PDA

View Full Version : Anyone own a e-book reader?

rayrey10
November 11th, 2010, 05:00
Any recommendations?

I'm thinking about getting an ebook reader. I'm starting to read more, and like the idea of being able to download a book right away and not having to worry about recycling the book when I am done.

The iPad is the best choice because all of the other things that it can do, but it cost twice as much as the other devices.

Terry
November 11th, 2010, 05:59
Suggest you read this from the WSJ. Bottom line is don't buy yet.

http://online.wsj.com/article_email/SB10001424052748703447004575449953277291226-lMyQjAxMTAwMDAwMzEwNDMyWj.html

TARPSBird
November 11th, 2010, 12:03
The WSJ article brings up some good points, especially the pricing inconsistencies between e-book and hard-copy versions. Still, for those of you who want an e-book reader may I suggest the Barnes & Noble Nook or NookColor as an alternative to the Kindle and whatever else is out there. The basic Nook Wi-Fi version is $149, 3G+Wi-Fi is $199, and the new NookColor is $249. My work shifts have been cut way back so I've not yet got hands-on with the NookColor, but the standard Nook versions are nice units and have been very well received by our customers. http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/index.asp?

rayrey10
November 11th, 2010, 12:21
Thanks for the advice and links. I do need to do more research and really see how many books I am going to read, and gauge to see if an e-book reader is worth it for me.

rpjkw
November 11th, 2010, 12:27
The e-book idea has always intrigued me and I can think of a couple of instances where one would be a convenience. But I prefer a hardback book even though they are more trouble than paperbacks. Over the years I've collected over 1200 hardbacks. My study runneth over, but I can't imagine not having them.

Perhaps someday.......

Bob

Cloud9Gal
November 11th, 2010, 14:22
I recently purchased Barnes & Noble's Nook and I must say that I LOVE IT!!

I have always been an avid reader and have tons of books to prove it.
Before making my purchase, I read a lot of reviews on the Nook and the Kindle. After much consideration, I went with the Nook, mainly because of its "Lend Me" feature, which allows you to lend books to other Nook users.

While I certainly love the new gadgets and technology, there's something to be said about the feeling of a hardcover book in my hands. The pages, the jacket, etc.
Even though I have an e-reader, I will continue to buy some of my books in hardcover.

Hope this helps!

Let us know what you decide to buy rayrey!

n4gix
November 11th, 2010, 16:34
I just use my ancient laptop (Pentium 2, 1GB RAM, Win 98), but I can load any .pdf or .html format book.

Many of the books I like are available for free (mostly science fiction from Baen Publisher)...

I'm one of my local library's most frequent patrons, as I typically check out at least six books each week. :bump:

TARPSBird
November 11th, 2010, 17:37
I'm one of my local library's most frequent patrons, as I typically check out at least six books each week.
And that is a good habit to have. Bookstores are nice for when you want to build a collection of your favorite authors or for books you want to hold onto, but you can get so much more at your local library for free. You can check out a new release and if it stinks you're not out $25 or more. :d

Lionheart
November 11th, 2010, 22:21
I saw the 'BUK or BUC or NUC' today, the Barnes and Noble device. I couldnt believe how nice it was. I was very impressed, by how it had things from a web navigator to games to books to other things in it. But most impressive was the price. Very affordable. The iPad is about the price of a very high end laptop if you get the 3G with max HD space. Thats about 1,000 USD. The NUC (what ever it is called) is from $144.00 to $244.00. Brilliant!

Also, the HTC Windows7 phone just released, and I havent been more perplexed and amazed and fascinated by a window OS system since Apple. The animations are uncomprehensible to explain... Bottom line, brilliant! (again).. (thus, if it has an eBook system in it, you could get that as well).

I love my iPad. I use it for so many things. It really is a giant iPod, but its like a small laptop without the keyboard, 'instant-on', and fast, no stuttering or stalling, and I am reading a book by Joel Osteen in it, with options like bookmark, highlighter, notes, etc, and I am captivated, by the book of course. (I read it on the treadmill).

