PDA

View Full Version : Texan

noddy
November 10th, 2010, 09:10

Helldiver
November 10th, 2010, 09:38
Just a perfect looking Texan. I suppose there's a SNJ too. Where did you find this prize? I'd sure would like to fly her.

Kiwikat
November 10th, 2010, 09:52
I sure wish we could get a nice T-6 or T-28 someday. The current ones are quite aged...

I'd never be able to put down the controls of an A2A Texan or Trojan.

delta_lima
November 10th, 2010, 11:54
I'm guessing that's the Alphasim model. I had it, but compared to the Warwick Carter model, I chose the latter. Freeware of phenomenal quality, with a nicer VC, in my view - plus, has the option of a tailhook (accidentally found out that little gem the other day!)

So, a couple of options there, HD.

dl

noddy
November 10th, 2010, 12:06
Yes it's the Alphasim model.

merida72
November 10th, 2010, 12:55
noddy you are a very real talent! :ernae:

Dexdoggy
November 10th, 2010, 14:18
Great pics Noddy!

Delta-Lima,
I am very fond of Warwick's freeware model too, it's a beaut!

mmann
November 10th, 2010, 14:33
I have the Alphasim, Sky Unlimited and Warwick Carter models. I wish I could take certain characteristics of each to make one super model. In the end I don't have the time so I end up using just the Alphasim model which to me is the most enjoyable one to fly.

Regards, Mike Mann

delta_lima
November 10th, 2010, 15:10
Indeed, they are all good. The only drawback about the Carter model (which has nothing to do with it per se) is that there around only a half dozen repaints for it. Since one of the default ones is a standard RCAF repaint, I'm happy .... :)

... but given most folks like the USAAF, USN, USMC etc repaints, the selection for those in the Alphasim model is considerable. For example, William Henry did a bunch of repaints, for a whole host of user countries - so likely why the Alphasim is so popular. And for good reason, for those repaints are not only in abundance, but in standard William Henry fashion - they are of superlative quality.

dl

stansdds
November 11th, 2010, 02:08
I like Warwick Carter's T-6, great aircraft, complex engine start routine, handles like I would expect a T-6 to handle (follow the instructions to the letter for start and tail wheel lock/unlock). More repaints for his T-6 would be great and his T-6 is freeware. Sad statement, but sometimes freeware looks better and flies better than the payware aircraft.

mmann
November 11th, 2010, 04:31
Sad statement, but sometimes freeware looks better and flies better than the payware aircraft.

How true! The same can be said for scenery as well (the looks better part anyway). I remember when I first flew around Victoria, B.C. with Orbx PNW installed and how disappointed I was. The freeware Victoria+ scenery made Orbx look like total garbage in that area!

Regards, Mike Mann

delta_lima
November 11th, 2010, 07:58
How true! The same can be said for scenery as well (the looks better part anyway). I remember when I first flew around Victoria, B.C. with Orbx PNW installed and how disappointed I was. The freeware Victoria+ scenery made Orbx look like total garbage in that area!

Regards, Mike Mann

Indeed, but there's some fantastic scenery coming out of late focusing on BC - it looks great! A certain Mr. Mike Mann ... does good work ... :wavey: :salute:

dl

Helldiver
November 12th, 2010, 07:30
noddy, I downloaded the Alphasim's Texan but the one I have does not have shadowing of the tail on the fuselage nor the aircraft that you pictured. Is there two Texans?

Helldiver
November 12th, 2010, 13:44
Noddy, I found it.

peter12213
November 12th, 2010, 15:56
Thats a photoreal repaint I think Helldiver mate, looks too clean for the sim shadowing, Andy is the master of **** pollishing though lol! Not saying his PC is crap but he makes what microsft fail to do look spectacular! :salute:

Bomber_12th
November 12th, 2010, 16:18
Actually that repaint is just one example of what one can do by hand, with enough skill, not relying on photos for textures - created by the exceptionally-skilled Henry William I do believe.

peter12213
November 12th, 2010, 17:04
Actually that repaint is just one example of what one can do by hand, with enough skill, not relying on photos for textures - created by the exceptionally-skilled Henry William I do believe.

Clearly, Noddy's skill and the artists absolute skill at repainting such a boring model makes it great!!!

NickB
November 12th, 2010, 23:21
Noddy's stunning pictures inspired me to get my FS9 version out again. Does anyone know where I can get Alphasims FSX Harvard/Texan? I did ask at Virtavia but they haven't replied yet.

fsafranek
November 13th, 2010, 10:27
Noddy's stunning pictures inspired me to get my FS9 version out again. Does anyone know where I can get Alphasims FSX Harvard/Texan? I did ask at Virtavia but they haven't replied yet.

http://www.flightsimstore.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=173&products_id=1379
:ernae:

fsafranek
November 13th, 2010, 10:37
noddy, I downloaded the Alphasim's Texan but the one I have does not have shadowing of the tail on the fuselage nor the aircraft that you pictured. Is there two Texans?
The FSX version does have self-shadowing. Maybe you're flying the FS9 version in FSX?
There was a v2 release for the FSX version as well. Don't recall what it addressed though.

noddy
November 13th, 2010, 12:26
No trickery on my part, all down to self shadow on FSX and of course Henry Williams wonderful paint system.

Glad you like the shots guys.

NickB
November 13th, 2010, 14:39
http://www.flightsimstore.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=173&products_id=1379

Thanks Frank :jump: