PDA

View Full Version : Terrain/Landclass for North America?

Quicksand
November 17th, 2010, 06:40
I'm looking to buy a good terrain/landclass addon soon to cover at least the US and possibly Canada. Can anyone give me a HU about performance of different ones, or recommend one with crisp textures and acceptable frames?

mal998
November 17th, 2010, 06:53
I've been using Ground Environment North America. I like it. It gets rid of those MS sand colored textures. Some folks like to add Ultimate Terrain on top of that.
I really like the Grand Canyon scenery by OZx.
I'm also using Ultimate Alaska in conjunction with Tongass Fjords and Orbx Pacific North West and Pacific Fjords. I get the usual frame rate hits around certain well-known areas (Seattle etc.)

I'm sure there are a bucnh more sceneries, landclass and textures that I'm failing to remember at the moment.

23747 23748 23746 23749
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/misc/pencil.png

BOOM
November 17th, 2010, 06:59
I have Flight1's Ultimate Terrain,It's very good compared to FSX default,but really ORBX PNW and The newly released PFJ are incredibly detailed,and if you have FS Addons Tongass Forjds,[which blends in perfectly] its a Bush flyers dream!!!:jump:

Quicksand
November 17th, 2010, 08:17
Mal and Boom, did you take any hit on frames as compared to stock? Right now the only environment addon I run is REX, and so far it seems the same on frames as stock, but I am wary of overloading my system. I am looking for landclass because FSX decided my hometown doesn't exist. The airport is there (KGEV), but absolute wilderness surrounds it. Does Ground Environment or UT correct the landclass for my area? I like to fly alot around KGEV and KHKY. BTW: Thanks for posting the screenies. It looks like a major improvement over stock terrain.

Reddog
November 17th, 2010, 08:54
besides what's already been mentioned there is Cloud9 and Scenery Tech landclass too.

paulb
November 17th, 2010, 10:24
Mal and Boom, did you take any hit on frames as compared to stock? Right now the only environment addon I run is REX, and so far it seems the same on frames as stock, but I am wary of overloading my system. I am looking for landclass because FSX decided my hometown doesn't exist. The airport is there (KGEV), but absolute wilderness surrounds it. Does Ground Environment or UT correct the landclass for my area? I like to fly alot around KGEV and KHKY. BTW: Thanks for posting the screenies. It looks like a major improvement over stock terrain.

I use the Europe versions of UTX and GEX (along with FEX). I can't say that I have noticed any performance hits after installing them. Basically, if you buy both, then install UTX first. This changes/adds/enhances the roads, coastlines etc and adds new water textures and much enhanced night lighting. Then add GEX. GEX is actual made to recognise UTX and to work with it. GEX primarily changes the ground textures and some of the autogen buildings and makes all of the autogen fit and look better. Overall, I have been delighted with my purchases.

There are some reviews around - on Avsim I think - if you want to check them out more before you buy.

BTW, I bought Europe because that is mainly where I fly. Great value (as are the USA versions) since they enhance a huge area. However, I think that the very best (from reading reviews etc) is the OrbX scenery. I have just purchased Pacific Northwest and am waiting for it to arrive! But bear in mind that it covers a much smaller area.

Cheers

Paul

JimC1702
November 17th, 2010, 10:38
One thing that keeps getting repeated in various forums is that UTX is a landclass product which it is not. UTX-USA contains URBAN landclass only. Outside of urban areas default FSX landclass will be displayed, which is pretty poor. I have FSGenesis, Scenery Tech, and Cloud 9 landclass and have tried them all. Where I mostly fly, in the northeastern USA, I've found FSGenesis to be the best for displaying small villages and hamlets. I use the UTX "sandwich" method for using both the FSGenesis landclass and the UTX urban landclass.

I also use FSGenesis mesh for proper elevations, GEX for ground textures, and REX for sky, cloud, and water textures. All together, they make for a great flying environment.

Jim

Quicksand
November 17th, 2010, 11:27
Thanks for the info, guys. Jim, if I got FSGenesis, and GEX, which would I install first? I've used FSGenesis in FS9, and most town showed up with it installed if I remember correctly.

JimC1702
November 17th, 2010, 11:58
Thanks for the info, guys. Jim, if I got FSGenesis, and GEX, which would I install first? I've used FSGenesis in FS9, and most town showed up with it installed if I remember correctly.

It wouldn't matter with those two as they do different things.

Jim

OleBoy
November 17th, 2010, 12:46
Something new
..Just checked my email and got a message from Pilots. Might be worth a look for these products. I use them in fs04
...http://www.fsim.net/AspNet/Default.aspx

Quicksand
November 17th, 2010, 13:21
They look good, judging from the screenshots. More choices!