PDA

View Full Version : Hawkeye

SeanTK
November 10th, 2010, 20:56
Hi,

Does anyone know of any E-2C/D "Hawkeye" aircraft in development for FSX?

Other than the Abacus offering, which in my opinion leaves quite a lot to be desired for payware, we have not had a full model (with VC) since the days of FS2002.

Thanks for any info,

-Sean

PRB
November 11th, 2010, 05:45
Don't know of any. E-2 would be a cool plane to have in FS though.

Prowler1111
November 11th, 2010, 05:53
We have one(2 actually), also Milviz was working on one, donīt know about MIlvizīs but ours is on hold until we get further into new code development (mainly, a "REAL" radar...), itīs on the way, but it does takes time.
Best regards
Prowler

SeanTK
November 11th, 2010, 08:32
Understood. Thank you for the information.
It's nice to know that some are at least in development, even if they are still a couple years from release yet. :)

Roadburner440
November 11th, 2010, 13:59
We are not actively working on the Hawkeye. We have quite a few projects in the pipeline, but that one is not in production. Once we clear the current slate, and start looking to what birds we will be doing in the future then we may do it. The model that is done, and on the website was done for a CG project Colin did in the past, so it is optimized for detail. Not for FSX. That is where we stand on that though. If we did do it then it would be at least a year or so off I figure by the time we clear out our current project load. Ideally I (not Colin so this is no promise by me from Milviz as I am not the boss lol) would like to do a C-2A/E-2C type package. Like I said though it remains to be seen what lies ahead o the current project list. We may be putting up polls and such as our projects get released to see what direction people would like us to go. Me being a Naval Aviation guy though I am biased obviously towards our own inventory of birds. Prowler is to busy making his A-7, and then redoing my A-6/EA-6B to their new standards. :jump: I cannot wait to see what they look like on the second go around.

airattackimages
November 15th, 2010, 07:31
I really really really would love to see both the Hawkeye and/or the Greyhound. Such ignored aircraft... and they're so awesome!

Navy Chief
November 15th, 2010, 07:55
I really really really would love to see both the Hawkeye and/or the Greyhound. Such ignored aircraft... and they're so awesome!

Prior to the advent of internet and email, the ONLY way mail arrived onboard ship was through COD (Carrier Onboard Delivery) Greyhound flights, or sometimes from supply ships during at-sea underway replenishments (Unreps). So when a COD was scheduled to land on any given day, it was a GOOD day!!!

NC

Roadburner440
November 15th, 2010, 09:49
Even in the good old net age, sometimes the best mail is the mail that comes on board during an UNREP (never been on a carrier, so never had to deal with the whole Cod thing). When I was going cruising I was lower ranking so good luck getting a spot on the computer, cause on the frigates/destroyers we always had 1 in the shop for our detachment. Then they had a computer lab below decks with anywhere from 3-5 depending on which ones decided to crap out on deployment. Also to they have what is called "River City" where they turn off all external communications. You want to talk about people flipping their lid.... Certaintly makes things interesting. I always just count on the monthly package, and a phone call every so often when we are in port.

airattackimages
November 15th, 2010, 10:32
I love hearing old stories about the boat! :applause:

Speaking of Greyhounds... Here is a series of shots I took at the LSO shack at NAF El Centro. "Password 37" working in some FCLP bounces on a trip out from North Island before sunset...

I might add being flown by a female flight crew. :jump: One of which was 'Dani' (she's pretty cute). :salute:

Navy Chief
November 15th, 2010, 12:15
.....they have what is called "River City" where they turn off all external communications. You want to talk about people flipping their lid.... Certaintly makes things interesting. I always just count on the monthly package, and a phone call every so often when we are in port......

Which is ALL we had all the time! Occasionally the ham shack would allow outgoing connections, with a ham operator back in the states, who would then make a call to home. You got a maximum of 5 minutes. Each time you said something, you would say "over", and then your wife or girlfriend on the other end would do the same thing. Not exactly a private conversation! But it was contact nonetheless. And you would have to wait for hours for that chance.

NC

Z-AZ1USN
November 15th, 2010, 12:40
And to add to the NC comment about how mail was flown via COD to the
carrier, I can remember when I was on a Det to Fallon and before there was Electronic checking, a load of Govt. paychecks were put into a blivet that was on a F-4 leaving
NAS Miramar to NAS Fallon (where we were on gunnery Det) and the pilot inadverntenly
punched the eject button on the blivet and ...you guessed it,.. all the paychecks were launched
into the wind.... Bummer!!!! They ended up recutting new checks.

Roadburner440
November 15th, 2010, 13:52
That would suck. We have something now similar to the ham operator thing you describe NC. Usually only people with emergencies, or higher ups use it. When I am on watch I get calls all the time from these ships (as they can only call DSN lines), and have to write down the number to transfer them out in town.

Sorry to hear about the paycheck ordeal. Being only on smaller ships the only way for us to send mail is when we pull into port, or UNREP it back onto the USNS. I did see on my gulf cruise though a MH-60S had to pickle a pallet (looked like mail, but I have no idea) when VERTREP while UNREP. Was standing on the flight deck of the DDG when all you say was "plunk" into the ocean.

Navy Chief
November 15th, 2010, 14:01
..... had to pickle a pallet when VERTREP while UNREP.....

I don't know if the story is true, but I'd heard that a CH-46 had dropped a pallet during a VERTREP, and the Soviet destroyer that was shadowing the carrier picked it up for themselves. Supposedly part of the dropped pallet's inventory were a lot of boom boxes, destined for the ship's store. The running joke was that the Soviets wouldn't have the batteries to run them, or the proper wall current. No idea if that was true or not. But we joked about it at the time.

brianf51
November 16th, 2010, 08:46
Yes I like the sound of an E2 for FSX. Will seriously think about doing one of those if I can get a decent radar. Hint hint Jim..