You also have like 5,000 or 7,000 apps that will run on it, about 1/3rd of those are freeware, (reminds me of FS9).

Difficult call. The NUC stuttered when I was checking it out. The new HTC Win7 phone made me druel on myself, and embarrassed me tremendously by going mute for perhaps 5 min's as I played with the control panel, mumbling incoherently...

Anyways, may you make the best decision possible and may it make you happy for many years.

Bill

kilo delta
November 12th, 2010, 01:33
I just use my ancient laptop (Pentium 2, 1GB RAM, Win 98), but I can load any .pdf or .html format book.

Many of the books I like are available for free (mostly science fiction from Baen Publisher)...

:

Same here...I use an old Alienware Sentia 12.1" laptop for reading my ebook/ezine collection. Physical books/magazines take up too much space...and electronic copies are kinder to the environment! :P :)

jmig
November 12th, 2010, 03:15
I am considering buying a Color NOOK for work. I carry a l of manuals and technical papers. Most are in pdf format. It would be nice to have all that stuff in one easy to carry inexpensive device.

rayrey10
December 20th, 2010, 16:15
I bought my wife an iPad and installed the iBook app. I like everything about it except for the fact the iPad has lighted screen (if that makes sense) which tires my eyes quickly...even with my reading glasses on. Also, it's hard to read out in the sun or brightly lit places. I like to sit outside when the weather is nice and read.

With that being said I think I am going to research a bit more, and try out the Kindle and the Nook.

EasyEd
December 20th, 2010, 16:45
Hey All,

My wife bought me an sony reader a couple years ago. I used it some but have never gotten into it so it just sits around. I got her one (revenge?) and she loves it and uses hers all the time. I have two problems with it - 1) awkward size as it doesn't fit into a pocket (she can put hers into her purse) and I rarely carry a briefcase or backpack and so never carry it - I didn't want to be this guy LRecos7TcA0&feature=related and 2) I'm used to reaching for a real genuine book rather than something electronic to read on - although I probably could get used to it. I'm kind of hoping for a touch or a samsung galaxy type of thing and will try reading on that.

-Ed-

rayrey10
December 20th, 2010, 17:50
Ed,
So you don't like "European shoulder bags" or "satchels"?!!! :bump:

Chacha
December 20th, 2010, 19:42
I bought my wife an iPad and installed the iBook app. I like everything about it except for the fact the iPad has lighted screen (if that makes sense) which tires my eyes quickly...even with my reading glasses on. Also, it's hard to read out in the sun or brightly lit places. I like to sit outside when the weather is nice and read.

With that being said I think I am going to research a bit more, and try out the Kindle and the Nook.

Hey Rayrey...

I have a Kindle2, I enjoy it...

and an iPad....
If you set the iPad brightness to minimum brightness (NOT off)
Your eyes won't be hurting a lot...

Turning the brightness OFF will turn off your wifi when you put iPad to sleep

TARPSBird
December 20th, 2010, 20:10
rayrey10,
Pls see my post in this thread...
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=47204&p=524473#post524473
:mixedsmi:

EasyEd
December 20th, 2010, 20:15
Hey All,

Ed,
So you don't like "European shoulder bags" or "satchels"?!!! :bump:

Would Sky King or John Wayne walk around carrying their wife's purse?

Nuff said. :bump:

-Ed-

Penzoil3
December 21st, 2010, 00:09
Bought mine over a year ago. I love it. Lots of places to download free books. With Kindle you have to buy books from Amazon. Not so with a Sony.
One charge will last several weeks. An Ac charger is available, or it will charge with the USB cable hooked to your computer. It's screen is glare resistant. You can choose the size of the print. They are a lot cheaper now, than when I bought mine, but I don't regret it in the least.
Sue

HighGround22
December 21st, 2010, 06:43
Yeah, likewise, I have a recent Kindle. Not too much money, bags of books available for it, and it's a treat to use! All the same features as listed above (Sony).

