PDA

View Full Version : Very annoying FSX freezes

stiz
November 24th, 2010, 06:02
Ok I'm haveing a problem with FSX, in all its mystic wisdom its decided it wants to freeze the PC randomly, it could freeze 10 secs into a flight or 10 mins. Either way i get constant freezeing whenever fsx is opened, most of the time all the sound on the PC freezes (i tend to have WMP playing) and other times its just FSX that freezes (WMP carrys on playing).

I've deleted the FSX.cfg, tried every plane i have and in all scenery locations i have and turned all settings to minimum and it still happens. Useing windows XP SP3 with FSX on a different internal drive to the OS. Any ideas??

PRB
November 24th, 2010, 06:08
Sometimes the Windows event logs provide clues as to what happened at the crash...

stiz
November 24th, 2010, 06:10
its never crashed though thats the thing, after the freeze it just carrys on. let it run for a few hours and allthough it kept freezing randomly, it never crashed to desktop :isadizzy:

Ferry_vO
November 24th, 2010, 06:12
Any black screen flashes during the freeze? Might be your videocard having a problem with the drivers.

stiz
November 24th, 2010, 06:20
nope no black screens, no scenery deformations, no missing textures etc, in a way its like hitting pause randomly! :isadizzy:

Tako_Kichi
November 24th, 2010, 09:31
Do you have anything running in the background that might be trying to access the internet like AV programs trying to update their virus database? I have my AV program set so that it will not call home for updates if I am in a full screen game.

stiz
November 24th, 2010, 09:35
AV is turned off as are all unneeded programs etc ... i was thinking, i update my graphic card drivers the other day, think that might be it?? ... but cant rember if it was freezeing before or not :monkies:

Wozza
November 24th, 2010, 18:37
Hi Mate
WMP has issues period :) it a resource hog and fsx doesn't play well with other programs using teh sound card....burn the music tracks to a cd format and play on the rom drive,if you have a play button on the drive even better ;)

If you running onboard sound then the device uses cpu processes what happens is the sound card and video fight for cpu and buss time...If you have an dedicated addon sound card you wont use anywhere near the same cpu processes but you may stil have buss sharing issue depending on the system architect...anyway to test if the above is an issue try dropping the sound cards hardware acceleration to one notch above none ...you can do this by using control panel~sounds~advance settings or just type in dxdiag in the run window and check on the sound tab.
Only other thing I can think of is its heat related the south bridge chip might be getting hot some of these have a heatsink and or fan on them some dont....give em a clean every now and again..
Cheers
Wozza

beana51
November 24th, 2010, 19:06
Funny ,recently I installed IE8,soon the freeze started...this in the general computer operation....found a way to thaw my problem....the "Mozilla FireFox" system....I can only relate that my whole computer is now free of the IE8 restraints.and running well....Will this work in your case??? I dunno,but it may be worth a shot....Hope it does..Vin!!

icarus
November 24th, 2010, 22:33
if i can be of some help...try to use vlc player instead wmplayer, vlc is very light on system

it can read all sound formats and videos...i'm not using anymore vmplayer since 2008

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

if you install pay attention during install it will ask to be the defaul player for many formats..you can choice yes or not...i did it and didn't create problem to games or other programs.

and if you have the new samsung galaxy tab it's amazing what you can do with vlc player...control from distance the computer, tv, remote control, streaming from different device external disk and more etc...it is just what i discovered in the last two weeks