PDA

View Full Version : Installed X3 for the first time

rohan
November 18th, 2010, 20:11
My copy of Gold finally arrived and I installed both X3TC and X3R for the first time yesterday. First reaction - what a marathon. I built what I thought was a fast machine but these two apps took around half an hour to install - each of them. Given that they come on DVDs, why the heck didn't "they" just have copies of the .dat files on the disc instead of having to reconstitute the files during the installation ?

Gripes aside, first reaction to running X3TC is - stellar !!!!! Without reading the manual, and including groping around in an unknown UI for the keyboard controls, I was able to complete the first couple of actions in the training / trader mission. But what glorious screens - like being in B5 myself. Wow-weeeeee.

Also tried the same in X3R, but no go. I'm going nowhere in this version until I've read the manual and found the controls - let's just say rather less user-friendly for a new user to the XU.

Having said all that, I have a first question. My PC's 5870 card is connected to my HDTV by HDMI and running at 1920 by 1080 resolution. When I start an X3TC game, it opens in full screen mode, and I found an option where I can set it to full or windowed mode. When I start an X3R game, all I get is a mix of full and windowed modes, in that the active display window is shown with big black bars on all four sides of the screen. Is there any way to get X3R to use all of the screen area instead of having to peer at it within a black box ? This is running under WinXP SP3 on a pair of Velocis, though I could switch to Win7 as it's dual-boot, and both games are still standard at v2.5,
thanks in advance for any input,
Ro

gigabyte
November 19th, 2010, 17:37
Great to see you finally on-line, I am sure you are going to love the game :)

Interesting problem with X3R I have not see that before and I have not fired it up in a while, I'll try to give it a quick look on the weekend and see if I can replicate your screen issue???

rohan
November 19th, 2010, 18:42
OK. Thanks, gig