PDA

View Full Version : Wish me luck

JimC1702
November 16th, 2010, 17:25
An FSX re-install is in my near future. I installed CFS 3 this weekend. I knew I hadn't liked it but couldn't remember why. After about 10 minutes, I realized why and uninstalled it. It must have taken stuff from FSX with it because when I tried to run FSX, I got the dreaded "Fatal Error" message.

I tried all the usual, removing logbook.bin, removing FSX.cfg, running the TweakFS registry utility. Nothing helped. Finally ran a repair from the Acceleration disc and that didn't help either. I get the splash screen for about a minute, then the fatal error message.

Here's the real point of my post. I'm thinking of leaving my old install intact and renaming FSX.EXE, then making a new install. I'll re-install all my payware over time, but I'd like to have the old install to copy over certain things like AI planes and traffic files, repaints, etc.

Does this sound like a viable plan? Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

Jim

mfitch
November 17th, 2010, 13:25
Is your plan to uninstall then re-install or just install again.

If you install without uninstalling first, there is the potential for registry issues to not be fixed. But you could certainly rename the directory first then install again fixing any file issues.

If you want to uninstall first, then you would need to copy the directory somewhere. This would keep all the files in place.

Which ever way you do it, good luck. I have been planning to re-install mine to move it off the system hard drive. Maybe over Thanksgiving weekend I will do mine.

JimC1702
November 17th, 2010, 16:49
I ended up not re-installing. I figured I had nothing to lose so I ran a repair from the original FSX disc. Tried to run FSX but it crashed again. Re-booted my computer, then ran a repair from the Acceleration disc, and VOILA....it worked! I copied my FSX.cfg file back into FSX and everything is back the way it was.

I'm a happy camper!

Jim

CodyValkyrie
November 17th, 2010, 17:41
I guess luck wasn't needed! Glad to hear you got er' all fixed.