PDA

View Full Version : Spot-Light: Warbirdsim's FSX P-51D-20NA ‘Upupa Epops’

Bomber_12th
November 23rd, 2010, 11:35
The P-51D, 44-72364, cn 122-38823, known as ‘Upupa Epops’, owned and operated by the Flying Heritage Collection, based at Paine Field in Everett, WA, is one of the very few types remaining that actually saw combat service during WWII.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
44-72364 was delivered to the United States Army Air Force, fresh from the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Inglewood</st1:place></st1:City> factory, on January 26, 1945. Sent to <st1:country-region w:st="on">England</st1:country-region>, and allocated to the 352nd FS, of the 353rd FG, based in <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Raydon</st1:City>, <st1:country-region w:st="on">England</st1:country-region></st1:place>, the aircraft was assigned to Lt. Harrison B. “Bud” Tordoff, and entered combat for the first time on March 1, 1945. Bud had already accumulated one tour of combat duty, flying the P-47, when he returned fresh for a second tour, and was immediately assigned this aircraft. By this time in the war, for matters of potentially negative-propaganda, the Eighth Air Force required official approval before a name was to be painted on an aircraft. Not wanting to continue with the name he had originally given to his P-47 on his first tour, Bud used his background in ornithology, and figured he would give the officials a bit of a hard time, choosing “Upupa Epops”, the scientific name for the hoopoe. Bud liked the name for its silliness, and the bird’s bizarre appearance. While it likely caused some question in the mind of the official whose job it was to overlook the requests, the name was approved without comment. In the final six weeks of the war in Europe, Bud flew the aircraft in support of the daylight bombing raids against <st1:country-region w:st="on">Germany</st1:country-region> throughout occupied Europe and in support of missions for the Allied ground forces during the liberation of mainland <st1:place w:st="on">Europe</st1:place>. During this time, Bud shot down two Luftwaffe aircraft while flying Upupa Epops, including an Me 262, adding to his tally from his first combat tour, totaling.9 victories in all. With the war in Europe over, Bud was sent back to the <st1:country-region w:st="on">U.S.</st1:country-region>, while Upupa Epops stayed put in <st1:place w:st="on">Europe</st1:place>. Amongst many other P-51D’s that remained, the aircraft was sold to <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Sweden</st1:place></st1:country-region> in 1947, where it served until 1954. At this time it was bought by the <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Dominican Republic</st1:place></st1:country-region>, where it saw service until the early 1980’s! In 1984 the aircraft was bought and brought back into the <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">U.S.</st1:place></st1:country-region>, and stored until being purchased in 1999, for what would become the Flying Heritage Collection. The aircraft was crated up and sent to West Pac Restorations, where an intensive restoration program was initiated - the airframe would not just be restored, but returned to the exact same standard as it was when it left the North American Aviation factory in late 1944, early 1945. The end result, setting a whole new benchmark in P-51 restorations, was rolled out in 2003, and delivered to the Flying Heritage Collection in its original factory-bare scheme. Upon arrival, it was painted once again in the exact, original colours of Lt. Tordoff’s ‘Upupa Epops’. Shortly there-after, in the summer of 2003, Bud was reunited with ‘his’ airplane, at the Flying Heritage Collection museum - the first time he had seen it since WWII. Upon detailed inspection, the restoration team knew they had done right, when Bud gave them his approval.
<o:p></o:p>
As an accurately restored P-51D-20NA variant, there are aspects of the exterior and the interior of the aircraft, which are different than any other variant of the P-51D. Starting with the P-51D-5 production model, North American Aviation would proceed to make hundreds of design changes, some significant, some minor, over the course of each new production block, ending with the P-51D-30. Many changes even occurred during the middle of a production block, added or revised right on the shop floor. This meant that even early-production P-51D-20’s were different than late-production P-51D-20’s. “Upupa Epops” is considered one of the late-production D-20’s. The most significant difference between early and late model D-20’s, was the ‘Zero Rail Launcher’ installation, which went into effect during D-20 production. As the NAA specifications outlined:
