PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a WWII African Desert Air Force campaign - A2G

delta_lima
November 20th, 2010, 19:27
Anyone know if a Hurricane-based, ground war-focused campaign was ever developed? I've applied my pea-sized intellect to search through both the archives and new files, and didn't see anything, but of course, you chaps are the pros ....

Many thanks - looking to bust some tanks low (and with the Hurricane, necessarily) slow! :)

cheers,

dl

Rockster234
November 20th, 2010, 19:59
I think Pombee did every Hawker Hurricane you could think of.............

and there is the MTO Mediterranean_megapatch.zip for a start.............

look under Jean Bomber for scenery

Desert_Air_Force_2.0.zip desert airforce mega pack

MG_DAF42_campaign.zip

delta_lima
November 20th, 2010, 22:36
Thanks for the quick reply! :)

OK - am likely a bit slow, even by noob standards, but I'm confused ...

I think Pombee did every Hawker Hurricane you could think of.............

and there is the MTO Mediterranean_megapatch.zip for a start.............

look under Jean Bomber for scenery

Desert_Air_Force_2.0.zip desert airforce mega pack

MG_DAF42_campaign.zip

Hurricanes - though would likely sub in the Aeroplane Heaven models using the Morton swap utility - All the Pom Bee repaints I've tried to download are down. Anyway, the aircraft are not the issue

MTO Mediterranean_megapatch.zip - sounds promising - can't find it though

Desert_Air_Force_2.0.zip desert airforce mega pack - Axis Campaign

MG_DAF42_campaign.zip - ditto

Sorry - not to be an ingrate or a chump - but other than the MTO mega patch that I can't find, the other two references aren't really answering my question regarding an RAF desert campaign. If I didn't ask clearly, I apologize - and if I'm missing something, I also apologize - just not able to connect the dots on that response ...

Many thanks though - again, no offence sought.

dl

Cees Donker
November 20th, 2010, 23:35
These are campaigns for the Italian or the German side, I think. Are there DAF campaigns which play from the British side?

:wavey:

Cees

Rami
November 21st, 2010, 03:00
Cees and Delta,

You have touched on something that I've wanted to do for ages now. I have campaigns for CFS1 that involve the Desert Air War that DO cover the Allies, and do plan on converting them. What it will basically do is extend the campaigns "in retrograde" from 1942 back to 1940, and make them dual-sided.

The problem is...I'm only one person, and one of the few people still left who has had success converting missions from CFS1 to CFS2. That's why I wrote a "how-to" guide so that others could get the hang of it...but I didn't get a lot of feedback on it other than from simonu.

Cees Donker
November 21st, 2010, 03:43
The problem is...I'm only one person, and one of the few people still left who has had success converting missions from CFS1 to CFS2. That's why I wrote a "how-to" guide so that others could get the hang of it...but I didn't get a lot of feedback on it other than from simonu.

I can help. Not with the whole campaign but at least with part of it. Where's the "how-to" guide? And where are the missions?

:wavey:

Cees

kdriver
November 21st, 2010, 04:30
There are two packages by Terry Baldwin and one by Jorge Alsina, all found in the CFS 1 campaign section at Simviation. There is also another package by Corrado La Posta, but I can't remember where I got that one. I can send them to you if you wish.

Kevin

Rami
November 21st, 2010, 06:12
Cees,

Thanks for showing interest!

Here's the how-to guide: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18402&d=1284237814

And as far as the CFS1 missions to convert...

Cees Donker
November 21st, 2010, 07:57
Cees,

Thanks for showing interest!

Here's the how-to guide: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18402&d=1284237814

And as far as the CFS1 missions to convert...

These need to be converted? I saw that a few people have already dowloaded the missions. Any volunteers to convert? Who does what?

Cees

Rami
November 21st, 2010, 08:54
Cees,

All of those I included are CFS1 missions that were going to be my "source material" to extend DAF backward to 1940. The first step is conversion, and then I've got to go through DAF 1942 and see what airfield layouts I can "hijack" so that I don't have to start from scratch.

delta_lima
November 22nd, 2010, 18:20
thanks Rami and Cees - I'm glad someone knew what I was inquiring about. If a Dutchman, an American, and a Canuck are able to communicate, life is good! :)

Well, I wouldn't know where to start on Campaign Building - but I could start some reading. I certainly have a clear sense of what I'm trying to do in terms of a campaign that follows the major DAF actions. I'll start hunting around for some good campaign building reading. In the meantime, Rami, if you have that CFS1 campaign conversion underway (I saw that one on simviation) and need a tester, I'll happily oblige.

dl

Captain Kurt
November 24th, 2010, 14:40
IMHO, the best source for RAF activities in North Africa is "Fighters Over the Desert" by Christopher Shores and Hans Ring. Another would be "Men of the Desert Air Force by Chaz Bowyer. The former is a very detailed day by day history, the second follows the careers of a score of pilots.

Both of these are pretty hard to find, but maybe your local library could help?

sc7500
November 24th, 2010, 16:24
...Both of these are pretty hard to find...

http://www.bookfinder.com/dir/i/Fighters_over_the_Desert-The_Air_Battles_in_the_Western_Desert._June_1940_t o/0668020709/

http://www.bookfinder.com/dir/i/Men_of_the_Desert_Air_Force/0718305396/

Ya just hafta ask the right questions... NO Promise that they are available, but there ya go

SC
:kilroy:

delta_lima
November 25th, 2010, 06:13
Thanks gents,

The "reading" I was referring to is material on how to create CFS2 campaings. That's the part I'm going to have to hunt down.

thankss,

Rami
November 25th, 2010, 06:42
Delta_Lima,

Check your PMs.

Seagull V
November 25th, 2010, 13:02
Not CFS2 books, but worth a read for those interested in the Aussies:-

Official histories link - http://www.awm.gov.au/histories/second_world_war/

The Desert Harassers - Memoirs of 450 (R.A.A.F.) Squadron - by Leonard L. Barton
Desert Warriors - Australian P-40 pilots at war in the Middle East and Nort Africa 1941-1943 - by Russell Brown
Alamein To The Alps - 454 Squadron RAAF 1941-1945 - by Mark Lax
Nicky Barr - An Australian Air Ace a story of courage and adventure - by Peter Dornan
Succour From The Sky - No.1 Air Ambulance Unit R.A.A.F. 1941-1945

There are quite a few others as well, some in the crazy collectors prices !!!!!!

Any good recommendations about the South Africans ?????

delta_lima
November 26th, 2010, 17:49
Thanks Rami. Going out of town for a few days - will try and do some light reading ... :)

cheers,

dl