One caveat I quickly learned: Don't scrimp and order one without a jacket. I.E., buy a jacket too -- especially if you like to read in bed, as I do. It's a bit tiresome holding onto a bare Kindle for any length of time, whereas with the jacket/binder, it's more like a "real", two-sided book, and you can hang onto it much easier. Go for a red or a black one; the other colours are just a bit too "darling-sweet".

Can't tell you how many times I've been lying in bed, reading on the Kindle, and something I'm reading makes me think of another book I always wanted to read. So a quick diversion to the "Store", search for the book title, say Okay, and poof!, I have the book in my Kindle -- and my head never left the pillow. As a result, I always have a stock of new books ready to read in my Library.

And I like the way Amazon automatically sets-up an email account for your Kindle, where you can send it any external documents. F'rinstance, I can copy an article from online, plop it into a .PDF file and email it to my Kindle. Shazam! and it's available for reading. Neat-oh.

Probably other readers will come along and beat the pants off the thing, but meanwhile, I'd not be without my trusty Kindle.

b52bob
December 21st, 2010, 07:05
Got the ipad and love it. Put all my FS manuals and checklists on it and it stays by my computer while flying.

Some great FREE apps for it also.

Bob

rayrey10
December 21st, 2010, 16:49
Thanks all! I really appreciate the info!

rayrey10,
Pls see my post in this thread... [

That's sounds good. I'll swing by a B&N after the holidays and check it out.

Hey All,

Would Sky King or John Wayne walk around carrying their wife's purse?

Nuff said. :bump:

-Ed-

Wouldn't dream of it. 26047

CybrSlydr
December 21st, 2010, 17:28
While I love technology and gadgets, I'll always prefer an actual book in my hands to an e-reader.

The feel of the paper, the smell of the glue... Some things just aren't meant to be replaced by technology.

There's something to be said about the tactile nature of reading an actual book.

Penzoil3
December 21st, 2010, 23:54
The problem is running out of places to put more book shelves. An e-book is measured in kilobytes. I can store zillions on a couple DVDs. Suck them off the computer onto the reader with a USB cable...voila no more shelf space needed! I love real books too, there just isn't anymore room.
I hate having to thin my library to make room...
Sue

rayrey10
December 22nd, 2010, 05:56
The problem is running out of places to put more book shelves. An e-book is measured in kilobytes. I can store zillions on a couple DVDs. Suck them off the computer onto the reader with a USB cable...voila no more shelf space needed! I love real books too, there just isn't anymore room.
I hate having to thin my library to make room...
Sue

That's one of the main reason for me getting an ebook reader. I don't mind donating my books to the library or to hospitals/hospices. Reason #2 is that I can read a book, a magazine and a newspaper and only carry one small apparatus.

Chacha
December 22nd, 2010, 06:06
That's one of the main reason for me getting an ebook reader. I don't mind donating my books to the library or to hospitals/hospices. Reason #2 is that I can read a book, a magazine and a newspaper and only carry one small apparatus.

..... :ernae:

So true...
Main reason I have one...

rayrey10
January 19th, 2011, 17:49
rayrey10,
Pls see my post in this thread...
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=47204&p=524473#post524473

TARPSBird,

Took your advice and I went down to the local Barnes & Noble over the weekend and bought a Nook Color. Neat little apparatus. Right now I'm enjoying the free magazine/newspaper grace period. I also bought my first book. The web browser leaves a bit to be desired but I have a laptop and Android phone so that's not a big issue. The image quality is awesome.

I like it so much that I turned the iPad over to the Missus. I'll use the iPad on occasions, to watch a movie or Youtube, but I'm definitely using the Nook to read books.

Thanks!

TARPSBird
January 19th, 2011, 21:56
rayrey10,
Glad to hear you're happy with your Nook Color. :)
Thanks for taking the time to give me some feedback.