazingly immersive! Very impressive work, my thanks to you both - and the ETO/PTO team! :medals:

As I played them again and again (must admit I didn't make it through most of them my first try), I realized something about the sound of the plane didn't seem right. On my setup, I saw that the sound was aliased to the base Mosquito. So, I set about to find something better. I first looked on the DR_Engine_Sounds folder of my ETO install, and didn't find anything that seemed appropriate (possibly I missed something there?). At that point, I turned to the web. My research on Wikipedia led me to a list of aircraft that used the same engine as the L-5 (Lycoming O-435 - three different variants). Among those were a couple aircraft I had loaded in my FS9 "library". Those were the DH Chipmunk and the Piaggio P-149.

Having experimented with these things before, I knew I could pretty much use the sounds file from the FS9 aircraft as-is for CFS3 aircraft. So, I gave them both a shot. Both were better than the stock Mosquito sounds, but for me, the Chipmunk sounds seemed more "correct". Admittedly, I've never flown an L-5 (or any other real aircraft), but the "gutsy" and "throaty" sounds of the Chipmunk files seemed to suit the aircraft better that the more "refined" sound of the Piaggio. Still, I'm sure 0-1Driver or someone else with real-life experience with these birds will have a good ear for it. Has anyone else done anything with alternate sounds for the L-5?

If you're interested in trying what I've done, you can get the FS9 Chipmunk and Piaggio aircraft at these links on Flightsim.com. You can use the sound files included in these packages (though I also highly recommend both of these complete aircraft packages if you use FS9) for the CFS3 L-5.

Chipmunk (two downloads):
http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=79221
http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=79428

Piaggio (two downloads):
http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=104346
http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=104417

One other thing . . . I love the concept of the flarepots, and I'm sure they're rendered accurately, but is there some change I can make to the appropriate xdp(s) to make them a little brighter? They are almost impossible for me to see them until I'm right on top of them and about to land. It took me forever to find the airstrip in the first night mission (again, I'm sure that's probably accurate and they might not have wanted them to be that bright - to avoid detection).

Once again, thanks for the mission set. I'm looking most forward to the Anzio missions! :ernae:

Regards,
Michael

O-1Driver
November 28th, 2010, 10:36
Michael,

Thanks for your comments and we are glad you are enjoying the missions. You are 100% correct that the engine sound on the L-5 is horrible and no where near accurate.

The large six cylinder engine on the L-5 has a deep throaty roar to it as does the L-19. You can hear the L-5 and L-19 coming and going for quite a distance due to exhaust and propeller noise. The Chipmunk has an inverted straight six engine that sounds similar but not as strong as the L-5.

The L-4 has a small 4 cylinder engine that is quite as a mouse and has no roar to it at all.

I will get with Capt. Winters and take a look at what freeware sounds are available for use as we are limited in what we can include in ETO.

Those flare pots are pretty dim but are better in some missions than others. Unlike the runway lights in ETO that are muzzle flash effect, the flare pots had to be particle effect to simulate flames. Particle effects are very sensitive to other particle effects that occur near to them and can be dimmed by explosions that happen to near their location. We noticed on one of the missions where explosions are very near the takeoff and landing filed that the flare pots were affected. Try different night missions and see if you can tell a difference where the explosions are not near them.

I will also take a look at tweaking the intensity just a bit for the Anzio release.

Best Regards,

O-1

mthrift
November 28th, 2010, 16:01
Thanks for your reply, 0-1!

Yep, I see now that it was the Super Chipmunk that shared engines with the L-5. Still for now, I like the sounds of the package that came with the FS9 "standard" Chipmunk. I know that anything you and Capt. Winters may come up with would be better still.

Don't do anything extra on my account for the flarepots, from the sound of it, it's no easy tweak.

I do appreciate you taking the time for the response. It's great to have such a knowledgeable, open, and helpful group of folks on the message board.

Michael

brundu841
November 30th, 2010, 08:39
I managed to find the sound of the Lycoming R 680, which is also a 6-cylinder engine and thus close enough to the real 431 on the Lycoming sentinel L 5 ... fsx is on a creation of OBIO if I'm not mistaken! .. if I tinker to get the sound of the piper L4 is a 4-cylinder

brundu841
November 30th, 2010, 08:54
the engine of the Piper L-4 was originally a 4 cylinder Continental A 65 with an output of 65 hp

renereimann
November 30th, 2010, 17:04
I can not find this "ETO 1.40 L-5 Italy Missions" pack. It is not on the ETO/PTO download site.

HouseHobbit
November 30th, 2010, 20:22
Just at SOH;
Here is the link..
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?s=&catid=9&keyid=&nameid=&page=1&pp=15&sort=d

brundu841
December 5th, 2010, 03:22
I found the sound of the Piper L-4 aircraft on FS2004 add on: TaylorE2

origin:Copywrite November 20, 2005 by Golden Age Simulations

Paul Corish Spad54@aol.com
Gil Halpin BacardiBoy@frontiernet.net
Keith Monson