PDA

View Full Version : Driver Updates

stormtrooper271
November 15th, 2010, 12:06
Today I went to update the video card drivers in my laptop, I downloaded the new ones from ATI and uninstalled the old ones, then ran the installer for the new drivers and restarted my laptop.

When I logged back in the new drivers didn't start right away and I was stuck for a little bit then I received a message that said drivers have updated and a restart is required.

After the restart I opened the Catalyst Control Center and found that the drivers had never changed, nor did the catalyst Control Center change, there should have been some change because the drivers are from a year ago when I first got the laptop, where did I go wrong?

stansdds
November 16th, 2010, 01:56
Windows Vista or Windows 7 perhaps? The security settings in Vista and 7 can make driver updates a hassle. I went through the same thing with my Vista laptop. You need to be logged in as administrator, turn off all of the UAC security stuff, then uninstall old and install new drivers.

stormtrooper271
November 16th, 2010, 13:48
I am using Windows 7 64-bit, I checked the folders where the drivers are and there are 2 folders that contain graphics things, the first where the original drivers were located is

C:\AMD\Catalyst_Mobility_64-bit_util this folder was last updated on 3/26/2010

the new folder is...

C:\ATI\Support\10-10_mobility_vista_win7_32-64_ccc this folder was last updated on 11/15/2010

Could the stuff in the older folder be overriding the stuff in the newer folder?

When I installed I didn't select "delete driver software for this device" I have a strong feeling that this is my problem.

stansdds
November 17th, 2010, 01:47
Yes, it is generally advisable when updating video drivers to remove the old drivers first, otherwise, conflicts are likely to arise.