“The installation of electrical and structural provisions for the zero rail rocket launchers were made a permanent part of the airplane. This installation permits a total of ten rockets to be carried. An alternate arrangement, made possible by the removal of the mounts for the two inboard rockets and addition of bomb racks, allows either two 500-pound bombs or two long-range fuel tanks to be carried.
For firing the rockets, a firing button is mounted on the control stick. A Type A-1 control box assembly is mounted flush in the pilot's front switch box below the instrument panel. A four-position selector switch, with contacts for "SAFE," "ROCKETS," "BOTH BOMBS," and "BOMBS TRAIN," is provided. The wiring is arranged so that the rockets fire alternately from one side and then the other beginning with those outboard.
The forward center rocket mount on each wing covers the airplane jack point. It will be necessary, therefore to remove these two mounts to jack up the airplane. The jack point at the airplane centerline may be used without removing the mounts.
The center of gravity is kept forward to prevent an adverse movement of the airplane center of gravity with the ten 5-inch T-64 rockets in position. When mounted, the rocket fins clear those of adjacent rockets by about 1.25 inches.”
While these provisions were put in-place during late D-20 production, in late 1944, there is no evidence that any Mustangs were delivered to <st1:place w:st="on">Europe</st1:place> with rocket-launcher stubs installed, during WWII.
Furthermore, on the exterior of the aircraft, there were various differences in lower-cowling access panels, over the length of P-51D production. For 44-72364 this consisted of only one access panel, for connecting a ground-heater duct to the engine. (The P-51D-30, for example, had two additional access panels, one to access the oil drain, and another to access the fuel drain, without needing to remove the entire lower cowl panel).
Another key difference in the P-51D-20, from earlier P-51D models, was that it featured the first factory-installation of the computing K-14A gun sight and corresponding twist-throttle grip for adjusting the gun sight range. Up until D-20 production, P-51D’s were fitted with the reflector N-9 gun sight, fixed back-up ring-&-bead gun sight, and earlier-design ball-grip throttle lever. At this same time, a gun sight control box, for operating the new K-14, was installed on the inner right-side of the instrument panel shroud (later moved to the left side with the P-51D-30).
During the restoration process, “Upupa Epops” went through the same system of primer and paint applications as done originally at the factory, leaving a patchwork of yellows and greens throughout the interior. On the outer skins, where spot-welding occurred, each sheet was treated exactly as it was at the factory, to allow the metal to be at the proper state for spot-welding to occur. For specific lines of spot-welds, an acid etch cleaner was brushed onto the metal, just as it was done originally at the factory. As a result, the exterior skins bare the mark of these processes, creating the factory-blend of both polished and dull skins (in service, the cleanest skins would typically dull over time, leaving a more uniform-look to the fuselage). The wings, when assembled, were filled with putty, sanded smooth, primed, and then painted dull-silver, just as originally done at the factory (the ailerons, flaps, gear doors, and main wing tank panels, were left natural metal). This process was undertaken on every Mustang from the factory, in an effort to increase the effectiveness of the laminar-flow airfoil.
Here is the Warbirdsim recreation of the restored P-51D-20NA “Upupa Epops”. Note the varied finishes, distinct laminar airfoil, and Spitfire mirror installation specifically to this aircraft.
<o:p>http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/Image4-6.jpg</o:p>
In this almost rear-quarter view, one can see the static-charge ground wire, under the tail, the pilot relief-tube exit, just in front of the base of the rudder, flaps fully deployed, coolant door fully open, and the pitot tube under the right wing.
<o:p>http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/Image5-5.jpg</o:p>
Here is an overall view of the late model D-20 cockpit, specifically as found on “Upupa Epops”. (The Spitfire mirror is distorted in this particular screenshot)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/Image6-5.jpg

