PDA

View Full Version : Installing Flight Simulator X

JoeW
November 18th, 2010, 04:38
I took my computer to the local Radio Shack to get my old HD contents moved/ copied over to the 1 Tb drive I just installed. after about 2 weeks I got a call that I could pick-up my computer. I plugged everything in and what I had on C:\ was a pristine copy of Windows X and nothing else. On D:\ was a copy of my old Hard Drive minus the windows folder and the " My documents" folder. I am in the process of re-installing FSX and all my scenery. After I get it installed, can I just copy over my FSX folder? I have never had to do this before.
Thanks
Joe W.

AndyE1976
November 18th, 2010, 04:58
Yes, once you get FSX installed run it, exit and install acceleration or the service packs. run it after each one just to get it nice and initialised. Then you can copy your old FSX folder.

The install will create the necessary registry entries for FSX, but when you install add-ons they only register themselves in the FSX.cfg file.

I actually did this just a few months ago, although I chose to reinstall everything that I could find the licence keys for and only copied things that were either freeware or scenery. I haven't had any problems though.

Meshman
November 18th, 2010, 07:37
Should work for most things, but products from say, Flight1 or FS Dreamteam will need to be reinstalled due to licensing requirements. There may be others that require re installation?

allcott
November 18th, 2010, 09:39
Having just gone through all this recently, I had to physically reinstall Flight 1, Sibwings, Eaglesoft and couple of others products. Apart from that I just installed a default copy of FSX Acceleration to the same location as before, then copied it to a spare drive in case of problems, then copied my full installation straightover.

One thing I did do was be very selective about what I did reinstall though. Might want to consider whether you really NEED that Ulan Bator scenery or whether having fifteen different 737's when you only ever fly one is worth it!

JoeW
November 18th, 2010, 11:42
Them Big Dogs. I only had the default and never flew them. What I would like to have back is the Flight Replica Cubs and the A2A Cub.