PDA

View Full Version : 'Yay! - No More Gerhard Berger!'

Panther_99FS
November 25th, 2008, 15:42
http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-toro-rosso-again-fully-owned-by-red-bull/

wombat666
November 26th, 2008, 05:54
The loss is EffWun's .....not 'Geralds'.
:bs:

Panther_99FS
November 26th, 2008, 08:38
Sorry but...
I loved Berger IN the seat - don't like him out of seat.

And speaking of in the seat, who's really better - Berger or Barrichello? :kilroy:

Ferry_vO
November 26th, 2008, 10:15
IMHO Berger did pretty well as a teamboss! Getting the old Minardi team from the last row and even giving them their first victory is no little feat! Yes they might have 'borrowed' the car from RBR but you will still need an entire team to make progress with it. Maybe you are still upset that he kicked Scott Speed out of the car..? :d
I think any teamowner would have done that!

Panther_99FS
November 26th, 2008, 12:10
Sorry but my opinion differs from you Ferry and am I upset? Yep.

Also, Berger had a bit more backing than Minardi (cheers again to Red Bull) so better results are to be expected...

Bourdais was off to the same treatment that Speed received from Berger...We'll see how things end up....

Ferry_vO
November 26th, 2008, 12:24
The situation with Bourdais was that the team needed a big sponsor or a driver with a big bag of money. Now that Berger sold his 50% back to Red Bull I hope that's changed and Bourdais gets to keep his seat. Seems Buemi is almost certain of a drive for '09 so it's between Takuma Sato and Sebastien for the second seat.

Panther_99FS
November 26th, 2008, 13:16
Personally,
I'd like to see Bourdais get 3yrs in before they give him the axe if they so choose...(which is what I would've like to have seen Speed get..)

Ferry_vO
November 26th, 2008, 14:53
which is what I would've like to have seen Speed get..)

Attacking your boss both verbally and physically doesn't help... ;)

Panther_99FS
November 26th, 2008, 15:21
Attacking your boss both verbally and physically doesn't help... ;)

I agree 100% and you'll get no debate on this issue from me :) (However if you read about the whole episode, you'll see how Berger constantly verbally abused Speed from early on in the season.. and it was actually Franz Tost who set the whole "incident" off by shoving Speed who had walked away from a screaming Franz...)

That being said, I firmly believe Berger had already made up his mind about Speed prior to the lashing out incident by Speed, thus he had nothing to lose....

wombat666
November 26th, 2008, 19:22
Ummmmm.........Ed, Scott Speed was a 'nobody' when STR picked him up.
IIRC he won a Formula Toyota Atlantic (or was it a Barber Dodge whatever title?) and should never had an EffWun drive.
His behaviour recently in one of those NASCAR 'Truck' rounds underlined his lack of maturity and the question as to poor anger management. IMHO he is a menace to the safety of other drivers.

Bourdais is a mature and level headed driver, and STR would be bloody stupid to not run him for three full seasons.
He'll never be an upper echelon driver, but he almost always brings his car home in one piece, provided some idiot diesn't take him out.

If you read the news piece all the way through, Gerald is making a lot of sense, if he had to spend time running down potential sponsors he could not manage the team, and managing the team was his main interest.
And as I understand the 'Scott Speed Debacle', he wasn't Berger's choice and he was a full on loud mouthed smartarse.
Not a good combination.

Panther_99FS
November 26th, 2008, 20:41
Well on a positive note...
I must say that Red Bull gave Speed a much fairer chance to succeed than Ron Dennis gave to Michael Andretti...:kilroy: