PDA

View Full Version : Longbow 2

MrReset
November 14th, 2010, 08:13
H folks!

I buyed Longbow 2 and I'm stunned! A great HeloSim!
Has someone links for mods/missions etc?
I found http://www.helosim.com/ only a review!

Thanks!

BPbobafett1982
November 14th, 2010, 08:47
I got that game the day it released. I used to play it all the time (win98se), unfortunately my updated computer can not play it anymore (win7 64bit).

My favorite missions were when I'd choose the Kiowa warrior and mount the rocket pod on te side and fly nap of the earth to the target and blow the crap out of it. Oh the fun times i had.

Roadburner440
November 14th, 2010, 09:33
Brought back some memories here. I miss going to my locker to get my mission, and roll on out in the helicopter to complete it. I always wound up dying though. I was also a big fan of the Jane's USAF game's, and had a few of those. Those were back in the days when I had my old Sidewinder FF II. Unforuntately my computers cannot play these games anymore, and I do not even know what happened to the discs. I found the instruction book for Longbow 2, and Jane's USAF while going through stuff awhile back and pitched them in the trash. Was around the same time I was playing Need For Speed, and Motor City Online on the computer. Now almost everything has gone to gaming consoles. Was at least 10-12 years ago. Which is why you won't find much, if anything for that game anymore.

BOOM
November 14th, 2010, 10:51
I never got Longbow2,but I had Jane's F-15E Strike Eagle and F/A-18E SuperHornet. Both fantastic Study sims w/t Beautiful Grafics for those day's.

Incidentally,The next Combat Sim/Module from DCS is rumored to be The AH64-A Apache.
I guess we'll have to wait and find out,but if it's anything like the A-1OC even in Beta stage it will ROCK!!!!:jump:

Toastmaker
November 16th, 2010, 04:25
Speaking of eggbeaters. . . anyone know why they were designed for the command pilot to sit in the right seat ??

:running:

sarwulf
November 16th, 2010, 09:33
Based on my limited knowlege of helicopters :-), the general layout of the helicopter controls with the collective control on the left side and the cyclic usually centered between the pilot's legs, during flight it is much easier for the pilot to release the collective control while he manipulated the center console buttons and switches as needed. Early helicopters did not have the now common friction knobs and systems that can hold the position of the controls to where the pilot sets them or as now with the helicopter capable of flying hands off by using autopilots and flight director coupling of the controls. In those early days, it was more critical that the pilot never released his/her grip on the cyclic, lest they lose control of the helicopter. Other folks may have some additional historcal perspective on this.

SARWULF

Toastmaker
November 16th, 2010, 15:21
Thanks - that seems like a logical consideration.

Roadburner440
November 16th, 2010, 15:33
I don't have historical perspective, but on the H-60 the AFCS is nothing more than a fancy auto-trim. It just holds the controls to the last known position, or repositions them to the original position that the AFCS was engaged at unless you hold down the trim release switches. There are also some stability augmentation features it offers, but essentially it is a fancy trim system. Works well, but it is still policy to have one pilot hands on controls at all times. Cause the computer has a tendency to kick offline abruptly (especially in the summer heat), and you get the out of control situation you describe. As far as historical perspective I have no idea. I have sat right seat doing startups a few times, and it is interesting how differently the controls move with the rotors engaged as opposed to not.

Bjoern
November 17th, 2010, 14:52
I prefer the "Enemy Engaged" series.

RAH-66...*Drool*

Rockster234
November 19th, 2010, 10:48
Jane's was the hieght of Military Inteligence during the 1990's..........

They created a commercial Military Game Division that was the best and at the peak at the end of the 1990's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQGHWF0s57s

Jane's Longbow 2...........was just short of sitting in the cockpit .........for the times and systems available to the retail consumer.

Barr none.!!!!!!!!!!!

I spent hours flying nap of the earth ......trying to avoid ZSu-23's Shilka, 2S-6M Tunguska's, SA-8 Greko's, SA-6 Gainfuls, SA-9 Gaskins

Just to pop up and squeeze off some hellfires radar and infra-red ......and that chain gun for the unexpected

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wrBcFJoySo

Then came ...

Razorworks Enemy Engage Apache............ and Apache versus Havoc

Don't forget .....

Digital Integration...........Apache ........Hind........close third for gaming

And ...

Microprose's Gunship had some great mods last I dabbled in Helo's sims