Along the right side of the cockpit a fully reproduced “Setchell Carlson, Inc.” Detrola receiver can be seen mounted to the floor, authentically reproduced Electrical-Operation Inspection stickers complete with NAA inspector stamp-marks, an accurately reproduced radio detonator panel with G-band controls, radio control box, fuse boxes with accurate stencils, the signal-light power receptacle, and authentically finished placards. All font-types throughout the cockpit, are completely authentic to those used on every given part, stencil, stamp, placard, gauge etc.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/Image7-4.jpg

On the left side of the cockpit, one can see the main trim pedestal featuring all of the trim controls, flap and gear levers, carb-air controls, and bomb-salvo levers. Above this is the radiator air controls panel, and engine control unit. The brownish-maroon material, used in the bomb-salvo handles, and each trim-control base, is phenolic-resin, used as an early plastic. The landing gear placard is authentically attached via heavy staples, rather than rivets or screws.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/Image8-6.jpg

With the gun sight removed, the gun sight mounting bracket can be seen in more detail, complete with an authentic NAA inspection stamp applied (another detail straight from the restored aircraft). Also seen are the original instruments (with proper restrictions taped on), the K-14 gun sight control box, oxygen regulator, and the emergency canopy release handle.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/Image9-4.jpg

Looking back from the instrument panel, a limited view of the completely authentic rear cockpit can be seen. At the time this aircraft was produced, and as fully recreated within the restoration, the practice was to paint anything above the upper-decking of the cockpit, flat black, to reduce glare. Everything below this was left interior green. As a result, the armor plate was painted interior green, from its base, up to the upper-decking line, when the rest was painted flat black (The radio rack and the armor plate would eventually be finished entirely black, from the factory, on later models). Peaking around the armor plate, one can make out the fuselage fuel tank cell and gauge, the main radio set, battery, and fuel-line connection. The inside-mounted antenna wire-guide, as recreated from the restoration, is of the correct, early-design for the D-20.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/Image10-4.jpg

With the gun sight installed, the power chord runs directly to the gun sight control box power receptacle. Like all of the details within the cockpit, the hand-scribed graffiti on the right side of the gun sight is copied exactly from that on the restored aircraft.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/Image11-4.jpg

More to come later...

jankees
November 23rd, 2010, 11:41
:salute::salute:

looking very good, John!

Barfly
November 23rd, 2010, 11:53
Er, I may be behind the times, but when did Warbirdsim come out with a D model????

Barfly
November 23rd, 2010, 11:54
Disregard, lol I see the release message now.

Bomber_12th
November 23rd, 2010, 17:23
Thank you Jan Kees! And sorry Barfly, I was a bit quick off-the-mark with this thread posting. :)

Here are just a couple more screenshots I have on my system (note the static-charge whip along the bottom of the tail - in the first shot, it is showing its stationary position, while in the second, you can see how it is affected by the speed you are flying at, progressively pulled farther back as your speed increases):

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/Image10-5.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/Image9-5.jpg

peter12213
November 23rd, 2010, 17:25
I'm bloody skint man common! this looks amazing! The metal looks real!

Rezabrya
November 23rd, 2010, 19:49
I am really regretting my decision to spend less money on FSX. This looks amazing Bomber. Will you be updating your B and C models? I remember a thread a while back where you said you were planning to.

DX-FMJ
November 23rd, 2010, 20:03
Looks great!

Bomber_12th
November 23rd, 2010, 20:42
Rezabrya, the P-51B/C updates are most definitely still underway - the B/C design still remaining my favorite of all Mustangs. With the first set of P-51D's complete, it will be easier, I think, to get the B/C updates much further along than they have been. The most difficult aspect remaining is the rebuilding of the exterior model and birdcage canopy assembly (which seems to even be the number one nightmare faced by restorers, as there are so many parts involved in building the assembly).

Rezabrya
November 24th, 2010, 09:47
Sounds good Bomber. I hope I can swing getting the D for Xmas. we'll see...