PDA

View Full Version : Is there any Messerschmitt Bf-109 for FSX?

PHo17
November 17th, 2010, 06:37
I have a plenty of Me Bf-109 freeware planes for FS2004 but is there any freeware for FSX? I haven't found any.

ICDP
November 17th, 2010, 09:11
http://www.a2asimulations.com/store/solo/bf109/

This is an update to the A2A Bf109 for FS9. It is fully FSX compatible but does not have bump maps as it uses the older FS9 textures. Every other 109 available are pure FS9 models imported.

majorv
November 17th, 2010, 09:32
Also, JustFlight has a native FSX version of the Bf 109:

http://www.justflight.com/product.asp?pid=517

I own it as part of the 70th Anniversary Battle of Britain collection. However, I rarely fly it because the cockpit textures seem flat and somewhat cartoonish. Last time I flew it, I then flew the Classics Hangar FW190 right after and was blown away by how much more realistic it looked and felt than the JustFlight 109. Haven't thought about flying the JF 109 since.

PHo17
November 17th, 2010, 22:36
Thank you for the information. Those both are however payware. Propably there isn't any good or acceptable freeware 109s for FSX at the moment.

Pekka

IanP
November 18th, 2010, 01:36
The vast majority of freeware Bf109s for "FS9" are actually, as has already been said, CFS2 models (which are actually FS8 format). These will not work in FSX and I have been having exactly the same problem with other WW2 aircraft - freeware examples simply don't exist. probably because "CFS4" doesn't exist that uses FSX's model format or one compatible with it.

The main reason is that modelling for FSX is vastly more complex and time consuming than it has been for previous versions of the sim. Demands are also higher (fully clickable VCs, bump, reflection and enviromental maps on textures, much higher level of model detail demanded, much higher flight model fidelity demanded), which puts all but the most dedicated off doing any modelling whatsoever.

It's a major downside to "progress" in the sim, really. For every step we take forwards in terms of realism, it's a step away from freeware and towards everything having to be commercial in order to be actually able to develop for the sim!

Ian P.

Daube
November 18th, 2010, 01:59
There is no freeware native FSX Me-109 for now.
However, the FS9 Aeroplane Heaven Me-109 (now freeware) might work, if you're not using the DirectX10 preview option.